Democrat Hope's of skyrocketing aluminum prices dashed so far.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
All the hope the left had seems to be tempered by aluminum prices that are actually declining despite doom & gloom predictions based on the tariff placed on it.

Our local commodities talk radio is abuzz today and are surprised at the decline in aluminum prices rather than the predicted impact it was thought would happen as a result of the tariffs.

• Banned
When all this doom & gloom talk came up I did not make any predictions either way. I said then that we should have a wait & see attitude. I still believe that. You never know where something can lead if you don't try it.

All the hope the left had seems to be tempered by aluminum prices that are actually declining despite doom & gloom predictions based on the tariff placed on it.

Our local commodities talk radio is abuzz today and are surprised at the decline in aluminum prices rather than the predicted impact it was thought would happen as a result of the tariffs.

Not sure of your point exactly.
Aluminum prices being down hurts American aluminum producers- who the tariff's being raised was supposed to help.

Meanwhile- steel prices are up 10% since the tariff's were announced- which helps American steel producers- but hurts American manufacturers.

Winners and losers on both sides.

:link::linky:

That’s because Trump exempted all the countries that we get our aluminum from. Our trade deficits wih them will soar now that Trump took out their competitors with the tariff.

My point is crystal clear. The predicted outcome was wrong.

Aluminum prices being down hurts American aluminum producers- who the tariff's being raised was supposed to help.

Meanwhile- steel prices are up 10% since the tariff's were announced- which helps American steel producers- but hurts American manufacturers.

My point is crystal clear. The predicted outcome was wrong.

One of the predicted outcomes was wrong- the other one was right.

How could aluminum prices be down?

Classic supply and demand.

Lots of suppliers rushed to stockpile aluminum in the United States prior to the tariff's being imposed- and now that they have been imposed- most countries are exempted from the aluminum tariff's.

More supply than demand- prices go down.

Which currently is hurting the very industries Trump said he was imposing the tariff's to help.

I.E.- this reaction is exactly the opposite of what Trump predicted.

Forum List

Back