Debate Now Do Racism, Conservatism, and Low I.Q. Go Hand in Hand?

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
A number of studies say "yes", but of course, the "devil is in the details", so then again, it could all be smoke and mirrors. Or, maybe not? Hmmmm......

Do Racism Conservatism and Low I.Q. Go Hand in Hand Psychology Today

Low IQ Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice Racism Bias Politics Right-Wing and Left-Wing Ideology

Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice Racism Conservatism

Multiple Scientific Studies Confirm Extreme Conservatism Linked to Racism Low I.Q. Americans Against the Tea Party

Those FOUR links refer to an intensive study done by Hodson, & Busseri, in 2012, called: "Bright minds and dark attitudes: Lower cognitive ability predicts greater prejudice through right-wing ideology and low intergroup contact." It was published in Psychological Science, 23, 187-195.

And this study:

Are Conservatives Dumber Than Liberals - Reason.com

(though that study does not run along the same lines exactly)

And this study, from 2009-2010:

Study Are Liberals Smarter Than Conservatives - TIME

(that link is an excellent case for finding the really necessary stuff in the details... hint, hint...)

And a completely different study from 2013, actually comparing the brain sizes of people of different political orientations:

The Surprising Brain Differences Between Democrats and Republicans Mother Jones

and the direct links:

Fear as a Disposition and an Emotional State A Genetic and Environmental Approach to Out-Group Political Preferences - Hatemi - 2013 - American Journal of Political Science - Wiley Online Library

PLOS ONE Red Brain Blue Brain Evaluative Processes Differ in Democrats and Republicans

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, before anyone get's his or her dander up, go read the links. You will be surprised at the plethora of information out there, and a lot of it can be rebutted - you just need to know where to look. I have DELIBERATELY not quoted anything from the links yet, to allow others to first read from start to finish and digest the material at hand.

PS: I live in a time zone that is 6 hours ahead of New York City, so some responses on my part will be delayed.

RULES FOR THIS DISCUSSION:
  1. No ad hominems. No flaming, no getting personal, no insults. Stick to the topic, not the person.
  2. Dictionary definitions will prevail.
  3. Claiming that you are speaking on behalf of others is absolutely forbidden.
  4. What you post is de facto your opinion unless substantiated with credible links.
  5. When you are asked to provide a credible link to substantiate your position you must do so or you automatically forfeit your position.
  6. Links can be contested and if they can be shown to be biased they will be discounted. For this reason I already provided neutral links directly to the core data for a number of studies under the links of websites that one side may consider partisan.
  7. If you are going to invoke partisan terminology then be prepared to have it called out for what it is.
  8. No one is exempt from legitimate criticism - including the OP.
  9. Serious debate also means taking time to formulate an answer - so this should be a slow, thoughtful thread. I don't expect a response in the first 60 minutes after the thread goes up. You will need at least that much time to actually absorb the material needed to successfully debate this statistical issue.
  10. Have some fun while you are at it. That's an order. Life is short, enjoy what you do.

-Stat

Since racism is a child of "fear" and ignorance creates fear, I tend to agree that they go hand in hand.

Mod Edit - Rules Violation.

Last edited by a moderator:
As bad as you people want to be considered smart and not racist you sure need to spend a lot of time trying to convince everyone.

Since racism is a child of "fear" and ignorance creates fear, I tend to agree that they go hand in hand.
"Since racism is a child of "fear'" is nothing but opinion.

The opinion of many experts. Why else would anyone be racist? If not fear, what do you think causes racism?

Racism is another word for fear.
Ignorance Fear Racism - Term Papers - Barndawg220

Before people were able to travel and experience difference groups of people, we predominantly stayed in the same kind of area with the same kind of people. We feared things that were different, and were lacked the power to face those kinds of things. All this changed once we did, in fact, obtain this level of human advancement, but the fear never drifted. The truth is, racism began as soon as people faced those of different races. We’ve always the fear of change, not to mention the unknown.
Racism and its Affect on Society Teen Essay About racism black white tolerance affects effects society lauren peterson and discrimination

Racism Is Fueled By Fear Catherine Meeks Ph.D.

NOPE. But being a liberal/democrat seems to prove that. Especially when they have to start a thread and act like they are above all those they list.
It is Black Sunday+50, a day to be sanctimonious and ignore the 50 years of progress.

they can't accept the people kicked them out of power even with their Black skinned Messiah as President. they have no one to blame but themselves. as people got sick and tired of frikken threads such a such as this and in real life

Whoa....who got kicked out of power? Seems to me that both the House and Senate folded to what the President wanted just recently, so please, do elaborate on what power you speak of.

