Debate Now Do Racism, Conservatism, and Low I.Q. Go Hand in Hand?

New Findings Help Explain Psychological Differences In Political Ideology Conservatives Driven By Negativity Bias publichealthwatch

‘Negativity bias’ drives conservativism

Using eye-tracking equipment and skin conductance detectors, the three researchers have observed that conservatives tend to have more intense reactions to negative stimuli, such as photos of people eating worms, burning houses or maggot-infested wounds.

Combining their own results with findings from other researchers around the world, the team proposes that this so-called “negativity bias” may be a common factor that helps define the difference between conservatives, with their emphasis on stability and order, and liberals, with their emphasis on progress and innovation. In the article, the researchers explained that these findings are remarkably consistent throughout the literature:

Across research methods, samples and countries, conservatives have been found to be quicker to focus on the negative, to spend longer looking at the negative, and to be more distracted by the negative.

This is not entirely surprising, as previous research shows that people with conservative tendencieshave a larger ‘fear center’in the brain and aremore likely to view the world as threatening.

However, what matters for political psychology is not the existence of negativity bias, “but that it varies so much from individual to individual,” the authors write. “That some people are more attuned to potential threats, more sensitive to sources of contagion, and more desirous of in-group protections is known intuitively and amply demonstrated by a large research literature,” and this variation in heightened negativity bias is significantly correlated with conservatism. Indeed, the authors state, that there is no known published study indicating the opposite.

The connection between heightened negativity bias and conservatism is not hard to make, the authors note, “It is not surprising that those attuned to the negative in life might take steps to avoid it, perhaps by refraining from taking chances with the unknown, by following instructions, and by sticking to the tried and true.” (Indeed, erring on the side of caution is one of the non-political meanings of the word “conservative,” as in a “conservative investment” or a “conservative estimate.”) Elaborating further, they note:

[N]ot only do political positions favoring defense spending, roadblocks to immigration, and harsh treatment of criminals seem naturally to mesh with heightened response to threatening stimuli but those fostering conforming unity (school children reciting the pledge of allegiance), traditional lifestyles (opposition to gay marriage), enforced personal responsibility (opposition to welfare programs and government provided healthcare), longstanding sources of authority (Biblical inerrancy; literal, unchanging interpretations of the Constitution), and clarity and closure (abstinence-only sex education; signed pledges to never raise taxes; aversion to compromise) do, as well. Heightened response to the general category of negative stimuli fits comfortably with a great many of the typical tenets of political conservatism.

In other words, the conservative ideology, and especially one of its major facets — centered on a strong military, tough law enforcement, resistance to immigration, widespread availability of guns — would seem well tailored for an underlying, threat-oriented biology.

Thus far, Carla_Danger was the only member to actually quote data. Good for you, Carla.

Now, here are some of the breadcrumbs I promised to drop.

Low IQ Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice Racism Bias Politics Right-Wing and Left-Wing Ideology

...Earlier studies have found links between low levels of education and higher levels of prejudice, Hodson said, so studying intelligence seemed a logical next step. The researchers turned to two studies of citizens in the United Kingdom, one that has followed babies since their births in March 1958, and another that did the same for babies born in April 1970. The children in the studies had their intelligence assessed at age 10 or 11; as adults ages 30 or 33, their levels of social conservatism and racism were measured. [Life's Extremes: Democrat vs. Republican]

In the first study, verbal and nonverbal intelligence was measured using tests that asked people to find similarities and differences between words, shapes and symbols. The second study measured cognitive abilities in four ways, including number recall, shape-drawing tasks, defining words and identifying patterns and similarities among words. Average IQ is set at 100.

Social conservatives were defined as people who agreed with a laundry list of statements such as "Family life suffers if mum is working full-time," and "Schools should teach children to obey authority." Attitudes toward other races were captured by measuring agreement with statements such as "I wouldn't mind working with people from other races." (These questions measured overt prejudiced attitudes, but most people, no matter how egalitarian, do hold unconscious racial biases; Hodson's work can't speak to this "underground" racism.)

