Do You Take Your Job Seriously?

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I'm talking about those who work for someone else.....I would expect someone working for themselves to take their job seriously or go under.

When I worked for VDOC I took my job very seriously as I thought I was doing gawd's work keeping convicts away from the public.

Conversely when I worked for Dupont.....Not so much. Oh I always wanted to do a good job (strong work ethic) but making sure people got way over-priced automotive paint for their cars/trucks did not seem to be much of a personally fulfilling accomplishment.....It was just a paycheck.

I spent 20 years doing both.

I'm talking about those who work for someone else.....I would expect someone working for themselves to take their job seriously or go under.

When I worked for VDOC I took my job very seriously as I thought I was doing gawd's work keeping convicts away from the public.

Conversely when I worked for Dupont.....Not so much. Oh I always wanted to do a good job (strong work ethic) but making sure people got way over-priced automotive paint for their cars/trucks did not seem to be much of a personally fulfilling accomplishment.....It was just a paycheck.

You've only been working twenty years? What a special lad.

When I worked for someone else, I took my job very seriously -- hospital, in a direct patient care role -- until I lost respect for the system and the institution I worked for. Then, rather than risk not being the best worker I could be, because I hated who I worked for, I quit and went into business for myself. I hated the corruption of those with whom I worked who placed patient welfare so near the bottom of their list of priorities.

There are three kinds of activity with regard to pay.

A calling. This is something you would do for free because its in your very nature.

A career. This is a planned goal and you are motivated to do the work. Often associated with a passion.

A job. You do good work because you take their money, but it means little to nothing to you.

I take my job VERY Seriously. If I do my job wrong my fellow employees or members of the public may be injured/killed, damage may occur to our physical assets, and people may experience extended power outages.

It’s that first item that concerns me the most, as I’ve seen the damage electricity can do to the human body. That’s why I not only take great pride in doing my job efficiently and correctly every time. It’s also why I work to make sure my co-workers are held to that same standard.

You've only been working twenty years? What a special lad.
1303a1.jpg

I take my job VERY Seriously. If I do my job wrong my fellow employees or members of the public may be injured/killed, damage may occur to our physical assets, and people may experience extended power outages.

It’s that first item that concerns me the most, as I’ve seen the damage electricity can do to the human body. That’s why I not only take great pride in doing my job efficiently and correctly every time. It’s also why I work to make sure my co-workers are held to that same standard.

But there comes a point to where you figure out what 8 hours of work is and you don't do more than that...
Because I used to do 24 hrs worth of work in an 8hr day...but then I slowed down. Because I finally figured out I wasn't going to get more money for superior work done in ⅓of the time.

There were jobs though that when the mains were turned on I found somewhere else to be...like the parking lot...the far end.

I treat my job as if it were my own business and my boss as my partner. Works good for both of us. :)

I do CYBER.
You're welcome.

I am self employed but that's not to say there aren't times when I want to be irresponsible on purpose.

Every few years I'll get hired by a bad customer and it's all I can do to fulfill the agreement.

I am currently on a job that has a 50/50 shot of going south at any moment. It is VERY rare for me to walk out on a job but if pushed far enough no amount of money will make me stay.

Very seriously. I have a lot of people that I work with that have significant mental health issues, intellectual disabilities or substance abuse issues.

I guess that I take my job seriously enough to where I have never been fired before. For the most part I am almost no trouble at all. Anything that I have ever been guilty of I guess is pretty small in the grand scheme. I don't steal. I am not lazy. My attendance record is one the best and for the most part, I get there on time.

God bless you and the members of my work family always!!!

Holly

^^^ In a way, I second this. I stay busy at my job to where the phone is almost always answered by someone else if they are not too busy as well.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back