CDZ Do you want to protect schoolchildren right now or not?

Medicaid needs to be expanded in all 50 states; there can’t be serious proposals of mental health preemption/intervention with regard to school shootings if young adults don’t have access to affordable mental health treatment.
Can't agree ---- this wouldn't have, and didn't, catch ANY of the high-school age mass murderers or several of the slightly older ones. The reason is that schizophrenia develops very quickly around age 18 and family and others are just blindsided. It's a matter of months and they don't even get diagnosed, never mind treatment.

If they DO get diagnosed and "treated," with talk-therapy or whatever, it does no good: both the Batman killer and that Korean who shot so many students at Virginia Tech both went to treatment, but it did no good at all, as we know. Given there is no place to shut up people even in the rare event that the problem is recognized, I can't see this working, or Red Flag laws either, in the case of young persons going suddenly downhill. I am not opposed to Red Flag laws --- they may catch a few older people or even really older people who are declining. But young people with no record, no previous trouble? They are the shooters and none of this will catch them, IMO.

I don't myself see any solution. It's a decay of the society, since we used to have more guns and totally open schools, but this never happened in the good old days.

Can't agree ---- this wouldn't have, and didn't, catch ANY of the high-school age mass murderers or several of the slightly older ones. The reason is that schizophrenia develops very quickly around age 18 and family and others are just blindsided. It's a matter of months and they don't even get diagnosed, never mind treatment.

If they DO get diagnosed and "treated," with talk-therapy or whatever, it does no good: both the Batman killer and that Korean who shot so many students at Virginia Tech both went to treatment, but it did no good at all, as we know. Given there is no place to shut up people even in the rare event that the problem is recognized, I can't see this working, or Red Flag laws either, in the case of young persons going suddenly downhill. I am not opposed to Red Flag laws --- they may catch a few older people or even really older people who are declining. But young people with no record, no previous trouble? They are the shooters and none of this will catch them, IMO.

I don't myself see any solution. It's a decay of the society, since we used to have more guns and totally open schools, but this never happened in the good old days.
It did happen

But without the Internet
It was much easier to cover up

The school year is basically over or about to be over across the country, and summer vacation is upon us and the kids. So what can we do between now and September to make our schools safer? Let's be honest, there is no way a ban on assault weapons, however they are defined, is going to happen between now and then. We may have some form of bipartisan national gun control legislation at some point, but IMHO it ain't likely and probably not until after the election. Maybe some states will take action of some sort, but before September? I kinda doubt that, so is it not the best thing to do to make our schools safer and more secure in the meantime?

As I see it, one requirement is surveillance outside the school, is somebody headed this way? That means cameras and somebody to monitor them during the school day until the kids have all left. It also means a few security people outside the buildings while the kids are out there coming to school or going home or at recess. You can make the school buildings harder to get into but you have to be watchful for somebody who tries to shoot as many kids as possible before they get into the building or while they're leaving.

It seems to me that we've got to be more attentive to the troubled school kids too. If a kid is acting aggressively or abusively then they need to be identified and watched. Who is being bullied and who is doing the bullying. We gotta do better at stopping that crap before it gets to be a bigger problem. That means more surveillance and a few more counselors to work with the troubled kids, both victims and abusers. Parents have to be notified as necessary.

No doubt there are a number of things that can be done to improve school security. For instance, you can't leave an external door propped open, and those doors shouldn't be opened by shooting the locks. It seems to me that if properly installed and with proper training that arming teachers might not really be necessary if the bad guys can't get into the building and the cops are called sooner when trouble looks like it's headed towards one of our schools. 100 false alarms is better than 99 false alarms and one mass shooting.
There are 20 million Veterans in the US most of us would protect a school for free.

The school year is basically over or about to be over across the country, and summer vacation is upon us and the kids. So what can we do between now and September to make our schools safer? Let's be honest, there is no way a ban on assault weapons, however they are defined, is going to happen between now and then. We may have some form of bipartisan national gun control legislation at some point, but IMHO it ain't likely and probably not until after the election. Maybe some states will take action of some sort, but before September? I kinda doubt that, so is it not the best thing to do to make our schools safer and more secure in the meantime?

