DirecTV is Dropping OANN

It'd be great if all TV died. People might start thinking again.
TV *is* dying in favor of streaming services and social media. The viewership of stuff like OANN (and Fox News and CNN) is trending older and older. It’s only a matter of time before traditional TV’s audience dies of old age.

Hell, even streaming services have probably already peaked, and some new media outlet we can’t even imagine yet will rise up in our lifetime to replace it.

Locally I'm seeing more Dish and DirectTV systems being removed than installed.

The rise of internet TV is poisoning the well for the whole (satellite and cable) model of bundles and real-time viewing.

In the last week I set up two homes with OTA antennas (Under $5 each for adequate equipment). In one case removing their satellite TV equipment (they had let their former long-term contract expire) and in the other packing up their cable box which they returned to their provider (they kept the internet service and their mobile phone from same vendor) and reduced their bill by $99/month. One already had a "smart TV" - the other bought a $22 ROKU box and already has an Amazon Prime membership bought years ago to take advantage of the free shipping. For me it's NOT a business - I do it for free for neighbors and though most offer payment I decline. I do not advise anyone to try to make a business out of doing what I do. The "clients" are all of advanced years and it takes about 4 hours working with them to make them comfortable with the "new" way of watching.

Of the many people I've helped through this in the last year or so there were only 2 who had regularly watched CNN or OANN. Most were getting their news from local channels (local news plus typically CBS, few ABC or NBC). The most watched overall was PBS, including their propaganda-casts passed off as "news". That won't change as there is a strong local PBS signal.

So far none have opted to buy Netflix, Hulu or similar. They're overwhelmed by the no-cost programming they're getting OTA and understood that Prime TV (Amazon) is just a side benefit for the free-shipping they signed up for. In fairness to urban folks, this is a rural area so people place several Amazon orders every month to avoid driving a fair distance for anything other than regular food shopping. But some are doing a good chunk of even that on Amazon for variety they can't get anywhere in reasonable distance.

I do believe there will be even greater changes coming as the low-Earth satellite systems blossom and terrestrial internet services feel price pressure.

Locally I'm seeing more Dish and DirectTV systems being removed than installed.

The rise of internet TV is poisoning the well for the whole (satellite and cable) model of bundles and real-time viewing.

In the last week I set up two homes with OTA antennas (Under $5 each for adequate equipment). In one case removing their satellite TV equipment (they had let their former long-term contract expire) and in the other packing up their cable box which they returned to their provider (they kept the internet service and their mobile phone from same vendor) and reduced their bill by $99/month. One already had a "smart TV" - the other bought a $22 ROKU box and already has an Amazon Prime membership bought years ago to take advantage of the free shipping. For me it's NOT a business - I do it for free for neighbors and though most offer payment I decline. I do not advise anyone to try to make a business out of doing what I do. The "clients" are all of advanced years and it takes about 4 hours working with them to make them comfortable with the "new" way of watching.

Of the many people I've helped through this in the last year or so there were only 2 who had regularly watched CNN or OANN. Most were getting their news from local channels (local news plus typically CBS, few ABC or NBC). The most watched overall was PBS, including their propaganda-casts passed off as "news". That won't change as there is a strong local PBS signal.

So far none have opted to buy Netflix, Hulu or similar. They're overwhelmed by the no-cost programming they're getting OTA and understood that Prime TV (Amazon) is just a side benefit for the free-shipping they signed up for. In fairness to urban folks, this is a rural area so people place several Amazon orders every month to avoid driving a fair distance for anything other than regular food shopping. But some are doing a good chunk of even that on Amazon for variety they can't get anywhere in reasonable distance.

I do believe there will be even greater changes coming as the low-Earth satellite systems blossom and terrestrial internet services feel price pressure.
I have ROKU and firestick.
The company was going to charge me $90 for the internet, without using their programming, the others were just as much, some a little less with the startup fees.
They charge me $40 for the internet with their programming, they get you one way or the other.

Look up section 230. A bunch of uninformed people.
NO, no, no, no.
Doesn't work that way.
Evidently, you have these "violations" in your head, so you tell me specifically the violations.
YOU, made the claim, back it up.
Otherwise, you just spout nonsense.

Bloomberg reported late Friday that DirecTV has informed OANN's owner, Herring Networks Inc., that it intends to "stop carrying the company's two channels when their contract expires" in early April

There’s always that new Trump site I hear they’re starting.
another win for the good guys.

NO, no, no, no.
Doesn't work that way.
Evidently, you have these "violations" in your head, so you tell me specifically the violations.
YOU, made the claim, back it up.
Otherwise, you just spout nonsense.
When they act like a publisher they should be treated like a publisher. Are you just stupid? It's OK.

All this satellite/cable crap is a scam anyway.

No matter what service you sign up for you get channels that you never watch. For instance, I get all these filthy Black channels that do nothing more than preach racial hate and destructive Black culture for the most part. They also have hate mongering fake news networks like CNN and MSNBC.

I am at the point of dropping the cable I have and using streaming to get what I want. We can get OANN on Pluto or even Youtube TV, among others.

What we need is a cable or satellite service that will give us only what we want to watch. Let the Negros and the stupid Libtards watch whatever they want and we Americans will watch whatever we want.

If DirecTV drops FoxNews, I'll sign a new 2 year contract with them. My old dish is still mounted next to the house.
If Directv dropped Fox News they would lose more customers than they would gain.

People who like to watch 24/7 news aviod fake news outlets like CNN and MSNBC.

I am not saying Fox News is always reliable but they are far better than their competition in my opinion. If nothing else they were smart enough to not buy the Steele Dossier crap that Hillary bought to attack Trump. Even CNN admits the dossier was largely false.

All this satellite/cable crap is a scam anyway.

No matter what service you sign up for you get channels that you never watch. For instance, I get all these filthy Black channels that do nothing more than preach racial hate and destructive Black culture for the most part. They also have hate mongering fake news networks like CNN and MSNBC.

I am at the point of dropping the cable I have and using streaming to get what I want. We can get OANN on Pluto or even Youtube TV, among others.

What we need is a cable or satellite service that will give us only what we want to watch. Let the Negros and the stupid Libtards watch whatever they want and we Americans will watch whatever we want.
Streaming is the future.

no i dont synth, but here is the difference.....its over,trump is gone.....you are still there.....i left it behind.....so no, trump like every other president, has not fucked my head up....
But he's threatening to come back, and Republicans are rigging the vote at the state level. Trump just quoted Stalin, and Republicans like you are silent.

Oh, so that means you have to watch Fox?

You poor, helpless, child, a slave to your TEEVEE.
No, retard. It means that a portion of my cable bill goes to a Rightwing propaganda channel, and I do not want to finance it. Holy shit you're stupid.

Forum List

Back