Zone1 Do Christians Proselytize out of “Love” - or Arrogance?

Catholic teaching is that Jesus willingly laid down his life for all. He also took it up again.

As you note, it is a hateful thing to say, and likely he got it from another hater. Could be he heard someone else say it, noted the shock value it had among others, and passed it on to you. Could be an ignorant parent or relative said it in passing and he picked up on it. Since he repeated it to you, I tend to go with the first theory. He wanted to hurt and how said is it that people learn to be abusive as young as six.
But bear in mind that the nasty little POS knew it was a major insult to Jews, and even at age six, he knew I was one of the “bad ones.”

In my childhood experience, the worst antisemites were those who went to Catholic School, and that continued all through my teen years.

Can't help you there because I attended Catholic school and that was never taught--and never done--by anyone. I am not doubting you and Lisa that it did occur--it is just not what happened where I lived (small Western town).

Didn't happen to me or my children.

But bear in mind that the nasty little POS knew it was a major insult to Jews, and even at age six, he knew I was one of the “bad ones.”

In my childhood experience, the worst antisemites were those who went to Catholic School, and that continued all through my teen years.
I am truly sorry.

I am truly sorry.
Thank you. You sound like one of the good ones, so I’m not saying ALL Catholic School kids. But it did seem to be a breeding ground for Jew hate.

It was also likely confirmed by the parents in those instances. I couldn’t go to a friend’s 16th birthday part because her father didn’t allow Jews in the house. This was in the 1970s, in Washington DC.

It was also likely confirmed by the parents in those instances. I couldn’t go to a friend’s 16th birthday part because her father didn’t allow Jews in the house. This was in the 1970s, in Washington DC.
I do hope things have changed since then. Or, at least started to change.

I do remember the nuns warning us kids to "stay out of those places".

Can't help you there because I attended Catholic school and that was never taught--and never done--by anyone. I am not doubting you and Lisa that it did occur--it is just not what happened where I lived (small Western town).
oh I lived in a very christian town but there were
some jews MOVING IN-----The town was originally
very ANGLICAN (episcopalian) and actually restricted
until the post war baby boom rendered selling little houses VERY PROFITABLE. In my childhood---the episcopalians managed to remain "all white"----but lately the town is integrated. ----probably still very
islamo-nazi ------it's a matter ---to some extent of its geography and local demographics

They were busy building up their country... healthcare, education, clean water, roads, housing.. Jews just weren't important to them.
In the course of my working years, I worked with
HUNDREDS (could be thousands) of professionals educated in muslim
lands----including some from Saudi Arabia (not a
whole lot but enough) My kind of work included
long hours------which means lots of informal
conversation. "JEW" is part of the curriculum
of muslim schools----from grammar school thru
medical school and a very big issue in the
weekly educational Khutbah Jumaat feces fling (for
those who attend---not so much but some
members of the family do if not Iranian)

In the course of my working years, I worked with
HUNDREDS (could be thousands) of professionals educated in muslim
lands----including some from Saudi Arabia (not a
whole lot but enough) My kind of work included
long hours------which means lots of informal
conversation. "JEW" is part of the curriculum
of muslim schools----from grammar school thru
medical school and a very big issue in the
weekly educational Khutbah Jumaat feces fling (for
those who attend---not so much but some
members of the family do if not Iranian)

Did they know you are Jewish?

Early Christians believed Mary was without sin. That's where it originated from.
But religious people don’t consider sex sinful as long as it is within the bounds of marriage. Adultery is the sin.

But religious people don’t consider sex sinful as long as it is within the bounds of marriage. Adultery is the sin.
I don't know that the early Christians believed Mary was conceived without sex. I only know they believed she was without original sin and never sinned.

Did they know you are Jewish?
More or less.
Initially lots assumed I am christian----however ---
keep in mind I do not live in UTAH and hospitals
always have some jews in the north east USA---
to wit, lots of the doctors----but even then----I
got a accused of "not really being a jew"---by a
horrified young pakistani opthalmologist. The
poor kid almost dropped dead when I
POPPED OUT OF THE CLOSET

Lisa----there is something REALLY FASCINATING
and unclear to me about the christian fascination
with "VIRGIN" mary. It seems to me that there
are levels of "ADORATION" linked to her "eternal
virginity" thing that vary with the sects and
nationalities of christians

Forum List

Back