Did Phil Mickelson just torpedo his legacy as a golf great?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
For those unfamiliar with what happened, here is a quick summary. Phil Mickelson made some comments about a Saudi sponsored golf league called the Super Golf League (SGL) that has been in the works for a few years. The goal of the SGL is to lure top players to their league instead of the PGA tour. What got Phil in trouble were comments inferring that the PGA unfairly restricts player pay among other things and that the SGL is giving players some leverage they've never had before. The backlash against Phil has been enormous, he has lost sponsorships and many of his fellow tour players have slammed him. He has taken "time off" from the tour to reassess and reflect.

It seems to me that the ferocity of the backlash is unwarranted. He must have touched a nerve to cause this must ruckus. I also have to believe Phil knew what he was starting, and the Saudi's must have dangled a really big carrot in front of him to say such risky things. As always jmo.

For those unfamiliar with what happened, here is a quick summary. Phil Mickelson made some comments about a Saudi sponsored golf league called the Super Golf League (SGL) that has been in the works for a few years. The goal of the SGL is to lure top players to their league instead of the PGA tour. What got Phil in trouble were comments inferring that the PGA unfairly restricts player pay among other things and that the SGL is giving players some leverage they've never had before. The backlash against Phil has been enormous, he has lost sponsorships and many of his fellow tour players have slammed him. He has taken "time off" from the tour to reassess and reflect.

It seems to me that the ferocity of the backlash is unwarranted. He must have touched a nerve to cause this must ruckus. I also have to believe Phil knew what he was starting, and the Saudi's must have dangled a really big carrot in front of him to say such risky things. As always jmo.

All I can say is fuck SA.

Don't care. I never watch golf, and only played one time. Got banned from course for getting drunk and having golf cart races with my buddies. It was the golf course's fault. They should have known better than to rent each of us our own golf cart.

Don't care. I never watch golf, and only played one time. Got banned from course for getting drunk and having golf cart races with my buddies. It was the golf course's fault. They should have known better than to rent each of us our own golf cart.
You just didnt have enough money not to get banned.

Phil is a little flighty, that's true, but people get too uptight over speech these days. Let the man have his say. But with his monetary and professional status, along with his age, one would think Phil would have his talking game down pat at this point.

Could be. But Greg Norman has to be wanting Phil drawn and quartered right now. :)

Bottom line. There are millions of dollars..and those speak and have sway.
If you disagree, either take your pound...or leave and just admit defeat.

The substantive golf matters do not...matter. The PGA is in many ways an authoritarian organization like the NCAA and most state HS sports governing bodies. Nobody important cares that Phil was kissing up to the Saudi's in order to get a better deal as a professional golfer.

He got his teat in a ringer when he was asked about atrocities (the murder of Jamal Khashoggi) and the homophobic policies of the Saudi monarchy, which he tried to shrug off as not important. This set the woke media on fire. As always with the said woke media, his apology simply made things worse.

Phil is, as a public persona, an acquired taste. Most golf fans hate him but millions like him and the way he golfs. He will take risky shots as a matter of course, shots that lesser golfers would decline to try for fear of losing a tournament if they fuck it up. He will lose some endorsement income that will reduce his total income back into eight digits for the next couple years. Oh, the humanity!

The substantive golf matters do not...matter. The PGA is in many ways an authoritarian organization like the NCAA and most state HS sports governing bodies. Nobody important cares that Phil was kissing up to the Saudi's in order to get a better deal as a professional golfer.

He got his teat in a ringer when he was asked about atrocities (the murder of Jamal Khashoggi) and the homophobic policies of the Saudi monarchy, which he tried to shrug off as not important. This set the woke media on fire. As always with the said woke media, his apology simply made things worse.

Phil is, as a public persona, an acquired taste. Most golf fans hate him but millions like him and the way he golfs. He will take risky shots as a matter of course, shots that lesser golfers would decline to try for fear of losing a tournament if they fuck it up. He will lose some endorsement income that will reduce his total income back into eight digits for the next couple years. Oh, the humanity!
I'm really interested to see just how deep this goes. It's not about endorsement income IMO, it's about his legacy. I agree that the PGA is very authoritarian and protective of their pristine image. I doubt they will suspend Phil as they want him at the Masters, but who knows?

Well when that phony Lebron James and the entire NBA has made fortunes from China the last 30 yrs knowing that slave labor and communist homicidal maniacs made it possible

So I would have to get past the NBA thingey first

Money talks....

Saudi money makes some athletes talk different...

The same as China money, Russian money, etc

I think Rory McElroy speaks for a lot of people in regards to his comments on Phil and what Phil said about this proposed league.
That pos was engaged to be married to a pro tennis star and a month before marriage informed her by TEXT that it was over. Totally fucking crushed her

If I was her dad I would have beat em with his Mashie

Poor Phil

he’s trying to serve two masters

and thats normally impossible to do

Competition is good. It brings salaries up. The pga will have to pay more to keep players from leaving.

Phil cant go up or down as far as his golf legacy. He was great but not the greatest.

He is the Ben rothlessburger of golf. At least Phil didn’t molest women like Ben did.

Forum List

Back