DeBlasio & Trump: It's 1975 All Over Again (Beame & Ford)

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
A lot of people reading this were not even born yet in 1975, but I was 29 years old at the time and I remember it well. Just like Deblasio is asking Trump for federal $$$ for New York City currently going broke, and threatening to cut city jobs ( first responders, health care workers, sanitation workers, educators). back in 1975 then mayor Abe Beame did just that. The city's debt then was $10 Billion, and Beame cut police, firefighters, sanitation workers, etc, like never seen before.

The result was lots of crime and lots of fires which burned until they burned themselves out. Huge piles of garbage rotting in the streets, with nobody to remove them. Just like now, Beame appealed to then President Gerald Ford for federal $$$. Just like now, Ford refused to do the bailout, citing New York's carelessness and negligence, in causing their own problems. Beame actually went to the White House to try to get the huge bailout, and sat for hours waiting for Ford, who never appeared. Beame stormed out in a huff, angry that he couldn't get his giant handout.

The New York Daily News intensified the issue by printing this cover page >>

1597498076558.png

The interesting thing about this so similar pair of events 45 years apart, is that they are mirror images of one another. They both seem to be like identical twins. A bunch of reasons are given for why New York City was so broke in 1975, and why it is again, but the usually unspoken reason is the same in both cases >> Too much money being spent on welfare, because of too liberal a policy in paying it out.

I moved out of New York City in 1975, the same year this picture was shown on the newspaper's front page. I moved to Knoxville, Tennessee. It became very clear what was happening. In Knoxville, a rather conservative city, to get welfare $$$, one had to either >>

1. have dependent children......or
2. Be severely disabled

But in New York City, to get welfare $$$, there was just one criteria

1. to have no money (period)

So guess what I discovered one day while walking down the street in downtown Knoxville. A row of buses (I counted 46 of them) filled with black people, and every bus had the words "New York" written on the destination sign in the front of the bus. You got it. Heading to New York to get welfare.

In the late 60s and early 70s, a mass migration took place of poor people from the South, and from the West Indies (mostly Puerto Rico), all with one thing in mind > WELFARE. Of course they weren't looking for jobs. There weren't any. The mid 70's recession was in full force. When I graduated from college in June of 1974, the New York Daily News had another interesting front page message. It said >> UNEMPLOYMENT HIGHEST SINCE 1939.

So the migrants poured in, and the city's budget began hemmoraging relentlessly. The mayor and city council could have easily stopped it, just by establishing a 2 year residency requirement to get welfare. Or they could have established guidelines as in Knoxville, TN (and about every other southern city). They didn't for a particular reason. It was just like the way liberals do things now. FOR VOTES.

Sure, the millions of people streaming into New York represented VOTES for the guys who let them in, and then gave them Billions$$ in welfare. I remember walking the streets of Harlem (large black community) where my college was, and seeing hundreds of young and middle age men hanging around, playing cards, and just generally loafing, during the daytime.

So now we have BeBlasio, heavily invested in New York's welfare fiasco, Billions$$ of dollars spent to keep his VOTE stream flowing, and expecting the American people to foot the bill (a big one), for his political health.

Trump's answer ? Trump, for his part, has signaled opposition to federal bailouts of Democratic states and cities, saying to use taxpayer money to do so, would be unfair to many Americans.

“You look at Illinois, you look at New York, look at California, you know, those three, there’s tremendous debt there, and many others,” the president remarked in an interview with the New York Post.

“It’s not fair to the Republicans because all the states that need help — they’re run by Democrats in every case,” he also said. “Florida is doing phenomenal, Texas is doing phenomenal, the Midwest is, you know, fantastic — very little debt.”

Notice anything about all those states ? They don't give away welfare to anybody, anytime, in any way.

Shades of 1975.

