Do you believe in evolution?

Yes. Frankly, I don't think it's a matter of belief. That the process of evolution is the driving force of all observed life has been established beyond any reasonable doubt.

Genesis 1:14 did not say a day was a 24-hour period. Genesis 1:14 says:

And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven, to divide the day from the night: and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years.

Please show me where it says "24 hours."

Just because it's 24 hours today, does not mean it was 24 hours back then. How do you know that a full day to God isn't millions of years to a human?

The description of "the evening and the morning" described in verses 5, 8, 13, 19, 23, and 31 matches that of a standard 24 hour period in that it effectively describes the earth's rotation on its axis from sunset to sunset (prior to the existence of the Sun, however, which means that another source of light must have existed), not an "indefinite age," unless you want to dilute the meaning of those terms also. Even so, a more clear affirmation is found in Exodus 20:8-11, when God asserts that regular human days are equivalent to the days of creation.

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

In addition to what can be extrapolated from the Fourth Commandment, we should also return to the rather obvious fact that the Hebrew word for day (yôm), refers to 24 hour periods when numerical adjectives are used as descriptors rather than an alternate preposition.

Again, the Torah never mentions "24 hours." Man didn't keep time back then, so the concept was foreign to them.?

Clearly inaccurate, considering the repeated mentions of "the evening and the morning."

Do you believe the Torah, the Written Law and the Oral Law are the absolute Words of God and was written by God and handed to Moses completed? If so, are you a Christian?

By no means.

Thus why a christian could still not deny it, for it would mean they would have to say they know the will of their god, which he clearly says is not a good thing to do.

I couldn't piece together what this is supposed to mean. If you take the book of Genesis as describing an omnipotent deity creating the heavens and the earth, whatever consequences or results were generated were clearly as a result of his choice.

"The day-age (progressive) creation account is non-literal and contradicts the clear teaching of Genesis." I hear or see this complaint quite often, although the statement is incorrect regarding both accusations. I take all of the biblical creation accounts literally. Nothing is symbolic. The Hebrew word yom1 has three literal meanings - a 12-hour period of time (sunrise to sunset), a 24-hour period of time from sunset to sunset (the Hebrew day), and an indefinite period of time. The day-age interpretation of Genesis does not require the use of symbolism to explain the creation account.

Genesis Clearly Teaches that the Days Were NOT 24 Hours

The Hebrew word for “day” is the word “Yom.” Young earth creationists have always argued that the word used for the days of creation can only mean a 24-hour day. In this article, we will examine the uses of Yom in the Old Testament, and show that it can mean a wide variety of time periods.

First, one must understand that the Hebrew language is not nearly as diverse as our English language. Whereas our vocabulary is around half a million, the Hebrew language has only 8,700 words. The French language, one of the poorest modern languages in vocabulary and the language of choice for diplomats, has just about 40,000 words or over 4 times the amount of words that Ancient Hebrew has.

Many of the Hebrew words could be considered duplicates with only slight differences. Thus, words which contain multiple meanings are common. Such is the case with the word Yom.Word Study Yom

It's indeed correct that the term yôm can be used for alternate meanings, and that is not something I denied. However, the term was used with a numerical adjective in the Genesis account, thus denoting a 24 hour period. Moreover, it would also be blatantly inconsistent to claim that the meaning of the word (with the same numerical adjective), was different in the Genesis account than in Exodus 20:8-11.

"The day-age (progressive) creation account is non-literal and contradicts the clear teaching of Genesis." I hear or see this complaint quite often, although the statement is incorrect regarding both accusations. I take all of the biblical creation accounts literally. Nothing is symbolic. The Hebrew word yom1 has three literal meanings - a 12-hour period of time (sunrise to sunset), a 24-hour period of time from sunset to sunset (the Hebrew day), and an indefinite period of time. The day-age interpretation of Genesis does not require the use of symbolism to explain the creation account.

Genesis Clearly Teaches that the Days Were NOT 24 Hours

Interesting article O.R.

I've heard much of that before. I'm not saying he's right, as I will wait until the Lord, clues us all in, but what he wrote sure makes sense.

Immie

I believe in evolution but not creationism. I find the story of creationism to be incompatible with evolution. Creationism says God created the earth first before the heavens, and that God created man before the animals. Both are scientifically incorrect.

However, God may have been the spark for evolution and set it in motion.
FYI! ;)
No Toro, the Bible does NOT say he created the earth before the Heavens...

Genesis 1

The Beginning

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

genesis 1, lists Heavens, then Earth.

D_oh.jpg

I just listened to a sermon on Genesis the other day in church, too!

This is what I meant.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

BibleGateway.com - Passage Lookup: Genesis 1

God created the earth before he created light, i.e. the sun. This is scientifically incorrect.

I believe in evolution but not creationism. I find the story of creationism to be incompatible with evolution. Creationism says God created the earth first before the heavens, and that God created man before the animals. Both are scientifically incorrect.