As I see it, one requirement is surveillance outside the school, is somebody headed this way? That means cameras and somebody to monitor them during the school day until the kids have all left. It also means a few security people outside the buildings while the kids are out there coming to school or going home or at recess. You can make the school buildings harder to get into but you have to be watchful for somebody who tries to shoot as many kids as possible before they get into the building or while they're leaving.

It seems to me that we've got to be more attentive to the troubled school kids too. If a kid is acting aggressively or abusively then they need to be identified and watched. Who is being bullied and who is doing the bullying. We gotta do better at stopping that crap before it gets to be a bigger problem. That means more surveillance and a few more counselors to work with the troubled kids, both victims and abusers. Parents have to be notified as necessary.

No doubt there are a number of things that can be done to improve school security. For instance, you can't leave an external door propped open, and those doors shouldn't be opened by shooting the locks. It seems to me that if properly installed and with proper training that arming teachers might not really be necessary if the bad guys can't get into the building and the cops are called sooner when trouble looks like it's headed towards one of our schools. 100 false alarms is better than 99 false alarms and one mass shooting.

All of these shooters--the teachers knew. They knew there was something seriously wrong on a fundamental level with these kids. But it's not "PC" to say that. Education has gone entirely too soft on children who, frankly are not only a danger to themselves, but to others.

I'm all for children growing, learning and overcoming problems. But yes, there is a tiny, tiny subset of even youth who are just dangerous, even evil. People who have been teaching a long time are usually quite good at identifying them, but we feel silenced. So the problem is passed on and on. "Give him a chance", "he's making progress", etc. While all veteran teachers only HOPE that our loved ones never meet said student in a dark alley. Because frankly, we know.

If you want to protect kids and adults, it will take decades. So the very start of this protection is to scrap the main cause, the 2nd Amendment (but 99% of Americans know this). Once that is done, work can start on making guns and the gun culture safe.
Our freedom is not even remotely a cause of any of this.

Gun availability has little impact on homicide rates:

The only thing that would be achieved by abolishing our freedom would be the loss of our freedom.

But just for the sake of argument, even if it was the case that our freedom was the cause of all this, our freedom would be worth it.

Here's a timescale where it does actually work. Learn from history -
Well, it works at abolishing freedom.

I think one point needs to taken into account…high powered guns are much more accessible to youth, and guns and their accessories today are much more lethal than 50 years ago. You can’t ignore that.
I am skeptical that either one of those is actually the case.

Our freedom is not even remotely a cause of any of this.

Gun availability has little impact on homicide rates:

The only thing that would be achieved by abolishing our freedom would be the loss of our freedom.

But just for the sake of argument, even if it was the case that our freedom was the cause of all this, our freedom would be worth it.

Well, it works at abolishing freedom.
Free to shoot kids.

Take many of the EU countries and the likes of the UK, New Zealand, and Australia. They have two things in common, firstly, they have guns but they're regulated, and these countries experience a mass shooting on average nearly every decade.

Now take America, free to wander about with loaded guns, and they experience hundreds of mass shootings a year. Their answer is, more guns and shoot first.

It doesn't take an Einstein to see why America has a gun problem, it's called the 2nd Amendment and gun nuts.

Last edited:
Free to shoot kids.

Take many of the EU countries and the likes of the UK, New Zealand, and Australia. They have two things in common, firstly, they have guns but they're regulated, and these countries experience a mass shooting on average nearly every decade.

Now take America, free to wander about with loaded guns, and they experience hundreds of mass shootings a year. Their answer is, more guns and shoot first.

It doesn't take an Einstein to see why America has a gun problem, it's called the 2nd Amendment and gun nuts.
The Second Amendment is NOT a problem

Forum List

Back