Democrats Are No-shows At Weekend Efforts To Prevent A Shutdown

The House can keep playing games or they can allow government to continue functioning

The Democrats and the President refuse to negotiate at the point of a gun. Using a government shutdown as a tool to force a position in which you lack the votes to pass it is a bad precedent

Negotiating with terrorists always just encourages them

Oh Brother. Govt will continue to function.

The House did its job. They signed the bill and sent it to Reid. Reid who wasn't there to receive it. Reid who doesn't want to start business till 2PM on Monday.

Reid who has already said the bill is DOA in the Senate. It will just be added to all those DOA bills gathering dust on his desk.

One has to wonder why Reid doesn't want debate on the bill. A bill that the Senate and House could reach agreement on.

Of course Reid wants to shut Govt Down. Then he can try to blame in on the Reps. What a guy.

I still haven't gotten an answer to this...imagine it is 2007 and Nancy Pelosi sends to the Senate a budget that funds everything, but ends the Bush tax cuts for the top 2%. She says she will allow the government to shut down if the budget isn't passed with an expiration of those tax cuts.

Who would be "shutting down the government" in the above scenario?

Pelosi

She would be trying to screw us out of a tax break.

In this case the Repubs are trying to prevent the Dems from screwing us with another tax increase.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

The House can keep playing games or they can allow government to continue functioning

The Democrats and the President refuse to negotiate at the point of a gun. Using a government shutdown as a tool to force a position in which you lack the votes to pass it is a bad precedent

Negotiating with terrorists always just encourages them

Which is worse?

Being threatened with destruction via media or being pressured to do the right thing by an imaginary gun?

Btw;
The only gun here is the one Obama and the Dems are holding to our heads.

Last edited:
I still haven't gotten an answer to this...imagine it is 2007 and Nancy Pelosi sends to the Senate a budget that funds everything, but ends the Bush tax cuts for the top 2%. She says she will allow the government to shut down if the budget isn't passed with an expiration of those tax cuts.

Pelosi

In this case the Repubs are trying to prevent the Dems from screwing us with another tax increase.

That's not an answer but a deflection. It's okay...we can already imagine what y'all would be saying if it were Democrats trying to shut down the government over something they couldn't do legislatively. The Fox wing nuts would be exploding with ire.

Pelosi

That's not an answer but a deflection. It's okay...we can already imagine what y'all would be saying if it were Democrats trying to shut down the government over something they couldn't do legislatively. The Fox wing nuts would be exploding with ire.

That was the only rational response you'er gonna get because it's the only one that makes any sense. This cannot be answered in a vaccum.

Pelosi would be attempting to raise taxes. The Dems are raising taxes yet again with Obamacare.

Pelosi

It happened in the 70's over abortion funding.
It was a war between the Democrat Liberals (then in the minority) over the majority of Democrats who were Conservative and Moderate.
Liberal Dem's in the Senate insisted they wanted to add rape and incest to the Medicaid funding.

The Abortion Shutdown

When did it take place? Sept. 30 to Oct. 13, 1977
How long did it last? 12 days
Who was president? Jimmy Carter
Who controlled the Senate? Democrats, 59-41; Robert Byrd was majority leader
Who controlled the House? Democrats, 292-143; Tip O'Neill was speaker
Why did it happen? The House insisted on continuing the ban on using Medicaid dollars to pay for abortions except in cases where the life of the mother was at stake. The Senate wanted to loosen this to include allowances for abortions in the case of rape or incest or when the mother's health was in danger. Because the issue had become tied to funding for Labor and HEW, failure to come to an agreement led those agencies to have a funding gap.

Government shut down happened 3 times over the fight.

What resolved it?
A deal was brokered in which the exception allowing Medicaid to pay for abortions in cases where the mother's life is endangered was widened to include abortions resulting from rape or incest, or which are necessary to protect the mother's health (even if her life was not endangered).

A victory of the minority back then for what they thought was for the rights of Women.

It's the opposite now, with the Minority in the House & Senate (Tea Party - Conservatives) with wanting to stop the New Health care Bill that they think will do great harm to our Economy and how the quality of our Health Care will be given.

The Liberals (minority) back then were not called names like radicals and they got their way.

