Domestic Tranquility

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
Police in Tempe, Arizona, announced plans in July for a “positive ticketing” campaign to pull over drivers who had violated no traffic laws. A Phoenix TV station reported that the police would give the people they targeted free soft-drink coupons for Circle K as a reward for their “good driving behavior.” Police in other areas have run similar programs in recent years but the TV news report on Tempe’s plan spurred a torrent of testy Tweets:

The “Officer Friendly” Police Fantasy

The fantasy is that cops are servants to citizens.

Screw that. If they wanted to reward me, they could offer me some of the guns and drugs they confiscated.

Never mind: Just the guns. Drugs are bad.

Police in Tempe, Arizona, announced plans in July for a “positive ticketing” campaign to pull over drivers who had violated no traffic laws. A Phoenix TV station reported that the police would give the people they targeted free soft-drink coupons for Circle K as a reward for their “good driving behavior.” Police in other areas have run similar programs in recent years but the TV news report on Tempe’s plan spurred a torrent of testy Tweets:

--------------------------------- willing SUBJECTS subservient to all authority wearing Special hats and badges is whats being grown in the USA GDjjr .

4th Amendment problems with this.

Exactly. So what happens when the officer smells the pot emanating from Mr. Driver's car?

Boom: Probable cause, and we get to watch the hilarious result on LivePD.

:laughing0301:

4th Amendment problems with this.

Hey! “Freedom is not a concept in which people can do anything they want, be anything they can be. Freedom is about authority. Freedom is about the willingness of every single human being to cede to lawful authority a great deal of discretion about what you do.” - Rudy Giuliani

I tell ya. Some people. Get with the program, fncceo.

"Good afternoon sir. Our compliments on your driving. Please to go Circle K and become a diabetic, on us"..

Most people go through their entire lives without a police interaction, negative or positive.

I'm sure most people would love to keep it that way. I know most police do.

Most people go through their entire lives without a police interaction, negative or positive.

Oh I doubt that very much.

Never thought of counting it before but if I had to I'd estimate, I'd say I dunno, thirty (?) to fifty (?) interactions, just in traffic on the street. Personal conversational interactions, not just a cop directing traffic. And a goodly number of random spot-checks where everybody has to stop, absent any probable cause, to answer the question "are you drunk". Everything from being pulled over for a nonworking taillight to being apprehended for murder just because I was the first person they saw. One yokel pulled me over in South Carolina, he was pulling everybody over, and wanted to know why my parents weren't travelling with me. Well, I'm like 42 years old and they have their own lives now. He was mystified, like so many others couldn't think of where to take this. And then of course there's the old standby, "we were looking for a similar car". Especially if your passenger is black.

Oh I doubt that very much.

Never thought of counting it before but if I had to I'd estimate, I'd say I dunno, thirty (?) to fifty (?) interactions, just in traffic on the street. Personal conversational interactions, not just a cop directing traffic. And a goodly number of random spot-checks where everybody has to stop, absent any probable cause, to answer the question "are you drunk". Everything from being pulled over for a nonworking taillight to being apprehended for murder just because I was the first person they saw. One yokel pulled me over in South Carolina, he was pulling everybody over, and wanted to know why my parents weren't travelling with me. Well, I'm like 42 years old and they have their own lives now. He was mystified, like so many others couldn't think of where to take this. And then of course there's the old standby, "we were looking for a similar car". Especially if your passenger is black.
You're Irish...they don't call it a Paddy Wagon for nothin.

I had to I'd estimate, I'd say I dunno, thirty (?) to fifty (?) interactions

Like I said, most people. Some people attract police attention.

You did say 'most people' and I guessed 30 to 50 for myself, which is way way beyond "never". Now I probably spend more time driving than most people, but the vast majority of those interactions was local, not long distance. And I'm not a speed freak and I don't drink.

Go ahead and put up a poll asking "have you ever been pulled over". Just that. I think you'll have a hard time finding anybody who hasn't -- let alone 'most'.

Forum List

Back