Do you consider western europe as a extension of america?

And why not--you expect the same in the US and that is not a bad thing--the language of the majority is the de facto language of the country.
Hola Senor. Coming soon...

Most criminal illegal aliens can't speak or read Spanish, so you're just clueless as usual; they speak a dumbed down mutt garble, a sort of 'ebonics' for latinos.
As though most Americans speak and write English ...

Most can; it's blacks and latinos who have the high dropout rates. Thanks for helping make that point. Only about 15% of blacks and maybe 30% of latinos are Americans.

they expect visitors to their countries to speak enough of their language to order in a restaurant.
And why not--you expect the same in the US and that is not a bad thing--the language of the majority is the de facto language of the country.
... and what is this, "If not for us you'd be speaking German" suppose to mean? Most of us in Europe speak English as a second language but we also speak German (or some other) as a third language. Do Americans see this as something bad? What would be the problem with speaking German as a second language and English or Spanish or French or Russian as a third language? Let's cut to the chase:

* People who speak three languages are called Trilingual.
* People who speak two languages are called Bilingual.
* People who speak only one language are called American.

they expect visitors to their countries to speak enough of their language to order in a restaurant.
... and what is this, "If not for us you'd be speaking German" suppose to mean? Most of us in Europe speak English as a second language but we also speak German (or some other) as a third language. Do Americans see this as something bad? What would be the problem with speaking German as a second language and English or Spanish or French or Russian as a third language? Let's cut to the chase:

America wasn't all that far away from having German as the national language; in many parts of the big states German was more common than English.

Where in the fuck did I say anything about "If not for us..." Are you a troll? I said, and I quote, And why not--you expect the same in the US and that is not a bad thing--the language of the majority is the de facto language of the country. Are you trying to tell me that where ever you are, they don't have a preferred language. I guarantee that a Russian living in Russia doesn't start a conversation in Japanese. There are many Americans that speak more than three languages. There are also people that speak only one. Your ignorant generalizations do your credibility. If anything I was defending the fact that Europeans are correct in expecting visitors to at least be able to communicate simple tasks. GFY.

America wasn't all that far away from having German as the national language; in many parts of the big states German was more common than English.
Yes, that's true. It lost to English by vote I think. So I guess you could say that if it wasn't for King George III ..... Americans would be speaking German.

Where in the fuck did I say anything about "If not for us..." Are you a troll? I said, and I quote, And why not--you expect the same in the US and that is not a bad thing--the language of the majority is the de facto language of the country. Are you trying to tell me that where ever you are, they don't have a preferred language. I guarantee that a Russian living in Russia doesn't start a conversation in Japanese. There are many Americans that speak more than three languages. There are also people that speak only one. Your ignorant generalizations do your credibility. If anything I was defending the fact that Europeans are correct in expecting visitors to at least be able to communicate simple tasks. GFY.
So not only is your English comprehension bad but you are also an idiot. And no sense of humour either. Nice.

Last edited:

Yes, that's true. It lost to English by vote I think. So I guess you could say that if it wasn't for King George III ..... Americans would be speaking German.

Wasn't George III German? I don't recall off the top of my head; somewhere in there the British Crown went German; they were the Kaiser's cousins or something.

Wasn't George III German? I don't recall off the top of my head; somewhere in there the British Crown went German; they were the Kaiser's cousins or something.
Well, he was English-born and bred. In any case, he was the King of England during the American revolution so he gets credit for the colonies and the blame for losing of it.

So not only is your English comprehension bad but you are also an idiot. And no sense of humour either. Nice.
Fuck off, Russian Troll. Can you comprehend that?

"The Prince-Elector of Hanover became George I of Great Britain – despite barely being able to speak English. It’s fair to say many in Blighty were less than impressed by the idea of some obscure aristocrat from a continental backwater putting his backside down on the throne. At his coronation, spectators called out 'Down with the German!', and many dismissed him as a country bumpkin, even dubbing him the 'Turnip King'. The runaway xenophobia also led to his carnal appetites being lambasted – as one local gossip put it, the new king 'rejects no woman so long as she is very willing, very fat, and has great breasts'.

George’s heart lay in Hanover – a fact that became literal when he died and was buried in his homeland, the last British monarch laid to rest abroad. His son, George II, at least had the advantage of being able to speak English properly, but it took George III to really make an effort to be less flagrantly German. On becoming king, he famously declared that “Born and educated in this country, I glory in the name of Britain' – a conscious attempt to reassure everyone that he was over the whole Hanover thing.

A few monarchs later, it was the turn of Queen Victoria. Despite being an icon of Britishness to this very day, she was – by blood – just as German as her Hanoverian predecessors. Her first language was German, and she ended up having a legendarily passionate marriage with her German cousin, Albert."

Also ...

"On June 19, 1917, during the third year of World War I, Britain’s King George V orders the British royal family to dispense with the use of German titles and surnames, changing the surname of his own family, the decidedly Germanic Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, to Windsor.