Last edited:
The senate knows they don't have to do a thing, everyone knows the Rs are up to no good yet again. :lol:

It's been clear for 5 years that the Democrat controlled Senate has been up to no good. The House has passed a budget 5 years in a row and the Senate shitcans them and does nothing. Instead it's been one continuing resolution after another just to keep the government working.

I cannot believe you agree with this stupid horseshit. You must enjoy fucking with people's lives.
I thought that by not passing viable budgets, the Democrats were shilling to spend more, and for those first few years, it worked when they had a stranglehold on both houses. Now, with two counts of negligence on that spending that resulted in downgrading the US credit rating with banks, the Democrats still want to borrow and spend another trillion this upcoming year instead of doing the budget within our means.

We're a far cry from Obama's 2009 pledge to cut the deficit in half by the end of his first term. It never got there, plus the national debt is now at 16.95 trillion, almost 17 trillion. And as hard as Boehner is trying to stop spending, the Democrats go bananas if they can't hear a "yes" to spending another trillion that we don't have. They really need to pay that 5.5 trillion debt they have incurred against foreign countries, too.

USNationalDebtClock

and if i recall, he even said if he hadn't cut the deficit in half by the end of his first term he didn't deserve to be reelected. we need fiscal responsibility in Washington. nothing will hurt this country more then continued out of control spending. it doesn't matter which party does it. right now it is the democrats who are doing it and they need to be stopped

Pelosi

the problem right now is not obamacare, and that is not the issue the republicans are taking. the media may want us to believe that. the problem is out of control spending.

:lol: Guess why...

because they don't negotiate w/ hostage takers/extortionists (Repubs)? ;)

or at the very least, they do not negotiate in situations where it is far easier to not compromise at all and instead blame the opposition as though it is fully on them to give in to all demands.

Like I said. Democrats have been playing this blame game for 13 straight years quite successfully. They are the teenagers of the dysfunctional household that is DC.

in reality, there are no hostage takers, there are no "terrorists". What there is, is opposition to the democrat agenda. Adn the democrats are absolutely unwilling in any fashion to compromise with that agenda. Unless, you are a democrat and need a waiver from Obama Tax.

Otherwise, everything that goes wrong is the republicans fault.

They are projecting the true no compromise party onto the opposition.

Pelosi

the problem right now is not obamacare, and that is not the issue the republicans are taking. the media may want us to believe that. the problem is out of control spending.

Obamacare will increase spending.

Course Obama promised it would pay for itself.

Last edited:
anti_obama_congress_should_wear_uniforms_bumper_sticker-r073b17eae2c044d7a1a5baf5102a8e3e_v9wht_8byvr_512.jpg

I challenge any nutter here to find a liberal USMB member saying anything in favor of a shutdown.

On the other hand, I have seen dozens of nutter posts saying "shut it down!" On this forum.

Why is that?

Obamacare is the law of the land. It will not be delayed. It will not be defunded. It will not be repealed. It will likely be replaced in time with a single payer system. I'll probably be ashes by then, though.

Because we're not as reliant, aka DEPENDENT, on government

Obama gives rich businesses a break on Obamacare and Congress a break on Obamacare but not the American people.

This is Obama's shutdown.

if the Dems cave now and postpone the mandate for a year, next year the GOP will pull the same bullshit.

The Senate will reconvene to send the clean bill back on Monday

Why do Republicans insist on shutting down our government?

Because the Democrats insist on shutting the government down.

The Dems in the Senate won't convene till 2pm on Monday. The government shuts down 10 hrs later. If anything is passed the president won't have time to sign it.

It's clear who's shutting the government down and no amount of lying by you and any other liberal can't change that fact.

Republicans are throwing yet another tantrum

If I don't get my way.....we will shut down government

If govt gets shut down....it's YOUR fault for not giving us our way

Absolutely.

Obama gives rich businesses a break on Obamacare and Congress a break on Obamacare but not the American people.

This is Obama's shutdown.

if the Dems cave now and postpone the mandate for a year, next year the GOP will pull the same bullshit.

Except they wont fund Medicare next time...

next time the GOP will want to kill Medicaid, FEMA, the Dept. of Education, the Dept. of Commerce, SNAP, SCHIP, or some other program.

no, we cannot let this happen.

Forum List

Back