But, Stephanie, what does that have to do with the OP? Do you think that conservatives got elected based on racism?

Last edited:
As bad as you people want to be considered smart and not racist you sure need to spend a lot of time trying to convince everyone.

Who is "you people"? Sounds like one of Anne Romney's comments.

The opinion of many experts. Why else would anyone be racist? If not fear, what do you think causes racism?

Racism is another word for fear.
Ignorance Fear Racism - Term Papers - Barndawg220

Before people were able to travel and experience difference groups of people, we predominantly stayed in the same kind of area with the same kind of people. We feared things that were different, and were lacked the power to face those kinds of things. All this changed once we did, in fact, obtain this level of human advancement, but the fear never drifted. The truth is, racism began as soon as people faced those of different races. We’ve always the fear of change, not to mention the unknown.
Racism and its Affect on Society Teen Essay About racism black white tolerance affects effects society lauren peterson and discrimination

Racism Is Fueled By Fear Catherine Meeks Ph.D.
You are using opinionated teen essays to back your opinion?

That is not going to work.

First, we have to define racism.

You go first.

Last edited:
NOPE. But being a liberal/democrat seems to prove that. Especially when they have to start a thread and act like they are above all those they list.
It is Black Sunday+50, a day to be sanctimonious and ignore the 50 years of progress.

they can't accept the people kicked them out of power even with their Black skinned Messiah as President. they have no one to blame but themselves. as people got sick and tired of frikken threads such a such as this and in real life

Whoa....who got kicked out of power? Seems to me that both the House and Senate folded to what the President wanted just recently, so please, do elaborate on what power you speak of.
Get on topic or leave the debate please.

Is I.Q. also related to race and gender? The question the OP raises is equally bigoted and offensive....not to mention ignorant.
I am still waiting for a definition of racism.

It certainly is NOT "disagreeing with Progressives".

It is the belief that one group is superior to another in regard to basic human rights, in my opinion.

To others, it is disagreeing with the Ferguson Grand Jury and the Justice Department in the Michael Brown death.

I have been on this board too long, I have lots of links on topic a few are at bottom. See my question to conservatives paragraph down.

But I do not think conservatives are necessarily dumb - nor anymore racist than lots of Americans - unless we define dumb outside IQ and even education. Job Stewart recently did a piece on conservatives that parallels something I wrote ten years ago. Amazing how little American conservatism (AC) has changed in all these years but that is why they are AC. Is Scalia dumb? Alito dumb? Most would claim they have gotten pretty far up the ladder to be dumb? But their arguments often lack normal human common sense imnsho. One of my most conservative relatives a physicist is very conservative, dumb? AC is rather a way of thinking, a closed minded attitude of ideology that sees everything as black and white and often hierarchical. I'll leave it there for now, I'd be curious if any conservative can formulate a counter argument. More of my assessment is in question below.

Here's a guy who at the least has defined AC, but read carefully you see the problem. The Russell Kirk Center Ten Conservative Principles by Russell Kirk

I have asked this question many times and have never received a substantive answer. Answers usually take the form of name changing or taking responsibility for something that isn't in the conservative playbook. I'll give a hint where I am coming from, I see American conservatives as people who look to a past that never was, who feel deep down a sense of loss or impending loss, someone somewhere is taking something that is rightfully theirs, and who feel if only they were granted more power all would be wonderful. This sense of the world for is a psychological mindset rather than something based in reality. This question applies to libertarians too with the difference, libertarians look to a future that never will be. So my question is, please tell me / us what a conservative or conservatism has accomplished that is good for the nation and all its people? Since most libertarians resemble conservatives you can give it try too. Please remember one thing, this is about 'conservatism' and not about other ideologies or political parties. Oppositional replies are irrelevant. Please stick to the topic question.

"The collapse of the Bush presidency, in other words, is not just due to Bush's incompetence (although his administration has been incompetent beyond belief). Nor is it a response to the president's principled lack of intellectual curiosity and pitbull refusal to admit mistakes (although those character flaws are certainly real enough). And the orgy of bribery and special-interest dispensation in Congress is not the result of Tom DeLay's ruthlessness, as impressive a bully as he was. This conservative presidency and Congress imploded, not despite their conservatism, but because of it." "Why Conservatives Can't Govern" by Alan Wolfe

"Conservatism is the theoretical voice of this animus against the agency of the subordinate classes. It provides the most consistent and profound argument as to why the lower orders should not be allowed to exercise their independent will, why they should not be allowed to govern themselves or the polity. Submission is their first duty, agency, the prerogative of the elite." Corey Robin 'The Reactionary Mind'

If you check only one link check the first one.