As suspected, low intelligence in childhood corresponded with racism in adulthood. But the factor that explained the relationship between these two variables was political: When researchers included social conservatism in the analysis, those ideologies accounted for much of the link between brains and bias.

People with lower cognitive abilities also had less contact with people of other races.

"This finding is consistent with recent research demonstrating that intergroup contact is mentally challenging and cognitively draining, and consistent with findings that contact reduces prejudice," said Hodson...

Question: what is missing from this data? Where's the glitch?

Hint: look at what I bolded.

I wrote in the OP that there is a way to rebut these findings, and by that, I meant, using logic and data, instead of kneejerk emotional responses.

I want to remind again that I never once wrote in the OP that I am in agreement or disagreement with the findings of these studies. Many people here have flown off the handle, some have attacked me, but none of this is about me. It's about ideas and how to debate without letting emotions get the upper-hand.

So, what are some things that can be factually said about the information that I just quoted that could easily rebut said information?
It is not clear to me that one can extrapolate results of a study done with UK children to the US population without taking note that there will be differences in the populations.

The definition of conservative and the instruments used for measurements are likely problem areas.

There you go!!

Ding, ding!

We now have some people actually taking time to THINK this through and bring reason and logical deduction to the table.

There are two more glaring things to notice about that. Look at the timeline of the two studies.

The second clue is the word "two".

Do you see it?

Bravo, TyroneSlothrop

Last edited:
New Findings Help Explain Psychological Differences In Political Ideology Conservatives Driven By Negativity Bias publichealthwatch

‘Negativity bias’ drives conservativism

Using eye-tracking equipment and skin conductance detectors, the three researchers have observed that conservatives tend to have more intense reactions to negative stimuli, such as photos of people eating worms, burning houses or maggot-infested wounds.

Combining their own results with findings from other researchers around the world, the team proposes that this so-called “negativity bias” may be a common factor that helps define the difference between conservatives, with their emphasis on stability and order, and liberals, with their emphasis on progress and innovation. In the article, the researchers explained that these findings are remarkably consistent throughout the literature:

Across research methods, samples and countries, conservatives have been found to be quicker to focus on the negative, to spend longer looking at the negative, and to be more distracted by the negative.

This is not entirely surprising, as previous research shows that people with conservative tendencieshave a larger ‘fear center’in the brain and aremore likely to view the world as threatening.

However, what matters for political psychology is not the existence of negativity bias, “but that it varies so much from individual to individual,” the authors write. “That some people are more attuned to potential threats, more sensitive to sources of contagion, and more desirous of in-group protections is known intuitively and amply demonstrated by a large research literature,” and this variation in heightened negativity bias is significantly correlated with conservatism. Indeed, the authors state, that there is no known published study indicating the opposite.

The connection between heightened negativity bias and conservatism is not hard to make, the authors note, “It is not surprising that those attuned to the negative in life might take steps to avoid it, perhaps by refraining from taking chances with the unknown, by following instructions, and by sticking to the tried and true.” (Indeed, erring on the side of caution is one of the non-political meanings of the word “conservative,” as in a “conservative investment” or a “conservative estimate.”) Elaborating further, they note:

[N]ot only do political positions favoring defense spending, roadblocks to immigration, and harsh treatment of criminals seem naturally to mesh with heightened response to threatening stimuli but those fostering conforming unity (school children reciting the pledge of allegiance), traditional lifestyles (opposition to gay marriage), enforced personal responsibility (opposition to welfare programs and government provided healthcare), longstanding sources of authority (Biblical inerrancy; literal, unchanging interpretations of the Constitution), and clarity and closure (abstinence-only sex education; signed pledges to never raise taxes; aversion to compromise) do, as well. Heightened response to the general category of negative stimuli fits comfortably with a great many of the typical tenets of political conservatism.

In other words, the conservative ideology, and especially one of its major facets — centered on a strong military, tough law enforcement, resistance to immigration, widespread availability of guns — would seem well tailored for an underlying, threat-oriented biology.

