Des Moines Register: Trump is a "feckless blowhard", should drop out

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
Des Moines Register.png

Editorial Trump should pull the plug on his bloviating side show

Excepts:

It's time for Donald Trump to drop out of the race for president of the United States.

People who run for public office typically perform a great public service, regardless of whether they win on Election Day. That's particularly true of presidential candidates, most of whom must devote two years of their lives to hard-fought campaigns that involve staggering personal and financial sacrifices, all in an effort to serve their country.

And then there's Trump.

In the five weeks since he announced his campaign to seek the GOP nomination for president, Trump has been more focused on promoting himself, and his brand, than in addressing the problems facing the nation. If he were merely a self-absorbed, B-list celebrity, his unchecked ego could be tolerated as a source of mild amusement. But he now wants to become president, which means that he aspires to be the leader of the free world and the keeper of our nuclear launch codes.

That is problematic, because Trump, by every indication, seems wholly unqualified to sit in the White House. If he had not already disqualified himself through his attempts to demonize immigrants as rapists and drug dealers, he certainly did so by questioning the war record of John McCain, the Republican senator from Arizona...

...If Trump, our would-be commander in chief, doesn't like POWs, how does he feel about men and women killed in action?

His comments were not merely offensive, they were disgraceful.

...he has coarsened our political dialogue and cheapened the electoral process.

He has become "the distraction with traction" — a feckless blowhard who can generate headlines,
name recognition and polling numbers not by provoking thought, but by provoking outrage.

In just five weeks, he has polluted the political waters to such an extent that serious candidates who actually have the credentials to serve as president can't get their message across to voters....

Other than the opening line, I bolded 6 points made in the OP-ED, and remember, this is just an OP-ED, but from a newspaper with a lot of influence in the very first caucus state in the Nation. And this paper is often read a lot in neighboring states like Missouri, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

The paper has a mixed record of endorsements, sometimes for the Democrat and sometimes less for the Republican. And it's endorsement has not always gone for the winner, but the Des Moines Register has unabashedly spoken it's mind. From 1976 through 2008, the Des Moines Register endorsed the Democratic Presidential candidate, so it's endorsement often did not help much nationally:

1972: Richard Nixon; Richard Nixon
1976: Jimmy Carter; Jimmy Carter
1980: Jimmy Carter; Ronald Reagan
1984: Walter Mondale; Ronald Reagan
1988: Michael Dukakis; George H.W. Bush
1996: Bill Clinton; Bill Clinton
2000: Al Gore; George W. Bush
2004: John Kerry; George W. Bush
2008: Barack Obama; Barack Obama
2012: Mitt Romney: Barack Obama

The bolded indicates where the endorsement and the national winner lined-up. That's 5 of 11.

In 2012, it endorsed Mitt Romney for president. Obama won nationally and in the state.

When you look at it's endorsement to state win record, then it looks like this:

1988: Michael Dukakis; Michael Dukakis
2000: Al Gore; Al Gore

Again, the bolded indicates where the endorsement and the national winner lined-up.

In 7 of 11 national elections, the person whom the Register endorsed won Iowa on election night. And in 2004, it was a razor-thin edge for President Bush.

Not that endorsements mean that much, but were Don Trump to get the GOP nomination, I think it's a safe bet that he would never get the Register's endorsement.

Remember, this is just an opinion, but from a newspaper that has a broad readership.

And although most will remember the phrase "feckless blowhard", I think that the phrase that encapsulates it all the best is:

"...he has coarsened our political dialogue and cheapened the electoral process."

In fact, this is the first time in my lifetime, watching electoral politics, that I have seen the word "coarsened" used against a candidate, ever. This may, just may, be a first. If anyone can find the use of this word in describing a declared presidential candidate, please let me know.

BTW, while Donald Trump is now soaring in the ABC/WAPO poll, when asked if his view represent the core of the Republican party, the answer was:

29 YES, 56 NO, 14 no opinion, NO by +27. (p. 7 of the document)

That question was answered only by R-RVs.

Discuss. Your thoughts?

Gotta laugh.

If you ask Trump a question he'll give you exactly what he thinks as an answer. If you don't like it or its not PC then he could care less.

Rather refreshing when you look at all the professional politicians in DC who say what ever they think someone wants to hear. If one of them ever said what they really thought they'd be out on their asses.

