Dipping faucets

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017
They say to let your faucets drip during a hard freeze to keep your pipes from freezing and bursting.
But if everyone is doing that would it cause low water pressure?
Has anyone else experienced this?

They say to let your faucets drip during a hard freeze to keep your pipes from freezing and bursting.

We didnt the last hard freeze and we had three burst.
We let em run this time around and no frozen pipes.
A girl that works for the Wife actually said...wont that make your water bill go up?
Derp...of course but it's far better than having to call a plumber and the sheetrock/painter to fix the aftermath.

But frozen bursted water pipes makes the prettiest ice sculptures!!!!

Frozen-Pipes-in-paramus-Burst-Pipes-in-hackensack-repair-service-by-plumber.jpg

A girl that works for the Wife actually said...wont that make your water bill go up?
Derp...of course but it's far better than having to call a plumber and the sheetrock/painter to fix the aftermath.
But do you have low water pressure when everyone is dripping their faucets?

But do you have low water pressure when everyone is dripping their faucets?
No. On a municipal water system water pressure is fairly constant under any conceivable demand. Low water pressure occurs when something has gone wrong with the system.

Climate change is bringing awareness of the need to insulate against cold weather in regions of American where it's neven been a concern before.

If the weather turns out to be as bad as predicted, there will be some serious consequences suffered by the denialists!

Hasn't it always been a matter of 'personal experience' being the only convincing factor for those who just will not accept the proof science has offered?

I never do it. Never had a busted pipe in the winter.

But now that I said that I'll probably have a busted pipe tomorrow.

I often get stuck with the chore of fixing the neighbors' busted pipes, though.

Either way I'm stuck fixing pipes.

yep. A few days of allowing your water to drip at a rate that keeps the pipes from bursting is cheaper than repairing the pipes.

Important safety tip. Be sure to crack open both hot and cold.

Climate change is bringing awareness of the need to insulate against cold weather in regions of American where it's neven been a concern before.

If the weather turns out to be as bad as predicted, there will be some serious consequences suffered by the denialists!

Hasn't it always been a matter of 'personal experience' being the only convincing factor for those who just will not accept the proof science has offered?

Don't you just love climate change? If it's too hot outside, it's climate change. If it's too cold outside, it's climate change.

Years ago we just called these events summer and winter, and everybody accepted it.

I think it all depends on your situation. Here it was -4 degrees and the wind blowing at 24 mph. I didn't run any water and the pipes were fine. It's about 8 degrees now and the same thing. However, with the exception of one apartment, all my plumbing are in inside walls. They won't freeze under any circumstance. If you have water lines in the outside walls, that's something to be a little more concerned about. But no, a small drip is not going to lower water pressure.

Don't you just love climate change? If it's too hot outside, it's climate change. If it's too cold outside, it's climate change.

Years ago we just called these events summer and winter, and everybody accepted it.

In the 57 years I've lived in Texas we had one pipe burst when the Wife and I had a rental house in 89.
Now we've had two in the last two years.
Glowbull warming my ASS!!!

You must live in Houston or a city that doesn’t have water towers but uses electric pumps to pump the water in.
City water systems always use towers or some other kind of elevated tanks or reservoirs to supply water by gravity. Water is often pumped uphill from the source to the tank but pumps do not supply water pressure. Gravity is much more dependable.

I e known the drill since my youth. Let the facet farthest from the source drip, so it doesn't freeze.
Knowing this I still made a mistake! I let the cold water run, and it's fine. The hot waterline however...When this fucker thawes, I'll be doing some plumbing. Thank me I have two kitchens...

Forum List

Back