However, God may have been the spark for evolution and set it in motion.
FYI! ;)
No Toro, the Bible does NOT say he created the earth before the Heavens...

Genesis 1

The Beginning

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

genesis 1, lists Heavens, then Earth.

D_oh.jpg

I just listened to a sermon on Genesis the other day in church, too!

This is what I meant.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Genesis 1

God created the earth before he created light, i.e. the sun. This is scientifically incorrect.

i can see your misunderstanding, but i've been glued to this science series called How the earth was made.... apparently, we initially did not always have the sun and moon, gravitational pull....i believe science speculates, however many million, billion years ago we were pushed somehow in to rotating around the sun and getting our moon....we actually were in Darkness....i GOT goose bumps when i heard this...! :D

so, big bang...universe or the heavenS and the earth is created...

we were in darkness....didn't have a Sun or moon

then we were given light....got kicked in to the milky way, had the sun and moon, controlled the tides, shook up earth, the firmament rose out of the water....the continent Pangea....and days were similar to the 24hour days we have now....though i saw on a documentary that our days were much longer than 24 hours as well...

when we were not connected to rotating around the sun, our so called days could have been millions of years...

SEE? hahahahaha! IT'S real easy...it all fits nicely in MY head!!!!!! :lol:

care

One can not know the thoughts of God. One can not know what God Knows. No one can say for certain what he meant when he told man to write Genesis or any other book of the Bible. We can only accept that the Bible is meant to guide us and help us through the dark times that have befallen man because of Adam and Eve's sin.

God gave Satan command over Earth and man until the final fight and the end times.

He could have. my father in law brought up this possibility at church and was treated like a heretic.

How did Noah get all those animals on one boat? And how did kangaroos travel all the way from australia to get on Noah's boat?

A better question would be how did Koalas and Kangaroos get from the Ark to Australia? {shrug}

Doesn't matter and I don't care. It's one of those questions that I'll leave to God to answer in his own time. Like the question I'll ask him about evolution when the time comes. "How close was Charles Darwin when he developed his theory?" Does it really matter anyway? If you believe in God does "How" he created the universe matter?

We have to accept that by all scientific evidence species evolve in some manner, whether it be developing new forms of life i.e. ape to man, or whether it be new species i.e. wolf to poodle. What does all of this have to do with whether or not God actually put the ball in motion?

Immie

He could have. my father in law brought up this possibility at church and was treated like a heretic.

How did Noah get all those animals on one boat? And how did kangaroos travel all the way from australia to get on Noah's boat?

A better question would be how did Koalas and Kangaroos get from the Ark to Australia? {shrug}

Doesn't matter and I don't care. It's one of those questions that I'll leave to God to answer in his own time. Like the question I'll ask him about evolution when the time comes. "How close was Charles Darwin when he developed his theory?" Does it really matter anyway? If you believe in God does "How" he created the universe matter?

We have to accept that by all scientific evidence species evolve in some manner, whether it be developing new forms of life i.e. ape to man, or whether it be new species i.e. wolf to poodle. What does all of this have to do with whether or not God actually put the ball in motion?

Immie

Those that foolishly worship the white smock can not accept that both science and God coexist. For them it has to be their way and no other. Those who refuse to believe in God are lost. They have no other recourse but to damn the very idea of God, because if they are wrong, well you know what that means and so do THEY.

Doesn't matter and I don't care. It's one of those questions that I'll leave to God to answer in his own time.

In other words, you will ignore the glaring inconsistencies that contradict your beliefs? Being inquisitive and asking questions is how we find out how the universe works. If we all put blinders on and said "leave it to God", we'd still be living in caves.

Doesn't matter and I don't care. It's one of those questions that I'll leave to God to answer in his own time.

In other words, you will ignore the glaring inconsistencies that contradict your beliefs? Being inquisitive and asking questions is how we find out how the universe works. If we all put blinders on and said "leave it to God", we'd still be living in caves.

No, I believe that Immie said that he won't worry about the inconsistencies but still believe in the why he wants to believe while allowing science to discover the most possible how, and that when he has the chance he would ask his god if the how was right.

i believe science speculates, however many million, billion years ago we were pushed somehow in to rotating around the sun and getting our moon....we actually were in Darkness....i GOT goose bumps when i heard this...! :D

so, big bang...universe or the heavenS and the earth is created...

we were in darkness....didn't have a Sun or moon

then we were given light....got kicked in to the milky way, had the sun and moon, controlled the tides, shook up earth, the firmament rose out of the water....the continent Pangea....and days were similar to the 24hour days we have now....though i saw on a documentary that our days were much longer than 24 hours as well...

when we were not connected to rotating around the sun, our so called days could have been millions of years...

SEE? hahahahaha! IT'S real easy...it all fits nicely in MY head!!!!!! :lol:

care
So basically God was just bowling planets across the universe until one by one they got caught in a gravitational pull. Makes sense to me!

Forum List

Back