More from the one link within your quote, and this is the kind of data I think we need:

Peering inside the brain with MRI scans, researchers at University College London found that self-described conservative students had a larger amygdala(link is external) than liberals. The amygdala is an almond-shaped structure deep in the brain that is active during states of fear and anxiety. Liberals had more gray matter at least in the anterior cingulate cortex, a region of the brain that helps people cope with complexity...

...Similarly, one might ask whether the gray matter difference is affected by exposure to educational challenge, social diversity, or childhood cognitive enrichment.

The born versus acquired perspective on political attitudes is important to psychologists. After all, if political proclivities are fixed at birth in terms of brain anatomy, there is little hope of change. Most of us would probably like to see a world in which political attitudes were less polarized, and more changeable, but that may be a pipe dream.

Meanwhile, the neuro-scientific fact of two very different political creatures helps clarify much of the political antics of modern democracies....

Very possible that this kind of study raises more questions than it answers, which is also ok with me.

My respect for the OP has reached a new level

It should. I published a topic that can really be debated and I even indicated that there are ways to successfully rebut the information.

Stop being emotional and learn to debate.

Democrats are the party of the KKK, Tuskegee experiments, black eugenics (aka: planned parenthood), Jim crow, slavery and " I'll have them ******* voting Democrat for the next 200 years"

Its pathetic and laughable that you say conservatives are racists. I can't debate a flat out lie

The average black person today could tell you why they vote democrat. Republicans have nothing to offer working class people except lower taxes for the wealthy and corporations, which will bring back the good times. Looks like Blacks are too intelligent to buy that crock of b.s., unlike a lot of working class republicans. If that weren't enough to get Blacks voting democrat, they could read the thousands of racist posts on this board, almost all by right wingers. Your bringing up stuff democrats did over a half century ago. Most of them switched to republican party after the civil rights marches, voting rights, Martin Luther King's speeches, etc. Surprised you didn't know that, Frank.

Even Goebbels would have been surprised by the size of the "Democrats are the real Conservatives" lie

A number of studies say "yes", but of course, the "devil is in the details", so then again, it could all be smoke and mirrors. Or, maybe not? Hmmmm......

Do Racism Conservatism and Low I.Q. Go Hand in Hand Psychology Today

Low IQ Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice Racism Bias Politics Right-Wing and Left-Wing Ideology

Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice Racism Conservatism

Multiple Scientific Studies Confirm Extreme Conservatism Linked to Racism Low I.Q. Americans Against the Tea Party

Those FOUR links refer to an intensive study done by Hodson, & Busseri, in 2012, called: "Bright minds and dark attitudes: Lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice through right-wing ideology and low intergroup contact." It was published in Psychological Science, 23, 187-195.

And this study:

Are Conservatives Dumber Than Liberals - Reason.com

(though that study does not run along the same lines exactly)

And this study, from 2009-2010:

Study Are Liberals Smarter Than Conservatives - TIME

(that link is an excellent case for finding the really necessary stuff in the details... hint, hint...)

And a completely different study from 2013, actually comparing the brain sizes of people of different political orientations:

The Surprising Brain Differences Between Democrats and Republicans Mother Jones

and the direct links:

Fear as a Disposition and an Emotional State A Genetic and Environmental Approach to Out-Group Political Preferences - Hatemi - 2013 - American Journal of Political Science - Wiley Online Library

PLOS ONE Red Brain Blue Brain Evaluative Processes Differ in Democrats and Republicans

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, before anyone get's his or her dander up, go read the links. You will be surprised at the plethora of information out there, and a lot of it can be rebutted - you just need to know where to look. I have DELIBERATELY not quoted anything from the links yet, to allow others to first read from start to finish and digest the material at hand.

PS: I live in a time zone that is 6 hours ahead of New York City, so some responses on my part will be delayed.

