Do you believe there is life in the universe besides ours here on earth?

Is there life out there somewhere?

• Total voters
I believe it is probable. Though I tend to neglect belief in favor of evidence based conclusions.

Arthur C. Clarke said it better than I can:

"Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the idea is quite staggering."

to assume we (human and non human) are the only life out there in this vast universe..... is arrogant and foolish.

Last edited:
Maybe a planet or two with some slime on it

Intelligent life? I doubt it

Well, We're still trying to find a better portion than around 5% on intelligent life in humans. So I can see why you would be skeptical of finding it else where. And then there is your contribution.....

Would a flea in California argue that there can be no fleas in, say, France?

We likely started out as "slime" and our planet is young compared to the majority of the universe so why couldn't intelligent (term used loosely) have evolved elsewhere?

Too many geologic and climatic factors come into play to have a planet that cannot only create life but sustain it over millions of years

I don't like the odds

We likely started out as "slime" and our planet is young compared to the majority of the universe so why couldn't intelligent (term used loosely) have evolved elsewhere?

Too many geologic and climatic factors come into play to have a planet that cannot only create life but sustain it over millions of years

I don't like the odds

Considering we are nothing but a bit of rock surrounding a small star in a small galaxy of some 3 billion stars....in a vast universe of some 500 billion galaxies..... ill go odds the other way.

I don't like the odds

Considering the universe is hundreds of billions of years old sustaining life for a mere 1 million years doesn't seem too far fetched.

As a side note I've heard endless logical arguments for why life could exist elsewhere but not a single argument with merit as to why it can't.

It is estimated that there are approximately 8 billion likely habitable planets in our Milky Way Galaxy alone and there are billions more galaxies out there. To think that we must be or likely are the only planet with intelligent life on it is a pretty self-centered, egotistical view of the universe.
So, I definitely believe that there is intelligent life out there in the universe.

I've always liked that brief moment you can almost grasp the concept of never ending space,only to have it slip away. It's like you can understand it,but not fully.
So yeah I believe there is intelligent life out there. How could there not be when there are infinite chances to get it right?

Forum List

Back