Dog gone

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
As the first COVID-19 lockdowns took place, many people adopted dogs or cats from animal shelters to serve as companions while they were isolated at home. On the other hand, I also noticed reports of animals being abandoned, apparently by people who had been laid off and could no longer afford to keep a pet.

Which trend will prevail? If you can’t afford to pay rent, can you afford to keep a pet? This issue has not been addressed by the mass media probably because the pet product industry pays for some of the commercials that keep news programs on the air.

I checked out six or seven local veterinary websites. Only two specifically listed euthanasia services, but only in the context of ending the life of a suffering pet. Will veterinarians eventually offer to “put down” pets due to economic hardship?

As the first COVID-19 lockdowns took place, many people adopted dogs or cats from animal shelters to serve as companions while they were isolated at home. On the other hand, I also noticed reports of animals being abandoned, apparently by people who had been laid off and could no longer afford to keep a pet.

Which trend will prevail? If you can’t afford to pay rent, can you afford to keep a pet? This issue has not been addressed by the mass media probably because the pet product industry pays for some of the commercials that keep news programs on the air.

I checked out six or seven local veterinary websites. Only two specifically listed euthanasia services, but only in the context of ending the life of a suffering pet. Will veterinarians eventually offer to “put down” pets due to economic hardship?

We chose to adopt our new puppy son. Hopefully others do as well.

20200729_230824.jpg

Forum List

Back