RULES FOR THIS DISCUSSION:
  1. No ad hominems. No flaming, no getting personal, no insults. Stick to the topic, not the person.
  2. Dictionary definitions will prevail.
  3. Claiming that you are speaking on behalf of others is absolutely forbidden.
  4. What you post is de facto your opinion unless substantiated with credible links.
  5. When you are asked to provide a credible link to substantiate your position you must do so or you automatically forfeit your position.
  6. Links can be contested and if they can be shown to be biased they will be discounted. For this reason I already provided neutral links directly to the core data for a number of studies under the links of websites that one side may consider partisan.
  7. If you are going to invoke partisan terminology then be prepared to have it called out for what it is.
  8. No one is exempt from legitimate criticism - including the OP.
  9. Serious debate also means taking time to formulate an answer - so this should be a slow, thoughtful thread. I don't expect a response in the first 60 minutes after the thread goes up. You will need at least that much time to actually absorb the material needed to successfully debate this statistical issue.
  10. Have some fun while you are at it. That's an order. Life is short, enjoy what you do.

-Stat
Starts a Troll thread, then gives rules on how you cant troll his troll thread.

It should. I published a topic that can really be debated and I even indicated that there are ways to successfully rebut the information.

Democrats are the party of the KKK, Tuskegee experiments, black eugenics (aka: planned parenthood), Jim crow, slavery and " I'll have them ******* voting Democrat for the next 200 years"

Its pathetic and laughable that you say conservatives are racists. I can't debate a flat out lie

This is where lack of discernment has really hurt your argument, for you see, CrusaderFrank , "I" have never claimed that Conservatives are racists. I have cited a number of studies by linking to them and to make it a topic for lively debate. I even wrote in the OP that there are ways to rebut those studies. I never once personally chimed in on my feelings about it, ergo what you describe as a lie is not one.

I am sticking to the topic. You got personal. Pay attention and learn to debate.

Oh, no. Not playing that game with you. This is your op as was the "republicans as antisemites" op.

Both are flat out lies and not open for debate, least of all by me. The good news is that its now stats usmb so please enjoy it

A number of studies say "yes", but of course, the "devil is in the details", so then again, it could all be smoke and mirrors. Or, maybe not? Hmmmm......

Multiple Scientific Studies Confirm Extreme Conservatism Linked to Racism Low I.Q. Americans Against the Tea Party

Those FOUR links refer to an intensive study done by Hodson, & Busseri, in 2012, called: "Bright minds and dark attitudes: Lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice through right-wing ideology and low intergroup contact." It was published in Psychological Science, 23, 187-195.

And this study:

(that link is an excellent case for finding the really necessary stuff in the details... hint, hint...)

And a completely different study from 2013, actually comparing the brain sizes of people of different political orientations:

and the direct links:

Fear as a Disposition and an Emotional State A Genetic and Environmental Approach to Out-Group Political Preferences - Hatemi - 2013 - American Journal of Political Science - Wiley Online Library

PLOS ONE Red Brain Blue Brain Evaluative Processes Differ in Democrats and Republicans

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, before anyone get's his or her dander up, go read the links. You will be surprised at the plethora of information out there, and a lot of it can be rebutted - you just need to know where to look. I have DELIBERATELY not quoted anything from the links yet, to allow others to first read from start to finish and digest the material at hand.

PS: I live in a time zone that is 6 hours ahead of New York City, so some responses on my part will be delayed.

1. No ad hominems. No flaming, no getting personal, no insults. Stick to the topic, not the person.
  4. What you post is de facto your opinion unless substantiated with credible links.
  5. When you are asked to provide a credible link to substantiate your position you must do so or you automatically forfeit your position.
  6. Links can be contested and if they can be shown to be biased they will be discounted. For this reason I already provided neutral links directly to the core data for a number of studies under the links of websites that one side may consider partisan.
  7. If you are going to invoke partisan terminology then be prepared to have it called out for what it is.
  9. Serious debate also means taking time to formulate an answer - so this should be a slow, thoughtful thread. I don't expect a response in the first 60 minutes after the thread goes up. You will need at least that much time to actually absorb the material needed to successfully debate this statistical issue.
  10. Have some fun while you are at it. That's an order. Life is short, enjoy what you do.

-Stat
Starts a Troll thread, then gives rules on how you cant troll his troll thread.

