Does a sovereign nation have a right to defend itself ?

If so, are they limited as to the weapons they can use in their defense ?

not certain where/how you want this thread to go---

--if it is Syria--there is now a proposal that they should sign the 'no chemical weapons' treaty in ? about 45 days--I approve.

--if it is the US--I am biased and somewhat uninformed--I have actually thought 'that something very radical' might eventually be required--how close we may or may not be to such a critical point I wish I knew. Always on my list of 'Things you shouldn't worry about--because they are beyond your control'.

When it comes to Iran--no, they have not demonstrated 'good faith'--Russia and China--there is a long list of those 'not to be trusted'.

best I can do at the moment.

--if it is Syria--there is now a proposal that they should sign the 'no chemical weapons' treaty in ? about 45 days--I approve.

--if it is the US--I am biased and somewhat uninformed--I have actually thought 'that something very radical' might eventually be required--how close we may or may not be to such a critical point I wish I knew. Always on my list of 'Things you shouldn't worry about--because they are beyond your control'.

When it comes to Iran--no, they have not demonstrated 'good faith'--Russia and China--there is a long list of those 'not to be trusted'.

First I would assume that countries and regimes will defend themselves when attacked whether it's "legal" or not. Hopefully if America is attacked we would use everything in our arsenal to ward off attackers.
I suspect that's what Assad is doing too. I guess the so called "rebels" had planned to fight until the gas was used and then they expected America to come in and save their asses.
Seems a bit harsh to criticize someone for defending his regime.

First I would assume that countries and regimes will defend themselves when attacked whether it's "legal" or not. Hopefully if America is attacked we would use everything in our arsenal to ward off attackers.
I suspect that's what Assad is doing too. I guess the so called "rebels" had planned to fight until the gas was used and then they expected America to come in and save their asses.

I've either heard 'too much' or 'too little' about all of this--more than I would like, that is a given and more to come.

What a mess--what a mess--a long time in the making.

There is seemingly no way to identify the assorted rebels?

I understand that Jordan, Turkey and Lebanon and other surrounding countries are concerned about the millions of refugees that have left Syria. 'The World'--be it through the UN or some other means is going to have to take a hard look at this.

'a powder keg'--yes, it is.

Other countries need to bear some responsibility. Russia could stop supplying weapons--that would be a start.

I've either heard 'too much' or 'too little' about all of this--more than I would like, that is a given and more to come.

I understand that Jordan, Turkey and Lebanon and other surrounding countries are concerned about the millions of refugees that have left Syria. 'The World'--be it through the UN or some other means is going to have to take a hard look at this.

Other countries need to bear some responsibility. Russia could stop supplying weapons--that would be a start.

Other countries are also exacerbating the refugee problem. Thank Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the good old US of A.
Anyone who is supporting the rebels is partially responsible.

Other countries are also exacerbating the refugee problem. Thank Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the good old US of A.
Anyone who is supporting the rebels is partially responsible.

Well, if the Pentagon wants my suggestion--drop some kind of net--strongest fibers/materials available and reel them in. If it happens to break in the middle of the sea that would be 'unfortunate'--an accident.

I have been battling the weeds in my yard--thinking about all of this. I pull the weeds out, have used 'chemicals' round-up and others--I think I would do just about anything to get rid of my weeds. Same for the Middle East. Another solution--send them the recalled Chobani yogurt? The things that occur to me are not ethical solutions and repercussions would endanger the US and the entire world.

What are we to think--someone from Syria said last night they were doing 'ok' with their regime. The individual clearly no longer resides in Syria. From what I am learning about the regime --it is brutal and evil. From what I know of Al Qaeda --even worse.

To think of all the possible side effects from this conflict--a very good chance that life as we know it could change 'any day' now. 'The Blame' goes to those engaged in the destruction of society, as far as I am concerned.

Forum List

Back