Dear Republicans:

The faces of today's GOP, from the electorate's perspective. The party needs to decide if it's good with this:

sarah-palin-hot-2-265x300.jpg

th

th

th

[

I honestly don't know and frankly don't care. The problem wasn't the GOP, it was Romney and his strategy. My first choice wasn't Romney and personally I'd like to see a new third party.

The Dems and the GOP are basically the same.

As much as I would have preferred Romney one thing that I can say regarding this board is that I never stated that Romney would win...I hoped he would but never made one emphatic post that he would. In fact I called him a piss poor candidate many times.

I can't change the results so time to move on.

And it was only a matter of time.

Everything is going to become Romney's fault, from the people who were singing his praises last week.

Look, everyone knows that I pretty much hate Romney down to his Magic Underwear, but he isn't the whole problem.

The problem is the GOP has alienated minorities, scared the hell out of women and went along with the screwing of working folks.

Obama SHOULD have lost last night by any electoral math you want to go with.

He didn't because despite the bad economy and a lot of racial hostility, the GOP has lost the trust of large sections of the electorate.

No excuses. Obama won now let's hope he keeps his word. On the other hand there's no reason to think he will govern any differently than before.

The country is still overall a conservative nation with a slight lean to the right. Obama tapped the right sources and it paid off.

As a liberal commie, I love to see the RW in shambles.

However, I concede that dissent is the force that makes politics work. The republicans are on a road to becoming a non force in politics and that may not be the best thing overall (I know, weird, huh?).

They have lost 5 out of the last 6 elections and just spent BILLIONS of dollars in attack adds only to lose the general election and ground in the senate. Obama got over 70% of the Latino vote and the black vote came out in higher numbers than projected in favor of Obama. The Polls which so many republican analysts said were wrong, ended up being almost EXACT in estimated demographic turnout and overall vote.

I watched Fox News for a bit last night and I was astonished to see that some of the more influential commentators were making the case that the party needed to go further right. I think that sentiment will be the end of the republican party, Romney didn't lose because he was "Moderate" Mitt, he lost because he was "Conservative" Mitt (probably at gun point), if he ran as he did the Governor of Massachusetts he would have probably won the general election.

This election IMHO is a great case that the conservative elements within the republican party are the seeds of it's own destruction, the most right wing Senate candidates lost their seats (by over 20% in some cases) and the conservative message of a terrible economy brought on by Obama was repudiated by the exit polls. I would use the phrase "soul searching", but I think I will copy Mika and say that the party has been shattered to pieces.

Anyway, that is my opinion.

As a liberal commie, I love to see the RW in shambles.

However, I concede that dissent is the force that makes politics work. The republicans are on a road to becoming a non force in politics and that may not be the best thing overall (I know, weird, huh?).

They have lost 5 out of the last 6 elections and just spent BILLIONS of dollars in attack adds only to lose the general election and ground in the senate. Obama got over 70% of the Latino vote and the black vote came out in higher numbers than projected in favor of Obama. The Polls which so many republican analysts said were wrong, ended up being almost EXACT in estimated demographic turnout and overall vote.

I watched Fox News for a bit last night and I was astonished to see that some of the more influential commentators were making the case that the party needed to go further right. I think that sentiment will be the end of the republican party, Romney didn't lose because he was "Moderate" Mitt, he lost because he was "Conservative" Mitt (probably at gun point), if he ran as he did the Governor of Massachusetts he would have probably won the general election.

This election IMHO is a great case that the conservative elements within the republican party are the seeds of it's own destruction, the most right wing Senate candidates lost their seats (by over 20% in some cases) and the conservative message of a terrible economy brought on by Obama was repudiated by the exit polls. I would use the phrase "soul searching", but I think I will copy Mika and say that the party has been shattered to pieces.

Anyway, that is my opinion.

On the macro level, it seems pretty clear: The party is either going to look in the mirror and make changes to its approach, or it is not. Judging from many of the responses to this thread, many in the party don't see that need. Not surprising. Hey, it's their call.

And I agree: We need two strong, viable parties. Right now, that just isn't the case. This was an easy win at 8% unemployment, and no spin can wipe that away.

Dear Mac:

I didn't read beyond your second sentence because that's where your credibility went out the window.

"And it wasn't even close." In '08 it wasn't even close, a 7 point margin. Have you looked at the numbers thus far in this election?

You just lost to a community organizer with unemployment hovering around eight freakin' percent. And it wasn't even close. Since there are really no words to describe the scope of your epic electoral failure, let's just focus on the future. I have three questions:

First, are your ready to admit that the same loons who have provided your party with so much energy over the last three years are the same people who are most responsible for this disaster? Or are you going to double down on your lunatics in the next election cycle?

Second, are you ready to admit that the country's demographics are changing rapidly and that a large part of your failure was/is your stubborn refusal to address those changes? Face it, America is becoming more government-centric, more government-dependent, right before your very eyes. If you don't like that fact, are you going to change hearts and minds or are you going to keep screaming "Marxist communist Kenyan" hoping that will work?