...then hides behind, its not what I said....its a study I linked to and think is accurate

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT
One can see the Obsessive compulsive use of fear to move the conservative herd to vote against its own interests...the fear of Unions, the fear of Blacks, the fear of foreigners, the fear of women being independent in decision making,fear of homosexuals ...the whole gamut .

This is where lack of discernment has really hurt your argument, for you see, CrusaderFrank , "I" have never claimed that Conservatives are racists. I have cited a number of studies by linking to them and to make it a topic for lively debate. I even wrote in the OP that there are ways to rebut those studies. I never once personally chimed in on my feelings about it, ergo what you describe as a lie is not one.

I am sticking to the topic. You got personal. Pay attention and learn to debate.

Oh, no. Not playing that game with you. This is your op as was the "republicans as antisemites" op.

Both are flat out lies and not open for debate, least of all by me. The good news is that its now stats usmb so please enjoy it

You really, really really missed the point.

did you even read the links at the OP?

And this study:

and the direct links:

-Stat

I guess sarcasm is beyond you. noted

Last edited:

You really, really really missed the point.

did you even read the links at the OP?
Debate Now - Do Racism Conservatism and Low I.Q. Go Hand in Hand Page 11 US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

And this study:

and the direct links:

-Stat

That question itself is racist because you are implying that all those whitey hating blacks are stupid.

I am implying nothing. Learn to debate.

I never said that I accept or support the findings of those 3 or 4 studies. I presented them for open and honest debate.

Take a step back and try again.

And this study:

and the direct links:

-Stat

That question itself is racist because you are implying that all those whitey hating blacks are stupid.

I never said that I accept or support the findings of those 3 or 4 studies. I presented them for open and honest debate.

It's a loaded question therefore not worth contemplating

And this study:

and the direct links:

-Stat

It's a loaded question therefore not worth contemplating

No, it is not a loaded question. And I even dropped two very specific hints in the OP to make it clear that my opinion and the data I decided to present for an OP may not be the same. You just have to possess enough discernment to be able to see it.

You see, guy, debating is about ideas,not attacking people.

Pay attention. Learn to debate.

This is the critical debate question. I will continue to ask until it is addressed.

If I.Q. is somehow related to political affiliation by the same logic why cannot it also be related to race or gender?

Why would it? Any race or gender can belong to any political affiliation. The study makes sense, and is no surprise to me. All racism is, is ignorance. So why is it so shocking that people with low IQ's would be more likely to be racist?

I think they should have added religion into the mix. IMO, people with low IQ's are more likely to take the Bible literally and believe in talking snakes. People with high IQ's don't normally believe a man really lived inside of a whale, and are less likely to give their hard earned money to con men/women who fly around in private jets.

Lower Cognitive Ability Predicts Greater Prejudice Through Right-Wing Ideology and Low Intergroup Contact
  1. Gordon Hodson and
  2. Michael A. Busseri

Abstract
Despite their important implications for interpersonal behaviors and relations, cognitive abilities have been largely ignored as explanations of prejudice. We proposed and tested mediation models in which lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice, an effect mediated through the endorsement of right-wing ideologies (social conservatism, right-wing authoritarianism) and low levels of contact with out-groups. In an analysis of two large-scale, nationally representative United Kingdom data sets (N = 15,874), we found that lower general intelligence (g) in childhood predicts greater racism in adulthood, and this effect was largely mediated via conservative ideology. A secondary analysis of a U.S. data set confirmed a predictive effect of poor abstract-reasoning skills on antihomosexual prejudice, a relation partially mediated by both authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact. All analyses controlled for education and socioeconomic status. Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice. Consequently, we recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models.

Bright Minds and Dark Attitudes

Being intolerant of those holding religious beliefs or different political opinions is a form of bigotry. Measuring true intolerance and bigotry in such a context would be virtually impossible. As impossible as accurately measuring the variables in the OP "studies."

This is my field.

The studies cited by the OP are frankly ridiculous. They are hateful and ignorant imho and are academically a joke. No serious academic would support them. They are just as bigoted as the "racism" you decry.

