Democrat in gym shorts tries to rally blue votes in Trump country...John Fetterman believes his road to the Senate runs through Red Rural Pennsylvania

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
i'm gonna do excerpts for ya even though i'm busy watching Barcelona soccer game...that's how committed to the cause i am! lol actually it's a boring game lol

excerpts:

The gathering feels like a support group. More than a hundred people have come to the community center, everyone seated in rows of chairs arranged in a large semicircle. The host, a towering man with a shaved head, a hoodie and gym shorts, speaks to them in an empathic tone, like he wants them to know he understands.

“Is it easy being a Democrat in a red county?” asks John Fetterman, a Democrat running for the U.S. Senate.

“Nooooooo!” the crowd groans.

“Are you sure?” Fetterman asks.

“Yessssss!”

“A show of hands — who has had one of their signs stolen out of their yards?”

Hands shoot up.

“I got a bigger sign!” someone shouts.

“Who has gotten weird looks at the grocery store?” Fetterman asks. “Who has had strained relationships?”

More hands rise, including one belonging to Patsy Hartnett, 69, a retired teacher, who approaches Fetterman after he finishes speaking.

“You validate us,” she tells him. “Thank you.”

Rural Democrats. The muted minority. An embattled species. Here in Adams County, Pa., which borders Maryland, 66 percent of voters went for President Donald Trump in 2020

• Banned
MORE EXCERPTS:

One of those who have come out is Marty Wilder, a retired local newspaper editor who serves as a Democratic Party leader in McKean County, 150 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, where Trump won 72 percent of the vote in 2020. Wilder has lived for 40 years in Bradford, Pa., where the largest employer is the Zippo lighter plant. In recent years, when she organized rallies for Democrats, she said there were people who drove by “in their pickup trucks with their Trump flags, giving us the finger, honking. They came right up to us, especially the younger kids, right to our face.”

“I had a ‘Resist’ sticker on my car that I took off because I don’t want to deal with the harassment,” she says. “It’s pretty difficult being in such a minority.”

In Gettysburg, as Fetterman begins his spiel, a woman shouts, “We all came out of hiding for you!”

“Do you feel the Democratic Party has made your concerns the center of their campaign?” Fetterman asks.

“Nooooo!”

“Do you feel that we need to flip this seat blue?”

“Yes!”

He’s quick to make sure everyone knows he doesn’t mean turning Trump counties blue. If he thought that was possible, he likes to say, “You’d think I was smoking too much of what we think should be legal.” The goal is cutting into the margins of Republican victories.

“We as a party cannot afford both from a moral perspective but also a tactical perspective to let any of these counties go 80-20, 82-18, where we just let them run away with it,” Fetterman tells a breakfast crowd at Horn O Plenty, a restaurant in Bedford County, where Trump won 83 percent in 2020.

Republican leaders in Pennsylvania do not seem overly concerned.

“Fetterman is welcome to waste his resources up here, we’ve got a couple of Democrats somewhere,” Vince Matteo, GOP chair in Lycoming County (Trump: 70 percent), said in an interview. “He doesn’t represent the values of Lycoming County or anywhere in rural Pennsylvania. He’d be better off running in New York City.”

The Democrats who have come out to see Fetterman feel different.

Hartnett, who was at Fetterman’s Gettysburg event, said she felt as though he understood what it means “to come from a small town.” “We’re a real overlooked population,” she said. “We’re surrounded by a lot of people who don’t see any value in our viewpoint. He’s listening to us.”

At the Horn O Plenty gathering, where the menu offerings included a $16 plate of corned beef hash and eggs, Dave Cook describes himself as “energized” by Fetterman’s willingness “to encourage us to be Democrats, to not be hiding, to be proud and realize we’re Pennsylvania voters, too.”

Cook, 57, the owner of a weaving business, moved to Bedford 20 years ago after marrying his wife and relocating to her family’s farm. In 2008, he says he and his three kids were standing on a corner with an Obama campaign poster when a car pulled up. The driver, he says, pulled out a gun, “flashed it at us and then drove away. Several people just flipped us off.”

“You learn to keep your views to yourself,” he says

Seated in a nearby booth, Bonnie Walter, 55, who drives a school van, recalled her own unpleasant encounter at Walmart, where she went shopping in a face covering that had “B-i-d-e-n” printed across the front. “'You have a lot of guts wearing that in a public place,'” a man told her as he passed, she said.

“I wanted to say, ‘Are you one of those people who drank bleach?,’ ” says her husband, Steve Walter, a retired highway worker, but he decided silence was a more prudent response.

“I consider you the secret sauce in Democrats winning statewide,” Fetterman tells the Horn O Plenty crowd.

• Banned
i wear shorts and flip flops even to the mall to get political books...sometimes i wear a MAGA hat if Trump is in the news, and i'm a big dude just like Fetterman!

Rural Democrats. The muted minority. An embattled species. Here in Adams County, Pa., which borders Maryland, 66 percent of voters went for President Donald Trump in 2020

Uh, they are muted because they don't want to get shot by fucking GOP gun nut neighbors they have. I mean good lord, can you imagine putting a Biden sign out in Alabama next to a family of GOPers with 50 guns in their home?

We saw what happened to a friendly old lady who put some snow on her GOP neighbor's yard. The neighbor got a gun and SHOT HER on the spot. GOPers are psychopaths.

Uh, they are muted because they don't want to get shot by fucking GOP gun nut neighbors they have. I mean good lord, can you imagine putting a Biden sign out in Alabama next to a family of GOPers with 50 guns in their home?

We saw what happened to a friendly old lady who put some snow on her GOP neighbor's yard. The neighbor got a gun and SHOT HER on the spot. GOPers are psychopaths.

Oh for the love of God drama queen. Try wearing Trump attire, sew what happens.

• Banned
i wear a MAGA hat in fucking downtown Beirut....i'm the most courageous of anyone in history!

how asinine, you don't see us blocking highways dragging drivers out of their trucks for no reason just to assault them. There should be a season with tags so we could thin out these progressive nutjobs that think money grows on trees or comes from pixie dust

Fetterman must be desperate. Outside of the cities in PA, Democrats are never over 30% of the population. Since Dems focus their entitlements toward city dwellers, why would there be?

Besides - PA is a gun friendly state, since deer hunting is almost the state sport (outside of cities), and Dems want to take away guns. Another city / rural comparison, incidentally.

Democrats vote together 95% of the time. That goes for all Democrats. So when some con artist like Fetterman comes along and pretends to be an average Pennsylvanian, I call bullshit.

Fetterman must be desperate. Outside of the cities in PA, Democrats are never over 30% of the population. Since Dems focus their entitlements toward city dwellers, why would there be?

Besides - PA is a gun friendly state, since deer hunting is almost the state sport (outside of cities), and Dems want to take away guns. Another city / rural comparison, incidentally.
He’s not desperate he a grifter. 100 people average 100 bucks in donations and that’s a 10k night. High dollar prostitution.

Forum List

Back