Democrats, Liberals, Progressives: NOW What?

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
While I allow the relief of the elections to wash over me, and now that we have once again said that we don't want a Talk Radio/Qanon presidency (just louder this time), I can't help but wonder what the Democratic Party is going to do.

So, Democrats, Liberals, Progressives, is the party going to (1) try to rise above the ugliness of the last four-plus years and lead ALL of America, or is it going to (2) remain in the Trump mud and do everything it can to shove its entire agenda down our throats?

As for me, I'm hopeful it's (1). And, until further notice, I'm going to be hopeful that Biden has the right experience and temperament for the moment. There are still many moderates from both parties in Congress, so while the Trumpsters are paranoid (as usual) that we're going full commie, that obviously isn't going to happen. But will the Democrats lead as if they can hear ALL voices?

The Democrats are going to change very little. Maybe some small tax increases which will come nowhere close to covering everything else they do for the rich.

There will be talk of doing this or doing that but they will do little to nothing. In four years the country will be little changed from today.

(Not something I support)

wkrp_dvd_cover.jpg

While I allow the relief of the elections to wash over me, and now that we have once again said that we don't want a Talk Radio/Qanon presidency (just louder this time), I can't help but wonder what the Democratic Party is going to do.

So, Democrats, Liberals, Progressives, is the party going to (1) try to rise above the ugliness of the last four-plus years and lead ALL of America, or is it going to (2) remain in the Trump mud and do everything it can to shove its entire agenda down our throats?
Hoping for 1. Counting on 2.

As for me, I'm hopeful it's (1). And, until further notice, I'm going to be hopeful that Biden has the right experience and temperament for the moment. There are still many moderates from both parties in Congress, so while the Trumpsters are paranoid (as usual) that we're going full commie, that obviously isn't going to happen. But will the Democrats lead as if they can hear ALL voices?

Very doubtful. Divided partisanship is baked into our election process. It won't change until we change the process (eg - ranked choice voting and more granular representation)

The key problem is that a 51% victory scores 100% (or something close to it) of the power. There's no incentive for either party to seek real consensus. Apart from the vague notion of a "popular mandate", getting 70% of the vote offers no real advantage over a 51% victory. And it has its downside, because to get that 70% a party would have to abandon its more radical and divisive ambitions.

Im not sure why you would expect democrats to rise above their ugliness of the past 4 years, but it isnt going to happen. These people destroyed multiuple cities for Christ sake, and assaulted god knows how many Trump supporters or perceived Trump supporters. They are nasty, violent and destructive.

Last edited:

Whoever spends the first $100 trillion and takes the lives of 100 million unborn babies and lets in the first 100 million illegal aliens into the US wins!

Don't forget to enrich Iran again, after all, they need those nukes for the apocalypse.

But will the Democrats lead as if they can hear ALL voices?
Do you really care?

you had your temper tantrum and now America is really screwed

thanks for nothing
Mac is the lone voice of reason here.

In fact, I look forward to listening to his wisdom on how to best handle the looming economic/pandemic/international crisis.

Hoping for 1. Counting on 2.

Very doubtful. Divided partisanship is baked into our election process. It won't change until we change the process (eg - ranked choice voting and more granular representation)

The key problem is that a 51% victory scores 100% (or something close to it) of the power. There's no incentive for either party to seek real consensus. Apart from the vague notion of a "popular mandate", getting 70% of the vote offers no real advantage over a 51% victory. And it has its downside, because to get that 70% a party would have to abandon its more radical and divisive ambitions.
While I want to believe that they're intelligent enough to realize that most of the country is in between the two whacked out ends, I also recognize (a) the power of ideology and (b) our electoral system only CARES about the two whacked out ends.

I'll remain hopeful, if not terribly optimistic.

After nearly 50 years, you don't know who *biden is? You think he's going to change all of a sudden?

Enjoy your higher taxes, gasoline prices, and job killing regulations. Hardheads. :eusa_wall:

I suppose they should cut taxes again to address the debt. It's worked so well in the past.

"I don't belong to an organized party, I'm a Democrat"

That's as true today as it was 90 years ago.

Forum List

Back