The second son of Prince Edward of Wales (later King Edward VII) and Alexandra of Denmark, and the grandson of Queen Victoria, George was born in 1865 and embarked on a naval career before becoming heir to the throne in 1892 when his older brother, Edward, died of pneumonia. The following year, George married the German princess Mary of Teck (his cousin, a granddaughter of King George III), who had previously been intended for Edward. The couple had six children, including the future Edward VIII and George VI (who took the throne in 1936 after his brother abdicated to marry the American divorcee Wallis Simpson). As the new Duke of York, George was made to abandon his career in the navy; he became a member of the House of Lords and received a political education. When his father died in 1910, George ascended to the British throne as King George V.

With the outbreak of World War I in the summer of 1914, strong anti-German feeling within Britain caused sensitivity among the royal family about its German roots. Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany, also a grandson of Queen Victoria, was the king’s cousin; the queen herself was German. As a result, on June 19, 1917, the king decreed that the royal surname was thereby changed from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor."

Fuck off, Russian Troll. Can you comprehend that?
What kind of talk is that? It would be a good idea for you to take English language lessons. You're probably on food stamps so finding time for classes shouldn't be a problem. You can shop-lift all day long and study English in the evenings .... unless you're a burglar who would rather go to English class during the day and break-and-enter all night. Which is better for you? Seeing as your reading comprehension is so bad maybe you should tell me where you live and I can search the internet for classes nearest to your trailer park.

It's not what *I* expect.............my posted info is what I've been told over the many years, by people who have been overseas.

For me personally, I've never been outside of the USA, so I have no personal reference on European travel and European countries.

I've heard some good stories from people who have travelled overseas, but the bad stories out number the good ones 100 to 1..........from what I've heard from travellers.

"The Prince-Elector of Hanover became George I of Great Britain – despite barely being able to speak English. It’s fair to say many in Blighty were less than impressed by the idea of some obscure aristocrat from a continental backwater putting his backside down on the throne. At his coronation, spectators called out 'Down with the German!', and many dismissed him as a country bumpkin, even dubbing him the 'Turnip King'. The runaway xenophobia also led to his carnal appetites being lambasted – as one local gossip put it, the new king 'rejects no woman so long as she is very willing, very fat, and has great breasts'.

George’s heart lay in Hanover – a fact that became literal when he died and was buried in his homeland, the last British monarch laid to rest abroad. His son, George II, at least had the advantage of being able to speak English properly, but it took George III to really make an effort to be less flagrantly German. On becoming king, he famously declared that “Born and educated in this country, I glory in the name of Britain' – a conscious attempt to reassure everyone that he was over the whole Hanover thing.

A few monarchs later, it was the turn of Queen Victoria. Despite being an icon of Britishness to this very day, she was – by blood – just as German as her Hanoverian predecessors. Her first language was German, and she ended up having a legendarily passionate marriage with her German cousin, Albert."

Also ...

"On June 19, 1917, during the third year of World War I, Britain’s King George V orders the British royal family to dispense with the use of German titles and surnames, changing the surname of his own family, the decidedly Germanic Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, to Windsor.

The second son of Prince Edward of Wales (later King Edward VII) and Alexandra of Denmark, and the grandson of Queen Victoria, George was born in 1865 and embarked on a naval career before becoming heir to the throne in 1892 when his older brother, Edward, died of pneumonia. The following year, George married the German princess Mary of Teck (his cousin, a granddaughter of King George III), who had previously been intended for Edward. The couple had six children, including the future Edward VIII and George VI (who took the throne in 1936 after his brother abdicated to marry the American divorcee Wallis Simpson). As the new Duke of York, George was made to abandon his career in the navy; he became a member of the House of Lords and received a political education. When his father died in 1910, George ascended to the British throne as King George V.

With the outbreak of World War I in the summer of 1914, strong anti-German feeling within Britain caused sensitivity among the royal family about its German roots. Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany, also a grandson of Queen Victoria, was the king’s cousin; the queen herself was German. As a result, on June 19, 1917, the king decreed that the royal surname was thereby changed from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor."
George III was King of Great Britain and Ireland from 25 October 1760 until the union of the two kingdoms on 1 January 1801, after which he was King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland until his death in 1820. Wikipedia
Born: June 4, 1738, Norfolk House, London, United Kingdom
Died: January 29, 1820, Windsor Castle, Windsor, United Kingdom
Reign: 25 October 1760 –; 29 January 1820
Spouse: Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (m. 1761–1818)
Children: George IV, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent and Strathearn ...
Parents: Frederick, Prince of Wales, Princess Augusta of Saxe-Gotha

It's not what *I* expect.............my posted info is what I've been told over the many years, by people who have been overseas.

For me personally, I've never been outside of the USA, so I have no personal reference on European travel and European countries.

I've heard some good stories from people who have travelled overseas, but the bad stories out number the good ones 100 to 1..........from what I've heard from travellers.

I've traveled a lot, never noticed any special anti-American antagonism, except in Paris and California, and parts of NYC.

Forum List

Back