Do red squirrels live in New England?

Zavulon

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2024
Moscow
Right now I'm reading H.P.Lovecraft, "The colour out of space".
Was stumbled at the sentence "They were the usual winter prints of red squirrels, white rabbits, and foxes [...]", describing the situation west of Arkham, New England in 1880's.
I thought that red squirrel is exclusively Eurasian species of squirrels and in the North America live only gray squirrels.
After the short googling, I didn't find any evidences of red squirrels, living in New England.
Can you explain me the plot?

Right now I'm reading H.P.Lovecraft, "The colour out of space".
Was stumbled at the sentence "They were the usual winter prints of red squirrels, white rabbits, and foxes [...]", describing the situation west of Arkham, New England in 1880's.
I thought that red squirrel is exclusively Eurasian species of squirrels and in the North America live only gray squirrels.
After the short googling, I didn't find any evidences of red squirrels, living in New England.
Can you explain me the plot?
We have red squirrels in multiple places in the US.

Not answering your question but the Red ones used to be the only ones we had in the real England .

Some lunatic introduced the grey ones here dressed in Nazi field grey and they have nearly swamped our red heads .

Living in Indiana all my life, I had no idea that our squirrels are larger than many other states.
We have predominantly Fox and Gray squirrels.
Visiting my wife's brother in NC - I noted to him how tiny the squirrels are around his home.
He looked puzzled. "Your squirrels are bigger?"

Thank you all. In what types of landscape red squirrel is more usual than the gray one?

They have black ones in Iowa. Maybe other places, too, but I only know of Iowa.

Black-squirrel.jpg

Forum List

Back