I realize you do not see this and never will because you have a false sense of moral superiority (i.e. those who are Christian or Conservative are automatically in your mind racist, ignorant, and bigoted). The attitudes expressed by the OP and many on the left are extremely offensive and intolerant. The studies the OP cites are a direct example of these bigoted views. It would be the same as a member of the KKK finding some bogus study about cranial capacity to say blacks are inferior to whites. It would be bogus....and equally offensive as what the OP is doing.

And this study:

and the direct links:

-Stat

The entire thread is ignorant, intolerant, and deeply offensive. The question posed is a "So how long have you beaten your wife," question.

The only reasonable response to the disingenuousness and trollery posed is to call it for what it is. The studies are ridiculous and not academically supportable. They are bigoted and hateful. End of story.

And this study:

and the direct links:

-Stat
Anyone that believes this horse shit,is way dumber than what it claims any conservative to be.
Only a weak person would say such a thing.
All Dems are crazy,all dems are communist,see just how stupid this line of thinking is,but considering the source??!!.

This is the critical debate question. I will continue to ask until it is addressed.

If I.Q. is somehow related to political affiliation by the same logic why cannot it also be related to race or gender?

Why would it? Any race or gender can belong to any political affiliation. The study makes sense, and is no surprise to me. All racism is, is ignorance. So why is it so shocking that people with low IQ's would be more likely to be racist?

I think they should have added religion into the mix. IMO, people with low IQ's are more likely to take the Bible literally and believe in talking snakes. People with high IQ's don't normally believe a man really lived inside of a whale, and are less likely to give their hard earned money to con men/women who fly around in private jets.

Lower Cognitive Ability Predicts Greater Prejudice Through Right-Wing Ideology and Low Intergroup Contact
  1. Gordon Hodson and
  2. Michael A. Busseri

Abstract
Despite their important implications for interpersonal behaviors and relations, cognitive abilities have been largely ignored as explanations of prejudice. We proposed and tested mediation models in which lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice, an effect mediated through the endorsement of right-wing ideologies (social conservatism, right-wing authoritarianism) and low levels of contact with out-groups. In an analysis of two large-scale, nationally representative United Kingdom data sets (N = 15,874), we found that lower general intelligence (g) in childhood predicts greater racism in adulthood, and this effect was largely mediated via conservative ideology. A secondary analysis of a U.S. data set confirmed a predictive effect of poor abstract-reasoning skills on antihomosexual prejudice, a relation partially mediated by both authoritarianism and low levels of intergroup contact. All analyses controlled for education and socioeconomic status. Our results suggest that cognitive abilities play a critical, albeit underappreciated, role in prejudice. Consequently, we recommend a heightened focus on cognitive ability in research on prejudice and a better integration of cognitive ability into prejudice models.

Bright Minds and Dark Attitudes

Being intolerant of those holding religious beliefs or different political opinions is a form of bigotry. Measuring true intolerance and bigotry in such a context would be virtually impossible. As impossible as accurately measuring the variables in the OP "studies."

This is my field.

The studies cited by the OP are frankly ridiculous. They are hateful and ignorant imho and are academically a joke. No serious academic would support them. They are just as bigoted as the "racism" you decry.

I realize you do not see this and never will because you have a false sense of moral superiority (i.e. those who are Christian or Conservative are automatically in your mind racist, ignorant, and bigoted). The attitudes expressed by the OP and many on the left are extremely offensive and intolerant. The studies the OP cites are a direct example of these bigoted views. It would be the same as a member of the KKK finding some bogus study about cranial capacity to say blacks are inferior to whites. It would be bogus....and equally offensive as what the OP is doing.

You pull out stats to show how black people are inferior all the time. I have no doubt that your bogus statistics are very offensive to black people.

I understand it's hard for you to swallow a dose of your own medicine.

I think there's some truth found in these studies, but it can also be applied to low information liberals as well. You know, the kind that responds to sound bites, does not verify the information received, etc...

Forum List

Back