deer proof fence ideas hints or whatever

had a doe and two fawns in garden today....and when i walked down ...i could see where the doe had bedded the fawns down...so suggestions of successful fences would be nice...with all the stats ....height of fence etc...electric or just angled? we are thinking of beginning by adding an electric to the existing fence and baiting it with peanut butter on foil....sounds a wee bit crazy

A 8 foot chain linked fence and make sure you put it down around several inches in the ground so the groundhogs can't crawl under it.
White-tailed deer can jump almost eight feet high, so effective upright fences against them should be this high. Deer may be able to jump high, but not both high and over a distance. So a fence may not be as high, perhaps six feet, but slanted outward. The deer will try walking under the fence and meet resistance.

My neighbor has a six foot fence around his garden then a four foot fence encircling the six footer about 8 feet from it. The theory is that deer won't jump two fences that close together. He claims it keeps them out. Keeps out the rabbits too!

hubby mentioned the double fence....he said about 3 ft in between them...i just need to do a lot of research on this....no matter what he opts to do it will be pricey and labor hard..lots of rocks...we have a fence around the garden already...for ogs and such but the deer just sail over it..and there is a bank...i am worried they will just fly down the bank and over so we are talking about the fence at the top of bank...it is said a stockade fence works cause they wont jump over it cause they cant see the other side....we have lived here over 35 years never had a deer problem...one of the local towns allows no hunting and feeds the deer and bear....so the deer arent afraid of people anymore....now they are moving down to other areas as that mountain is infested with deer...the bear dont bother our hives....electric fences

Yeah, a double fence is pricey. It sounds like the electric fence may be a good choice. Have you ever used those movable electric fences? They roll up for easy relocation, some are powered by a solar charger. People use them to rotate pigs, chickens etc to fresh pasture. I don't know if they have any tall enough for deer though.

we had a mobile mesh electric...the ground is just too rocky and all for those to work well ....i mentioned just fencing in the most important parts but got a total negative on that....

we dont wanna wake every dog in the hollow.....my friggin dogs are just half ass into chasing the deer....i am trying to talk my hubby into another dog....he is not buying into it...
You'll want to watch getting them to chase deer, too. A friend had to put her dog down after it killed a deer. Warden came, she didn't argue either.

Fuck that!!!
My Boxer Jack Dempsey killed several deer on my property,and several goats on my neighbors property.
I paid for the goats and ate the deer.

i would get a boxer but it would just kill my dogs too....they are so territorial when i would walk by this one house the boxer would try to follow or trail me i knew better than to let him and i could never figure out why some days he was more aggressive than others...one day i saw his small human....she didnt have a care in the world

i would get a boxer but it would just kill my dogs too....they are so territorial when i would walk by this one house the boxer would try to follow or trail me i knew better than to let him and i could never figure out why some days he was more aggressive than others...one day i saw his small human....she didnt have a care in the world

Of the six I've had over the years Dempsey was the only one who was like that. He was also the only male we didnt neuter.

All the others were total sweet hearts that wouldnt hurt a fly.
Our female Addie tried to make friends with porcupines,feral hogs and skunks.
Much to her dismay they didnt feel the same.

Concentrated Coyote Urine.

No kidding. They sell it at Agway. You mix it with water and spray it around.

It’s expensive but it seems to work.
lol I tried that once in my garden, but it smelled so bad I had to keep my windows in the house closed. I wouldn't, bones.

we dont wanna wake every dog in the hollow.....my friggin dogs are just half ass into chasing the deer....i am trying to talk my hubby into another dog....he is not buying into it...
You'll want to watch getting them to chase deer, too. A friend had to put her dog down after it killed a deer. Warden came, she didn't argue either.

Fuck that!!!
My Boxer Jack Dempsey killed several deer on my property,and several goats on my neighbors property.
Only telling you what happened. Where do you live?

Fuck that!!!

Texas

Fuck that!!!

Texas
You must have lots more deer than us.

Fuck that!!!

Texas
You must have lots more deer than us.

One of the top counties in the nation actually.
You can shoot five a year.

Low-current electric wire.

Or put some sweet feed away from your garden. :rolleyes:

Maybe Persimmon trees.

had a doe and two fawns in garden today....and when i walked down ...i could see where the doe had bedded the fawns down...so suggestions of successful fences would be nice...with all the stats ....height of fence etc...electric or just angled? we are thinking of beginning by adding an electric to the existing fence and baiting it with peanut butter on foil....sounds a wee bit crazy
Trying to remember where I saw it...there is a motion detected sprinkler. Something (squirrels, cats, deer, raccoons) they get a blast of water. Will try to locate it.

Strongest Deer Fencing! | DIY DEER FENCE

deerfence_supreme.jpg

8 foot tall recommended.........they can jump very high

Forum List

Back