Trumps a breath of fresh air.

Can he get the nomination?? Don't know.

Would I vote for him if he did?? Don't know that either. Will be fun to find out.

Speaking of dummies, must be nice to know when someone is lying. Of course you suppose they are lying because they don't agree with you.

Oh and tell me who in politics isn't a liar?? They all lie. I guess you only agree with those telling the lies you do agree with.

Dummy that you are. LOL

Says an OP who supports Killary, and actually thinks she is for America. She is for nothing more than her legacy job, and will be just as bad as the current disaster in chief.

Oh noes! The dreaded Newspaper Editorial! What WILL Trump do now that everything is lost?

Probably ignore it.

I don't know why the Dems support a woman who lies as much as she does. (The Old Blue Waffle)

View attachment 45137

Excepts:

It's time for Donald Trump to drop out of the race for president of the United States.

People who run for public office typically perform a great public service, regardless of whether they win on Election Day. That's particularly true of presidential candidates, most of whom must devote two years of their lives to hard-fought campaigns that involve staggering personal and financial sacrifices, all in an effort to serve their country.

And then there's Trump.

In the five weeks since he announced his campaign to seek the GOP nomination for president, Trump has been more focused on promoting himself, and his brand, than in addressing the problems facing the nation. If he were merely a self-absorbed, B-list celebrity, his unchecked ego could be tolerated as a source of mild amusement. But he now wants to become president, which means that he aspires to be the leader of the free world and the keeper of our nuclear launch codes.

That is problematic, because Trump, by every indication, seems wholly unqualified to sit in the White House. If he had not already disqualified himself through his attempts to demonize immigrants as rapists and drug dealers, he certainly did so by questioning the war record of John McCain, the Republican senator from Arizona...

...If Trump, our would-be commander in chief, doesn't like POWs, how does he feel about men and women killed in action?

He has become "the distraction with traction" — a feckless blowhard who can generate headlines,
name recognition and polling numbers not by provoking thought, but by provoking outrage.

In just five weeks, he has polluted the political waters to such an extent that serious candidates who actually have the credentials to serve as president can't get their message across to voters....

Other than the opening line, I bolded 6 points made in the OP-ED, and remember, this is just an OP-ED, but from a newspaper with a lot of influence in the very first caucus state in the Nation. And this paper is often read a lot in neighboring states like Missouri, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

The paper has a mixed record of endorsements, sometimes for the Democrat and sometimes less for the Republican. And it's endorsement has not always gone for the winner, but the Des Moines Register has unabashedly spoken it's mind. From 1976 through 2008, the Des Moines Register endorsed the Democratic Presidential candidate, so it's endorsement often did not help much nationally:

The bolded indicates where the endorsement and the national winner lined-up. That's 5 of 11.

In 2012, it endorsed Mitt Romney for president. Obama won nationally and in the state.

Again, the bolded indicates where the endorsement and the national winner lined-up.

In 7 of 11 national elections, the person whom the Register endorsed won Iowa on election night. And in 2004, it was a razor-thin edge for President Bush.

Not that endorsements mean that much, but were Don Trump to get the GOP nomination, I think it's a safe bet that he would never get the Register's endorsement.

Remember, this is just an opinion, but from a newspaper that has a broad readership.

And although most will remember the phrase "feckless blowhard", I think that the phrase that encapsulates it all the best is:

"...he has coarsened our political dialogue and cheapened the electoral process."

In fact, this is the first time in my lifetime, watching electoral politics, that I have seen the word "coarsened" used against a candidate, ever. This may, just may, be a first. If anyone can find the use of this word in describing a declared presidential candidate, please let me know.

BTW, while Donald Trump is now soaring in the ABC/WAPO poll, when asked if his view represent the core of the Republican party, the answer was:

Discuss. Your thoughts?

Well done! Thank you.

Personally, I love Trump. He has taken usually a very bland and predictable point of the political process and turned it into circus. His mouth has no filter and because he is "very rich" he says whatever he wants, thinking that everyone will bow to his opinion, just as all his servants do.

Sadly, he has found that most Americans are not his servants and we don't agree with his very convoluted opinions. I just love it when he opens his mouth and loses a little more credibility and, sometimes, money.

