Debate Now Democrats: If Not Hillary, then Who?

I never really put much stock in either of them because it always seemed so obvious they were just pack mules to me.
Thanks for the reminder that what I think really doesn't matter when it comes to who can get elected and why.

Perhaps we're focusing a little differently. I was thinking in terms of who might be nominated, not necessarily who might be elected.

Well now this is interesting. "On the Issues" has a vote match section in which you answer a few questions and it matches you up with candidates you would prefer in the primaries.

LINK HERE: VoteMatch Quiz

So I answered the questions according to my convictions, and the results were Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, and Rob Portman at the top, in that order, but the highest percentage by which I liked any of them was 43%. All the results, however, were GOP, some with somewhat lower percentages and some with low percentages. No Democrats showed up on my list.

So I went back and answered the questions as I think a moderate Democrat would probably answer them and the results were:

Joe Biden, Democrat 40%
Hillary Clinton, Democrat 40%
Bernie Sanders (of all people) - I 40%
Barack Obama, Democrat
Scheweitzer of Montana, Democrat
Scott Keller independent
All the other choices were Republicans though with small percentages of preference.

What does this mean? I don't know but probably our idea of who we want to be elected President in 2016 is probably somebody different than we thnk it is, most especially if that person is a Democrat.

By the way, Pelosi and Reid didn't make my fictiitious moderate Democrat's list anywhere. :)

Last edited:
I never really put much stock in either of them because it always seemed so obvious they were just pack mules to me.
Thanks for the reminder that what I think really doesn't matter when it comes to who can get elected and why.

Perhaps we're focusing a little differently. I was thinking in terms of who might be nominated, not necessarily who might be elected.

Yes, I'm not being really being excessively nit picky re the rule on that here--yet anyway--but the idea was that if we are going to have a Democrat elected President in 2016, what Democrat do we want that to be. I would think Democrats would want the person they think most closely represents their interests. I would think many Republicans would want the same or possibly would want the Democrat they believe would do the least harm to the country.

Yes, I'm not being really being excessively nit picky re the rule on that here--yet anyway--but the idea was that if we are going to have a Democrat elected President in 2016, what Democrat do we want that to be. I would think Democrats would want the person they think most closely represents their interests. I would think many Republicans would want the same or possibly would want the Democrat they believe would do the least harm to the country.

I already gave an example of one Democrat from my state that I could support ... And I don't want to seem too narrow.
There is another Democrat from Louisiana (that we just got rid of as a Senator) ... That would do less damage as President.

Senator Mary Landrieu can work across the aisle when pushed ... And will look out for the best interests of people outside her party when it is overwhelmingly obvious it will benefit the whole. She will still toe the party line in most cases, but can be a bit more cautious when warranted. The only thing that breaks her is greed and the inability to recognize when a deal seems too good to be true.

Last edited:
There is no requirement that anybody be even a registered voter, much less a member of any political party to participate here, Henry, but do you really want a Pelosi/Reid or Pelosi/DiBlasio ticket? Why?

Remember, we're talking about a Democrat ticket. We are not talking about the outcome of an election for the actual office.

I do see Pelosi/Reid as being far more appropriate for The Democrat Party than either Ms. Clinton or Ms Fauxahontas. Ms. C is too old and appears to have issues related to her falls. Ms. Warren - just too phony. She has made a fool of herself over the tribal issue which she has substituted for any kind of experience beyond money manipulation.

Pelosi and Reid have extensive government experience. We may not like the outcome of that experience but neither would require four years of training wheels to tackle the job.

I tend more toward DiBlasio than to Reid, however, as he has already "made his bones" with his rapid-fire Socialization of New York. True, he is very light on executive experience but he IS articulate and he does know how to dress to suit the audience at hand without giving the appearance of "having to have been cleaned up". Pelosi is young enough that DiBlasio could anticipate her living long enough to show him the ropes but only if he could convince her to allow him to do more than cut ribbons to open parks. I do think he has sufficient chutzpah to make that happen.

Together they'd make a formidable (though not too formidable) pair. I believe their being in the race would make the general election more fair and balanced. Factors of immense value to their probable base.

