Dipping faucets

They say to let your faucets drip during a hard freeze to keep your pipes from freezing and bursting.
But if everyone is doing that would it cause low water pressure?
Has anyone else experienced this?
Even if everyone in town set their exterior faucets to a dripping, it won't cause a major problem. You should not turn the water on and leave it running. That's wasteful and not necessary All you need is a fast drip, a drop or so every second. If you are concerned with wasted water, you can put a bucket under the faucet and reuse the water. You can put a hood over the faucet so as to catch heat from house wall. This may protect the faucet but will not protect the connecting pipe.

I have found that a fast dripping faucet is the best protection for the faucet and the connecting pipes. And if you live in places where you have sub zero temperatures, then you need to think about any unheated areas where there are pipes such as a garage or a basement.

When it freezes here, dripping water or not, I gotta be out at the well with a hair dryer if I wanna take a dump and flush. Some little copper sensor tube valve thingy freezes up.

No. On a municipal water system water pressure is fairly constant under any conceivable demand. Low water pressure occurs when something has gone wrong with the system.
Depending where you live water pressure varies a lot. It is commonly between 50 and 60 psi where I live but I have measured it at times and found it peaks about 80 but that's rare.

I have found that a fast dripping faucet is the best protection for the faucet and the connecting pipes.
I guess the idea of frost-free hose bibs is lost on people from anywhere but the northern tier states.
shopping

They say to let your faucets drip during a hard freeze to keep your pipes from freezing and bursting.
But if everyone is doing that would it cause low water pressure?
Has anyone else experienced this?
Get some antibiotics from your doctor.

Have those installed, plus shutoffs valves leading up to them. Got -20 here and no issues.
Minus ten here and I have been warm as toast with no problems beyond ice on a steep driveway. I had to walk up and get the tractor to plow and sand before I could get the wife and truck up the driveway when we got home yesterday.

It's easier to just put old style Christmas lights or 11watt bulbs on the water lines just tie them up close to the pipes under the house....

Or turn off the water and drain the lines.

Minus ten here and I have been warm as toast with no problems beyond ice on a steep driveway. I had to walk up and get the tractor to plow and sand before I could get the wife and truck up the driveway when we got home yesterday.

It's easy to stay warm. Most every American can. It's paying these outrageous energy prices in which TO stay warm.

Climate change is bringing awareness of the need to insulate against cold weather in regions of American where it's neven been a concern before.

If the weather turns out to be as bad as predicted, there will be some serious consequences suffered by the denialists!

Hasn't it always been a matter of 'personal experience' being the only convincing factor for those who just will not accept the proof science has offered?
No one denies that the climate changes. No one denies that during the Winter it gets cold. You guys seem to be in denial of your own Global Warming story as you had to change it's name to 'climate change' in the face of 0 evidence of human caused global warming. Now you guys come back and say there is human caused 'climate change' when history proves that we have had the same or worse weather that has occurred in the past.

1978: The Two Historic Blizzards​

From the Mississippi River to Cape Cod, two major storms doled out an even dose of winter misery. The first came on January 25, bringing three feet of snow to much of Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, and Kentucky. Sometimes called the “Cleveland Superbomb,” it swept into Ohio with 100 mph winds and 25-foot snow banks.

1816: The Year Without a Summer​

In North America and Europe, the winter of 1816 never ended. There were reports of a foot of snow in Vermont in June. Persistently dark skies and cold rain. Barren orchards, dead cornfields, and the threat of famine. A warm spell would arrive only to be followed by sudden cold fronts, northwesterly winds, and snow. Salem, Massachusetts, for example, recorded 74-degree weather on April 16; about 36 hours later, the thermometer read 21. On Lake Geneva, the gloom inspired Mary Shelley to write “Frankenstein.”

1886: The Great Blizzard​

The Kansas blizzard of January 1886 is legendary. A series of storms battered the state for a week, causing 10-foot snowdrifts and temperatures of 30 below zero. About 100 Kansans were reported to have died. Homes on the prairie were cheaply built, leaving settlers with little shelter in the freezing weather. Those who stepped outside were easily lost or got frostbite.

Last edited:
I guess the idea of frost-free hose bibs is lost on people from anywhere but the northern tier states.
shopping
They work fine for protecting what is above ground, however in places with long periods of subzero temperatures, leaving facet running with a fast drip will work best.

They work fine for protecting what is above ground, however in places with long periods of subzero temperatures, leaving facet running with a fast drip will work best.
Common sense dictates that when you have freeze zones below ground, you bury your pipes below them. Dripping faucets are only effective for those who did not think proactively or those who live in temperate climes. What happened to all of that concern over water conservation--oh, I forgot, if it doesn't fit the democrat narrative it can be disregarded on a moment's notice. LMAO.

Forum List

Back