DeSantis signs controversial bill banning kids under 14 from opening social media accounts

I'm sorry but that's just plain ridiculous and doesn't make any sense. Why would I be for sexual predators when I would keep my own little kids off social media just because I'm against the government making that decision?
Social media is how they target young children!

Yeah so why does it need to be a law? Why not leave it up to the parents to parent their children?
Slippery slope for me! I see your point, however I have watched for years as social media has made kids less social, and Parents have become guardians(friends) more than Parents, and give in to kids to keep them out of their hair, where as we were just made to go outside!

Slippery slope for me! I see your point, however I have watched for years as social media has made kids less social, and Parents have become guardians(friends) more than Parents, and give in to kids to keep them out of their hair, where as we were just made to go outside!

Okay well you see my point and that's a start. I have to give you credit for that much at least.

Frankenstein I took back my disagree because at least you're one of the people to work with me on this and not label me as a lib and or a pedo protector just because I'm against the government getting involved with this.

It is the place of the government to regulate contracts. Children are not allowed to enter into contracts anywhere else. Requiring parental consent is the very minimum that should be done. Restricting access to social media is no different.
Ok you make a good and interesting point however the parental consent I don’t have a problem with… banning kids from being able to use it I think is government overreach.

“With the state preparing for a legal challenge from the tech industry, Gov. Ron DeSantis on Monday signed a controversial bill aimed at keeping children off social-media platforms.

“You better believe, I am going to fight like hell to uphold this in court,” Attorney General Ashley Moody said during a bill-signing event in Jacksonville.

Lawmakers this month overwhelmingly passed the bill (HB 3), which House Speaker Paul Renner, R-Palm Coast, made a priority of the annual legislative session. The bill, in part, seeks to prevent children under age 16 from opening social-media accounts on at least some platforms — though it would allow parents to give consent for 14- and 15-year-olds to have accounts. Children under 14 could not open accounts.”

Children should not have access to all social spaces.

Whole you’re probably right that kids shouldn’t be on social media…I have no idea how desantis plans to enforce this. Is he going to demand that social media companies enact a “parental consent” function in the app? And that somehow they will report to the state of Florida every time a kid wants to sign up for a social media account?

While I agree that children shouldn’t be on social media, that’s not for the state to decide, that’s up to the parents.

Whole you’re probably right that kids shouldn’t be on social media…I have no idea how desantis plans to enforce this. Is he going to demand that social media companies enact a “parental consent” function in the app? And that somehow they will report to the state of Florida every time a kid wants to sign up for a social media account?

While I agree that children shouldn’t be on social media, that’s not for the state to decide, that’s up to the parents.
Parents rights are awesome, but on this case I am fine with states rights making the call. I would even like to see some legislation on the use of technology by adults. In Michigan we do have some. However, more is needed considering how retarded everyone is.

Forum List

Back