But Trump is in it to win it. It doesn't matter how many lame, tasteless statements he makes. There will always be people out there who agree with his extreme stances, and will defend his indefensible positions. A few of those "crazies" were in Arizona, again, encouraging the political clown.

So, I hope he stays in the race until the end and if he loses the nomination, I think right now, it is better than even money that he will finance his own campaign and continue on. GO FOR IT DONALD!

Last edited:
View attachment 45137

Excepts:

And then there's Trump.

Discuss. Your thoughts?

Well done! Thank you.

Personally, I love Trump. He has taken usually a very bland and predictable point of the political process and turned it into circus. His mouth has no filter and because he is "very rich" he says whatever he wants, thinking that everyone will bow to his opinion, just as all his servants do.

Sadly, he has found that most Americans are not his servants and we don't agree with his very convoluted opinions. I just love it when he opens his mouth and loses a little more credibility and, sometimes, money.

But Trump is in it to win it. It doesn't matter how many lame, tasteless statements he makes. There will always be people out there who agree with his extreme stances, and will defend his defenseless positions. A few of those "crazies" were in Arizona, again, encouraging the political clown.

So, I hope he stays in the race until the end and if he loses the nomination, I think right now, it is better than even money that he will finance his own campaign and continue on. GO FOR IT DONALD!
Maybe he needs a teleprompter to be able to talk.....like Obama.

When Obama is off prompter he slips up all of the time.....only what he has to say is dishonest and just plain boring.

View attachment 45137

Excepts:

And then there's Trump.

Discuss. Your thoughts?

Well done! Thank you.

But Trump is in it to win it. It doesn't matter how many lame, tasteless statements he makes. There will always be people out there who agree with his extreme stances, and will defend his defenseless positions. A few of those "crazies" were in Arizona, again, encouraging the political clown.

When Obama is off prompter he slips up all of the time.....only what he has to say is dishonest and just plain boring.

Good suggestion! Write Donald and tell him....

View attachment 45137

Excepts:

And then there's Trump.

Discuss. Your thoughts?

Well done! Thank you.

Good suggestion! Write Donald and tell him....
He's doing fine. At least he's bringing up issues nobody else will.

I hope Trump stays in

Have you seen the other Republicans? Dull, no charisma, mumbling GOP dogma

Trump makes things exciting and pulls all the attention to himself....the others have been reduced to a sideshow

Can republicans really be this dumb?

I think it's great that a guy who lies as often as Donald Trump is labeled a "breath of fresh air" by so many dummies.

Yes, he even blatantly lied about the size of the crowd that came to see him in Phoenix.

First, he said it was 9,000. The Center where it was held only holds 4,200 and it was not full. Even FOX news reported it at 3,500. But in Ames, he suddenly said it was 15,000.

That was a bold, brazen lie.

Oh noes! The dreaded Newspaper Editorial! What WILL Trump do now that everything is lost?

Probably ignore it.

I don't know why the Dems support a woman who lies as much as she does. (The Old Blue Waffle)

Hey, bud.

If you read the OP, you will see that I wrote more than once that it is merely an opinion. I even went as far as to statistically prove that the Register doesn't always pick the right GE winner when it endorses.

Nonetheless, it is one of the largest and most read papers in the Midwest.

Now, I took time to write that just for you, snookums.

Capisce?

I think it's great that a guy who lies as often as Donald Trump is labeled a "breath of fresh air" by so many dummies.

Yes, he even blatantly lied about the size of the crowd that came to see him in Phoenix.

First, he said it was 9,000. The Center where it was held only holds 4,200 and it was not full. Even FOX news reported it at 3,500. But in Ames, he suddenly said it was 15,000.

That was a bold, brazen lie.
Never heard of stealth supporters?

Trump has billions of stealth supporters throughout the country

If Trump drops out, that means we have to start listening to the other Republicans again

I support a Third party bid by Trump...he should not have to accept the attacks by fake RINO s .....if he loses the GOP bid then its Third party time.....

View attachment 45137

Excepts:

And then there's Trump.

Discuss. Your thoughts?

Well done! Thank you.

Yes, like this, right?

reagan-teleprompter.jpeg

reagantele.jpg

Mission%2BAccomplished%2Bsmall-thumb-425x278.jpg

Because bitching using a teleprompter-meme is much easier than actually arging a point for or against something, n'est ce pas?

Forum List

Back