Last edited:
A lot of people reading this were not even born yet in 1975, but I was 29 years old at the time and I remember it well. Just like Deblasio is asking Trump for federal $$$ for New York City currently going broke, and threatening to cut city jobs ( first responders, health care workers, sanitation workers, educators). back in 1975 then mayor Abe Beame did just that. The city's debt then was $10 Billion, and Beame cut police, firefighters, sanitation workers, etc, like never seen before.

The result was lots of crime and lots of fires which burned until they burned themselves out. Huge piles of garbage rotting in the streets, with nobody to remove them. Just like now, Beame appealed to then President Gerald Ford for federal $$$. Just like now, Ford refused to do the bailout, citing New York's carelessness and negligence, in causing their own problems. Beame actually went to the White House to try to get the huge bailout, and sat for hours waiting for Ford, who never appeared. Beame stormed out in a huff, angry that he couldn't get his giant handout.

View attachment 375308

The interesting thing about this so similar pair of events 45 years apart, is that they are mirror images of one another. They both seem to be like identical twins. A bunch of reasons are given for why New York City was so broke in 1975, and why it is again, but the usually unspoken reason is the same in both cases >> Too much money being spent on welfare, because of too liberal a policy in paying it out.

I moved out of New York City in 1975, the same year this picture was shown on the newspaper's front page. I moved to Knoxville, Tennessee. It became very clear what was happening. In Knoxville, a rather conservative city, to get welfare $$$, one had to either >>

2. Be severely disabled

So guess what I discovered one day while walking down the street in downtown Knoxville. A row of buses (I counted 46 of them) filled with black people, and every bus had the words "New York" written on the destination sign in the front of the bus. You got it. Heading to New York to get welfare.

In the late 60s and early 70s, a mass migration took place of poor people from the South, and from the West Indies (mostly Puerto Rico), all with one thing in mind > WELFARE. Of course they weren't looking for jobs. There weren't any. The mid 70's recession was in full force. When I graduated from college in June of 1974, the New York Daily News had another interesting front page message. It said >> UNEMPLOYMENT HIGHEST SINCE 1939.

So the migrants poured in, and the city's budget began hemmoraging relentlessly. The mayor and city council could have easily stopped it, just by establishing a 2 year residency requirement to get welfare. Or they could have established guidelines as in Knoxville, TN (and about every other southern city). They didn't for a particular reason. It was just like the way liberals do things now. FOR VOTES.

Sure, the millions of people streaming into New York represented VOTES for the guys who let them in, and then gave them Billions$$ in welfare. I remember walking the streets of Harlem (large black community) where my college was, and seeing hundreds of young and middle age men hanging around, playing cards, and just generally loafing, during the daytime.

So now we have BeBlasio, heavily invested in New York's welfare fiasco, Billions$$ of dollars spent to keep his VOTE stream flowing, and expecting the American people to foot the bill (a big one), for his political health.

Trump's answer ? Trump, for his part, has signaled opposition to federal bailouts of Democratic states and cities, saying to use taxpayer money to do so, would be unfair to many Americans.

“You look at Illinois, you look at New York, look at California, you know, those three, there’s tremendous debt there, and many others,” the president remarked in an interview with the New York Post.

“It’s not fair to the Republicans because all the states that need help — they’re run by Democrats in every case,” he also said. “Florida is doing phenomenal, Texas is doing phenomenal, the Midwest is, you know, fantastic — very little debt.”

Notice anything about all those states ? They don't give away welfare to anybody, anytime, in any way.

Shades of 1975.

Your welfare is a temporal benefit, how can it be such a problem? Is it that simple, they are just lazy?
Or are the jobs crappy, people cannot meet their NY costs? Are the jobs even there?
Maybe the problem is located within the labor market, where the wealthy (mostly those conservatives that cry about good old USA) source out so many jobs to other countries, thus create the situation that they then blame on welfare.