No, we're not looking for a Democrat ticket though I don't have any objection to choosing a Vice President along with the President, and that might be a good thing to do.

The question assumes that a Democrat WILL BE ELECTED president in 2016. Who do we want that Democrat to be?

Besides the Hildebeasty, you have these.... whatever they are...to chose from as front runners for the DemocRATS!

2qibgyf.jpg

Lunatic-Elizabeth_Warren.gif

At last resort, you can always go with the deranged, old pedophile!

giphy.gif

I already gave an example of one Democrat from my state that I could support ... And I don't want to seem too narrow.
There is another Democrat from Louisiana (that we just got rid of as a Senator) ... That would do less damage as President.

Senator Mary Landrieu can work across the aisle when pushed ... And will look out for the best interests of people outside her party when it is overwhelmingly obvious it will benefit the whole. She will still toe the party line in most cases, but can be a bit more cautious when warranted. The only that breaks her is greed and the inability to recognize when a deal seems too good to be true.

Mary Landrieu does have some decidedly moderate, even somewhat right of center views I think, at least more so than most Democrats remaining in office.

The sad thing is that too often the GOP is unable to pick up seats in very liberal states or districts. Nancy Pelosi, for instance, is in a safe seat against any GOP challenger no matter how badly she does her job. So the Democrats who are replaced with Republicans are more often going to be the more moderate Democrats elected in more moderate districts. And that was the case with Landrieu. The more seats the GOP gain, the more to the left the Democrats are going to be.

According to On the Issues, two sections of Mary Landrieu's views:

On abortion:
  • Supports right to choose & Roe v. Wade. (Nov 1996)
  • Voted NO on defining unborn child as eligible for SCHIP. (Mar 2008)
  • Voted YES on prohibiting minors crossing state lines for abortion. (Mar 2008)
  • Voted NO on barring HHS grants to organizations that perform abortions. (Oct 2007)
  • Voted YES on notifying parents of minors who get out-of-state abortions. (Jul 2006)
  • Voted YES on $100M to reduce teen pregnancy by education & contraceptives. (Mar 2005)
  • Voted YES on criminal penalty for harming unborn fetus during other crime. (Mar 2004)
  • Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions except for maternal life. (Mar 2003)
  • Voted NO on maintaining ban on Military Base Abortions. (Jun 2000)
  • Voted NO on banning human cloning. (Feb 1998)
  • Endorsed Recommended by EMILY's List of pro-choice women. (Apr 2001)
  • Rated 43% by NARAL, indicating a mixed voting record on abortion. (Dec 2003)
On the Economy:
  • Opposed $700 billion bailout; not enough taxpayer safeguards. (Oct 2008)
  • Voted YES on $192B additional anti-recession stimulus spending. (Jul 2009)
  • Voted YES on modifying bankruptcy rules to avoid mortgage foreclosures. (May 2009)
  • Voted YES on additional $825 billion for economic recovery package. (Feb 2009)
  • Voted YES on $60B stimulus package for jobs, infrastructure, & energy. (Sep 2008)
  • Voted NO on paying down federal debt by rating programs' effectiveness. (Mar 2007)
  • Voted NO on $40B in reduced federal overall spending. (Dec 2005)
  • Voted NO on prioritizing national debt reduction below tax cuts. (Apr 2000)
  • Voted YES on 1998 GOP budget. (May 1997)
  • Voted YES on Balanced-budget constitutional amendment. (Mar 1997)
  • Balance debt reduction, tax relief, & policy investment. (Jan 2001)

Last edited:
Besides the Hildebeasty, you have these.... whatever they are...to chose from as front runners for the DemocRATS!

2qibgyf.jpg

giphy.gif

I do not think for a minute that Joe Biden is a pedophile. Sometimes socially awkward and pretty clueless of how he appears on camera sometimes, but a pedophile? No.

So let's try to keep this civil, uninsulting and on point as much as reasonable, okay? We're looking for Democrats that would make the best President for the United States if we do elect a Democrat in 2016.

