Democrats should immediately confront the minimum wage rate.

I voted for the increase in min wage just like the board of directors vote to raise their prices..

So..you're a minimum wage type of guy, aye?

I don't even pay people by the hour, I pay them by the day.

I can't even collect a full day's pay for the last job I did, I couldn't make it a whole day. :(

Ah well, we'll get 'er done anyways. That's why I'm the man. I make it happen no matter what.

The commie states Missouri and Arkansas just approved minimum wage increases. Shitholes are full of shiftless takers and a drag on the rest of the United States am I right?
Nope you are full of shit and a greedy bastard..
I guess I really am full of shit pardon me for a sec.
A lot of these libs on here are what, in LE circles, are called un-redeemable, and therefore totally useless to a society based on freedom.

Democrats regained the congressional House. Now they should immediately confront the federal minimum wage rate issue.

I’m among those that advocate a minimum wage rate gradually increased to higher purchasing power and thereafter monitored and (when necessary to retain its targeted purchasing power), it should be updated prior to New Year’s date of the following year. In my opinion, annual increases of 12% until the rate achieves 125% of its February 1968 purchasing power is reasonable.

It would be possible, but politically problematic for the Republican majority U.S. Senate not to pass an alternative bill responding to the Democratic House’s bill. Usually, there are differences between bills that may, (or may not) be reconciled by negotiators from each chamber. A bill sent to the president for his consideration must be passed by both houses with exactly the same drafted language. That usually requires both chambers to again vote and pass a draft of the bill that’s a mutually agreed upon update.

Possible House’s negotiating positions:

The Senate will be displeased by the concept of pegging the rate’s purchasing power.
The House’s alternative position could be, lose the purchasing power provision but give us 15% annual increase for 10 years.

The Senate may then find the purchasing power concept less objectionable but they're then displeased with the 12%.
The House’s alternative position could be, 8% increase every Labor Day until the rate achieves 125% of its February 1968 purchasing power, but the rate’s additionally annually updates reflecting changes in the CPI-U will begin prior to the New Year’s day following the enactment day of the Bill.

I hope the Democratic negotiators would be polite and respectful beyond civility, but FIRM! they should not acquiesce or attempt to placate to the opposition. Democrats should be fully prepared to leave the negotiating table and permit the differences to be resolved by the 2020 general elections.

Respectfully, Supposn
No. Spring/Summer 2020

The commie states Missouri and Arkansas just approved minimum wage increases. Shitholes are full of shiftless takers and a drag on the rest of the United States am I right?
Nope you are full of shit and a greedy bastard..
I guess I really am full of shit pardon me for a sec.
A lot of these libs on here are what, in LE circles, are called un-redeemable, and therefore totally useless to a society based on freedom.
Those sovereign citizens are an abomination to society.

I voted for the increase in min wage just like the board of directors vote to raise their prices..
more like "Democrats should immediatley confront Maxine Waters and reccommend an operation to remove all 7 sniper bullets wedged in her brain"

Democrats regained the congressional House. Now they should immediately confront the federal minimum wage rate issue.

I’m among those that advocate a minimum wage rate gradually increased to higher purchasing power and thereafter monitored and (when necessary to retain its targeted purchasing power), it should be updated prior to New Year’s date of the following year. In my opinion, annual increases of 12% until the rate achieves 125% of its February 1968 purchasing power is reasonable.

It would be possible, but politically problematic for the Republican majority U.S. Senate not to pass an alternative bill responding to the Democratic House’s bill. Usually, there are differences between bills that may, (or may not) be reconciled by negotiators from each chamber. A bill sent to the president for his consideration must be passed by both houses with exactly the same drafted language. That usually requires both chambers to again vote and pass a draft of the bill that’s a mutually agreed upon update.

The Senate will be displeased by the concept of pegging the rate’s purchasing power.
The House’s alternative position could be, lose the purchasing power provision but give us 15% annual increase for 10 years.

The Senate may then find the purchasing power concept less objectionable but they're then displeased with the 12%.
The House’s alternative position could be, 8% increase every Labor Day until the rate achieves 125% of its February 1968 purchasing power, but the rate’s additionally annually updates reflecting changes in the CPI-U will begin prior to the New Year’s day following the enactment day of the Bill.

I hope the Democratic negotiators would be polite and respectful beyond civility, but FIRM! they should not acquiesce or attempt to placate to the opposition. Democrats should be fully prepared to leave the negotiating table and permit the differences to be resolved by the 2020 general elections.

Respectfully, Supposn

Naah…...politically st00pid. GOP can just fire back and point to Seattle!:113::113:

Seattle's Minimum Wage Has Been a Disaster, as the City's Own Study Confirms
How Seattle provides a practical example of minimum wages leading to losses in income and employment
Tuesday, June 27, 2017

https://fee.org/articles/seattles-minimum-wage-has-been-a-disaster-as-the-citys-own-study-confirms/

Pointless issue. Even the fast food restaurants around here pay between 9 & 12 per hour despite the current minimum wage.
A national wage is dumb because the cost of living varies from region to region. States know best what is needed and that determination should be left up to them.