Your welfare is a temporal benefit, how can it be such a problem? Is it that simple, they are just lazy?
Or are the jobs crappy, people cannot meet their NY costs? Are the jobs even there?
Maybe the problem is located within the labor market, where the wealthy (mostly those conservatives that cry about good old USA) source out so many jobs to other countries, thus create the situation that they then blame on welfare.
You can sugar coat the New York welfare fiasco all you want. You can't change reality. Millions of people flock into New York to get welfare, from where they couldn't get it before. And "temporal" ? What the hell does that mean ? You go on welfare in NYC, and you can be on it for years. It's the bread and butter of New York politicians. Has been that way for 50 years.

Thank goodness we have a president who, (like Ford in 1975) has the sense to not give in to these opportunist scammers. Another reason to vote for Trump in November.

DeNiro was correct in his analysis of Pre-Rudy New York City. Might be the last time he was correct.

DeNiro. Another lost-his-marbles old, has been.

True enough, but DeNiro was spot on correct in his analysis of New York in the 1970's.

I went to college with a man from Queens. He always called to make sure his boys were at the Port Authority so they could fight his way home and stand a chance. Go alone to NY during the 1970's was basically a death sentence.

You can sugar coat the New York welfare fiasco all you want. You can't change reality. Millions of people flock into New York to get welfare, from where they couldn't get it before. And "temporal" ? What the hell does that mean ? You go on welfare in NYC, and you can be on it for years. It's the bread and butter of New York politicians. Has been that way for 50 years.

Thank goodness we have a president who, (like Ford in 1975) has the sense to not give in to these opportunist scammers. Another reason to vote for Trump in November.
Correct me in details but the benefits are not permanent as far as I can see.

And if the wages were appropriate, many people would not need the SNAP.

I work in Florida & see boozed up homeless bums getting $750/month from the state.

California has a budget surplus, the red states have budget deficits.

President Ford caused one of the longest recessions in history lasting from 1973 to 1975!

Last edited:
I work in Florida & see boozed up homeless bums getting $750/month from the state.

President Ford caused one of the longest recessions in history lasting from 1973 to 1975!
Aint no State got a surplus this yr,,,,,,,,dont lie
REPUBLICAN Schwarzenegger from 2003 to 2012 drove California budget into massive $40 billion deficits. Democrat Jerry Brown ran a surplus every year & $30 billion surplus in 2018 & 2019. This year ain't over, but it's better than all red states!

Never trust a dirty ass republican with your money!

Screen-Shot-2017-01-14-at-10.27.47-AM.png

Last edited:

View attachment 375308

2. Be severely disabled

Shades of 1975.

Oh stop with the nonsense-------------welfare was supposed to be nothing but a safety net but it has become a way of life for many LOWLIVES .......who then chose to abuse the system with no desire to leave welfare. Welfare has lead to poverty as those seeking to be on and get more free money have more and more kids that they can't care for and lets face it aren't equal to the kids being produced in families who support themselves. Welfare children do worse in school and worse in life--with higher incidents of crime, drug abuse, birth defects (due to their parents drug and alcohol abuse) and etc.

A woman with an iq of 70 will have kids with iqs around hers and will never be able to become much in life but yet we taxpayers are forced to pay her to pop out one kid after another with no permanent father in sight and then we wonder why her kids fail miserably in life as they are welfare and prison bound. No amount of school funding or special programs are going to change the awful outcome that her kids will be bound for. We will pay her to have 4,5,6,7 or even more kids--------knowing that their future is indeed bleak and worse this idiot having all these kids has no desire to more herself or kids out the welfare projects--she could care a less about her kids outcomes but we keep paying her to have more and more problems for society.

We could wipe out a lot of poverty, crime, prisons, poorly functioning schools, illegal invasions, riots, and more by simply doing welfare reform and putting limits on the time and the number of kids that welfare will pay for--but the dems will never allow this because of their voting blocks and the republicans will never allow this because they fear idiots having abortions.