2qibgyf.jpg

giphy.gif

I do not think for a minute that Joe Biden is a pedophile. Sometimes socially awkward and pretty clueless of how he appears on camera sometimes, but a pedophile? No.

So let's try to keep this civil, uninsulting and on point as much as reasonable, okay? We're looking for Democrats that would make the best President for the United States if we do elect a Democrat in 2016.

Do you need to see MORE pictures of the "WORLD'S DUMBEST POLITICIAN" with assorted children, I have them, you KNOW I do!

2qibgyf.jpg

giphy.gif

Do you need to see MORE pictures of the "WORLD'S DUMBEST POLITICIAN" with assorted children, I have them, you KNOW I do!

Thank you no. You might find a ready audience for them on your own thread, but for now I would like to keep this thread on topic and reasonably civil and non combative. Thanks for understanding.

Mary Landrieu does have some decidedly moderate, even somewhat right of center views I think, at least more so than most Democrats remaining in office.

The sad thing is that too often the GOP is unable to pick up seats in very liberal states or districts. Nancy Pelosi, for instance, is in a safe seat against any GOP challenger no matter how badly she does her job. So the Democrats who are replaced with Republicans are more often going to be the more moderate Democrats elected in more moderate districts. And that was the case with Landrieu. The more seats the GOP gain, the more to the left the Democrats are going to be.

Well If you are going off of stats and voting records ... I think Senator Ben Nelson D-NE holds the most Conservative Democrat title at the moment.
That is not to be confused with the very liberal Democrat Senator Bill Nelson from Florida ... Who is potentially running for President in 2016.

Hey ... Did you see where Ben Affleck is actually considered as a "Potential Democrat Candidate".
Now that would be a riot ... Like the circus coming to town.
It would almost be worth having just for laughs and goodness knows we could all use one.

Well If you are going off of stats and voting records ... I think Senator Ben Nelson D-NE holds the most Conservative Democrat title at the moment.
That is not to be confused with the very liberal Democrat Senator Bill Nelson from Florida ... Who is potentially running for President in 2016.

Hey ... Did you see where Ben Affleck is actually considered as a "Potential Democrat Candidate".
Now that would be a riot ... Like the circus coming to town.
It would almost be worth having just for laughs and goodness knows we could all use one.

Voting record and other track record is important I think as it certainly is a more reliable way to judge a candidate than is by what he/she says on the campaign trail. Lord knows I was way more hopeful about the potential of candidate Obama in 2008 than I have been about President Obama who seems to have forgotten almost all of the stuff he said on the campaign trail.

That is my main problem with Hillary. She has no accomplishments to speak of at any point in her long 'career'. Not with Rose Law Firm. Not as first lady in Arkansas and Washington. Not as Senator Clinton. And not as Secretary of State. And her voting record doesn't gel with her 'moderate' rhetoric.

I'll look up Bill Nelson from Florida. As for Ben Affeck, I don't like him that much as an actor. So its hard to be enthusiastic about him as President. But maybe the GOP ticket would be Donald Trump and the Democratic ticket Ben Affleck. Now THAT would be a fun campaign. Not too sure how good it would be for the country. :)

REPUBLICANS AND OTHER NON-DEMOCRATS: IF NOBODY PUTS UP A CANDIDATE WHO CAN BEAT THE DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE, WHO DO YOU WANT THAT DEMOCRATIC NOMINEE TO BE AND WHY?

Joe Manchin. I like the guy personally, and he isn't afraid to buck the party line on occasion. He was well liked in West Virginia.

Not familiar with him either TK, but I'll look him up. Thanks.

And still not a single candidate has come up with a candidate if Hillary doesn't run. That Democratic bench must be really REALLY thin.

Are there no Democrats at USMB who are interested in this topic?

Or is it harder for a Democrat to deal with having nobody they are enthusiastic about to put up if Hillary doesn't run?

I think this post does not adhere to the spirit of the OP's guidelines for debate.

2qibgyf.jpg

giphy.gif

Is this the type of thing that qualifies for structured debate?

Forum List

Back