A Conservative Wakes Up US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
Conservatism Understood Another in a series of Midcan s insights into contemporary US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
I am disappointed in many of my conservative posters... US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
What would happen to the United States if Conservatives left US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
What would happen to the United States if Conservatives left US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
Liberal vs Conservative good vs evil US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
An honest question to conservatives. US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
Use this handy parable to understand politics US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

An old post still relevant.
end of democracy US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

I have been on this board too long, I have lots of links on topic a few are at bottom. See my question to conservatives paragraph down.

But I do not think conservatives are necessarily dumb - nor anymore racist than lots of Americans - unless we define dumb outside IQ and even education. Job Stewart recently did a piece on conservatives that parallels something I wrote ten years ago. Amazing how little American conservatism (AC) has changed in all these years but that is why they are AC. Is Scalia dumb? Alito dumb? Most would claim they have gotten pretty far up the ladder to be dumb? But their arguments often lack normal human common sense imnsho. One of my most conservative relatives a physicist is very conservative, dumb? AC is rather a way of thinking, a closed minded attitude of ideology that sees everything as black and white and often hierarchical. I leave it there for now, I'd be curious if any conservative can formulate a counter argument. More of my assessment is in question below.

Here's a guy who at the least has defined AC, but read carefully you see the problem. The Russell Kirk Center Ten Conservative Principles by Russell Kirk

I have asked this question many times and have never received a substantive answer. Answers usually take the form of name changing or taking responsibility for something that isn't in the conservative playbook. I'll give a hint where I am coming from, I see American conservatives as people who look to a past that never was, who feel deep down a sense of loss or impending loss, someone somewhere is taking something that is rightfully theirs, and who feel if only they were granted more power all would be wonderful. This sense of the world for is a psychological mindset rather than something based in reality. This question applies to libertarians too with the difference, libertarians look to a future that never will be. So my question is, please tell me / us what a conservative or conservatism has accomplished that is good for the nation and all its people? Since most libertarians resemble conservatives you can give it try too. Please remember one thing, this is about 'conservatism' and not about other ideologies or political parties. Oppositional replies are irrelevant. Please stick to the topic question.

"The collapse of the Bush presidency, in other words, is not just due to Bush's incompetence (although his administration has been incompetent beyond belief). Nor is it a response to the president's principled lack of intellectual curiosity and pitbull refusal to admit mistakes (although those character flaws are certainly real enough). And the orgy of bribery and special-interest dispensation in Congress is not the result of Tom DeLay's ruthlessness, as impressive a bully as he was. This conservative presidency and Congress imploded, not despite their conservatism, but because of it." "Why Conservatives Can't Govern" by Alan Wolfe

"Conservatism is the theoretical voice of this animus against the agency of the subordinate classes. It provides the most consistent and profound argument as to why the lower orders should not be allowed to exercise their independent will, why they should not be allowed to govern themselves or the polity. Submission is their first duty, agency, the prerogative of the elite." Corey Robin 'The Reactionary Mind'

If you check only one link check the first one.

A Conservative Wakes Up US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
Conservatism Understood Another in a series of Midcan s insights into contemporary US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
I am disappointed in many of my conservative posters... US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
Liberal vs Conservative good vs evil US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
An honest question to conservatives. US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
Use this handy parable to understand politics US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

An old post still relevant.
end of democracy US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum
I got as far as "John Stewart".

I never go any further.

This was common knowledge as far back as John Stuart Mill.

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."

BUT ...

I've said it before, that I believe we are all "racist" to some extent or another.

Its just that some embrace that ignorance and others try to evolve past it.

IMO

"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."

BUT ...

I've said it before, that I believe we are all "racist" to some extent or another.

IMO
"That was common knowledge" does not conform to the rules of the discussion.

Let us agree to define racism first.
Here is one, but I think we need to tweak it.

Racism | Define Racism at Dictionary.com
dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism
racism definition
. The belief that some races are inherently superior (physically, intellectually, or culturally) to others and therefore have a right to dominate them.

BUT ...

IMO
Let's get past opinion.

Forum List

Back