Aint no State got a surplus this yr,,,,,,,,dont lie
REPUBLICAN Schwarzenegger from 2003 to 2012 drove California budget into massive $40 billion deficits. Democrat Jerry Brown ran a surplus every year & $30 billion surplus in 2018 & 2019. This year ain't over, but it's better than all red states!

Never trust a dirty ass republican with your money!

Screen-Shot-2017-01-14-at-10.27.47-AM.png
Funny your graph doesnt cover this yr.

True enough, but DeNiro was spot on correct in his analysis of New York in the 1970's.

I went to college with a man from Queens. He always called to make sure his boys were at the Port Authority so they could fight his way home and stand a chance. Go alone to NY during the 1970's was basically a death sentence.
In the 1970s, I rode the subway almost every day, into the largest black ghetto in America (Harlem), and walked up big hills to go to school at the City College of New York. I never had a problem. Graduated from there in June 1974.

Well the definition of permanent will sit very well with these migrants going to New York to get welfare. According to your link, they get "Family Assistance" for 60 months. Then they get "Safety Net Assistance" for another 24 months (7 YEARS so far)

After that, your wikipedia link says >> "after which the local government directly pays rent and utilities with a small cash allowance."

Sounds like its ongoing, and even if it had been just for the 7 years time, that's 7 years more than indigent people without dependent children or being severely disabled would get in Knoxville, Tennessee, and thousands of other US cities. No mystery why they move to New York to get welfare. And no mystery why New York keeps going broke. Thanks for the confirmation.

As for wages, since Trump took over, the US median wage has been at his highest level in US history.

That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. It would be pretty hard for Ford to have caused a recession in 1973, when he didn't even begin his presidency until August 9, 1974. The recession was well underway before Ford took over.

It was caused partially by Nixon and his sending military aid to Israel to help them fight the Egyptians and Syrians who had attacked them. It was primarily caused though by the reaction of Saudi Arabia et al Arab countries to the Israeli aid. They enacted the infamous Arab oil embargo in October 1973, in which they stopped selling oil to the US. This sent the US economy into a tailspin.

Also, since I live in Florida, and am retired with a relatively low income from Social Security + a VA pension, I'd sure like to know how somebody is getting $750/month for nothing. Care to elaborate ?

FALSE! California has a well-known budget DEFICIT of $54 Billion. Worse yet, California Democrats are proposing to increase it $100 Billion more, with a state stimulus plan. Pheeew! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Well the definition of permanent will sit very well with these migrants going to New York to get welfare. According to your link, they get "Family Assistance" for 60 months. Then they get "Safety Net Assistance" for another 24 months (7 YEARS so far)

After that, your wikipedia link says >> "after which the local government directly pays rent and utilities with a small cash allowance."

Sounds like its ongoing, and even if it had been just for the 7 years time, that's 7 years more than indigent people without dependent children or being severely disabled would get in Knoxville, Tennessee, and thousands of other US cities. No mystery why they move to New York to get welfare. And no mystery why New York keeps going broke. Thanks for the confirmation.

As for wages, since Trump took over, the US median wage has been at his highest level in US history.
Fox says it is due to the high costs:

And here is the median income. No changes in 20 years:
saupload_median-household-income-in-the-21st-century-nominal-and-real-estimates-200001-thru-201806.png

There is nothing wrong with deficit spending in a crisis. The problem is Republicans increased deficit spending during good times causing crisis!!! REPUBLICANS are the party of PRINT MORE & SPEND MORE, MORE & MORE!!!

Fox says it is due to the high costs:

And here is the median income. No changes in 20 years:
saupload_median-household-income-in-the-21st-century-nominal-and-real-estimates-200001-thru-201806.png
Like I said, spin it, twist it any way you want. You don't have an OPEN TO ANYONE welfare policy, and avoid in-migration of handout seekers, or the budget busting that comes with it. Common sense. New York has brought this on themselves, just as they did in 1975, and have always been doing it. Ho hum.

Forum List

Back