Respectfully, Supposn

Naah…...politically st00pid. GOP can just fire back and point to Seattle!:113::113:

Seattle's Minimum Wage Has Been a Disaster, as the City's Own Study Confirms
How Seattle provides a practical example of minimum wages leading to losses in income and employment
Tuesday, June 27, 2017

https://fee.org/articles/seattles-minimum-wage-has-been-a-disaster-as-the-citys-own-study-confirms/
so what; the laws of demand and supply work. in the long run, higher paid labor will pay more in taxes and create more in demand.

Respectfully, Supposn

I agree with you. The republicans haven't allowed the minimum wage to increase since the first part of this century. All increases since then were done at the state level. The first to do it was the city of SeaTac. In Washington. They did it by ballot initiative. Then Seattle followed but politicians did it instead of the people by ballot initiative. The republicans all over the nation screamed bloody murder and predicted that Seattle and SeaTac would be destroyed. They weren't and many other states followed. By the way, Washington by state law has to have the highest state minimum wage in the nation. If any state increases their minimum wage above Washington, by law in Washington the minimum wage automatically increases a certain percentage above that other state's minimum wage.

The states that have higher wages are the more successful and prosperous states.

Increasing wages is so long over due. It will raise the standard of living for millions of workers in this nation. It will also increase tax revenue which is very much needed.

The type of automatic increases you described should be law so that workers will never go this long without an increase in pay and the wage gap won't get this lopsided.

Republicans scream they're capitalists but don't know one of the first rules of capitalism. Capitalism requires the free flow of money throughout the population to succeed. When you concentrate most of the money in very few hands, capitalism fails. Which results in what Russia now has. Oligarchy and monopolies. Capitalism will kill itself if proper regulations aren't established. A minimum wage is one of those proper regulations.

...The House of Reps should be working together with their President to pass legislation that is both passable by the Senate and signable by the President and will advance the American agenda. But they won't, the D's are currently 100% opposed to President Trump's idea to make America great again, and will do what they can to return the country to malaise.

As far as the issue of the Federal Minimum wage, its pretty much dead. Many states already have higher limits if the people there wanted it. Further, in states like Pennsylvania which don't have a higher minimum wage, very few places actually pay at the minimum wage. The Trump economy is booming, and here even traditional minimum wage places like retail stores and fast food are offering wages far above the statutory minimum.
Maybe we should start raising the minimum wage. ... The problem is stagnant wages. The middle class have seen very little wage growth under either Trump or Obama. ...
... The Minimum Wage issue has nothing at all to do with the Middle Class. ...
PolishPrince, the federal minimum rate affects all U.S. wage rates, but it doesn’t affect them all equally. It’s of greatest benefit proportionally to lesser wage rates, and of lesser benefit to higher rates, but it’s generally of benefit to the aggregate of all U.S. employees. The purchasing power of the median wage is affected by the purchasing power of the minimum wage. You cannot have an adequate median-wage if the purchasing power of the minimum rate’s inadequate. The purchasing power of the median wage is among the best indication of a nation’s living standards.

The U.S. Congress cannot impel a state to increase their minimum rate beyond the federal minimum rate, but they can set the federal minimum higher for the purpose of preventing states with the lowest employees' purchasing powers from more excessively undermining the economy of their own and our entire United States.

Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn

I agree with you. The republicans haven't allowed the minimum wage to increase since the first part of this century. All increases since then were done at the state level. The first to do it was the city of SeaTac. In Washington. They did it by ballot initiative. Then Seattle followed but politicians did it instead of the people by ballot initiative. The republicans all over the nation screamed bloody murder and predicted that Seattle and SeaTac would be destroyed. They weren't and many other states followed. By the way, Washington by state law has to have the highest state minimum wage in the nation. If any state increases their minimum wage above Washington, by law in Washington the minimum wage automatically increases a certain percentage above that other state's minimum wage.

The states that have higher wages are the more successful and prosperous states.

Increasing wages is so long over due. It will raise the standard of living for millions of workers in this nation. It will also increase tax revenue which is very much needed.

The type of automatic increases you described should be law so that workers will never go this long without an increase in pay and the wage gap won't get this lopsided.

Republicans scream they're capitalists but don't know one of the first rules of capitalism. Capitalism requires the free flow of money throughout the population to succeed. When you concentrate most of the money in very few hands, capitalism fails. Which results in what Russia now has. Oligarchy and monopolies. Capitalism will kill itself if proper regulations aren't established. A minimum wage is one of those proper regulations.

Only real losers have need concern themselves with the minimum wage. Only about 3% of the workforce is effected by it.

Forum List

Back