Third, are you ready to admit that the days and philosophies of Gordon Gekko simply no longer apply, and perhaps never should have? That we should encourage and celebrate excellence and achievement while still keeping our focus on a flourishing middle class, even if that means the wealthiest of us need to put a little more in the kitty? Or are you going to simplistically say "no" to all taxes without considering the long-term ramifications?

I'd love some straight answers to those questions, but frankly I'm not holding my breath.

the last 2 elections they have picked the 2 worst Candidates available......its on them....Obama was wide open to be beat because of what you said in your first Sentence....

You just lost to a community organizer with unemployment hovering around eight freakin' percent. And it wasn't even close. Since there are really no words to describe the scope of your epic electoral failure, let's just focus on the future. I have three questions:

First, are your ready to admit that the same loons who have provided your party with so much energy over the last three years are the same people who are most responsible for this disaster? Or are you going to double down on your lunatics in the next election cycle?

Second, are you ready to admit that the country's demographics are changing rapidly and that a large part of your failure was/is your stubborn refusal to address those changes? Face it, America is becoming more government-centric, more government-dependent, right before your very eyes. If you don't like that fact, are you going to change hearts and minds or are you going to keep screaming "Marxist communist Kenyan" hoping that will work?

Third, are you ready to admit that the days and philosophies of Gordon Gekko simply no longer apply, and perhaps never should have? That we should encourage and celebrate excellence and achievement while still keeping our focus on a flourishing middle class, even if that means the wealthiest of us need to put a little more in the kitty? Or are you going to simplistically say "no" to all taxes without considering the long-term ramifications?

I'd love some straight answers to those questions, but frankly I'm not holding my breath.

the popular vote was close mac

edit to add: Obama won 50% of the popular vote which means 50% did not want him.

Slim Popular Vote Leans Obama, Numbers Lag Behind 2008 Win « CBS DC

and a better Candidate than Romney would have won....

For those that think the popular vote was close:

You need to keep in mind the circumstances, for the ELECTION, Obama is in a place that few presidential candidates have ever been running for a second term.

Obama and FDR are the ONLY candidates in 220+ years to win a second term with +50% margin.

That is a big win, no matter what you think.

You need to keep in mind the circumstances, for the ELECTION, Obama is in a place that few presidential candidates have ever been running for a second term.

Obama and FDR are the ONLY candidates in 220+ years to win a second term with +50% margin.

I think you mean the only Democratic candidates, which is probably true.

Reagan, Nixon, Ike all won second terms with margins over 50%.

I think what I find a bit distubring is Obama got 8 million votes less than he got in 2008, and Romney got about 2 million votes less than McCain got in 2008.

In short, a lot of people have just kind of given up. Or maybe they concluded if they weren't "lucky" enough to be in a swing state, it wasn't worth the effort.

the popular vote was close mac

edit to add: Obama won 50% of the popular vote which means 50% did not want him.

Slim Popular Vote Leans Obama, Numbers Lag Behind 2008 Win « CBS DC

So were the Margins in most of the Swing states. Anyone claiming it "wasn't even close" is out of their fucking mind. Last night was one of the Closest races in History.

Last edited:

I think you mean the only Democratic candidates, which is probably true.

Reagan, Nixon, Ike all won second terms with margins over 50%.

I think what I find a bit distubring is Obama got 8 million votes less than he got in 2008, and Romney got about 2 million votes less than McCain got in 2008.

In short, a lot of people have just kind of given up. Or maybe they concluded if they weren't "lucky" enough to be in a swing state, it wasn't worth the effort.

Bush also took over 50% his second time around.

can you blame people for not showing up. For weeks the Media has been telling us that basically if you didn't live in Ohio, or one of the other real close swing states. You didn't matter, and you know what they were right.

Short answer, no, no and no. I don't sell out to a community agitator elected by those incapbale of understanding what they just voted for. As I posted here countless times... Never underestimate the stupidity of the American voter...they just proved me right.

I see you waited until after the elction to come out of the closet. Enjoy the gloating. I had a higher opinon of you that I guess I misplaced. Your post is beneath you.

At his core, he is a complete pussy and a hypocrite.

Obama didn't win...we as Americans have lost. A sad and dangerous day indeed.

what? then why is he still in the white house. Stop saying stupid shit.

Seems our friend here pretended to be here on a "fact finding mission" but has now shown his true colors. I could easily present him with three replies...none of which he will like.

Maybe he ought to be questioning the intelligence of some, not all of those that voted and whether they are informed enough to realize what they have now done.

Anyway I have the devastation here in NJ to deal with so for the record...no one won it's just another day.

It's as if there was no election since all we will get is 4 more years of gridlock.

I'd love to see your answers. It doesn't matter if I like them. What matters is whether the general electorate will like them.

And by the way gang, my questions are honest and sincere.

I'm not spiking the ball, since I don't care for Obama. I came as close to winning as I'm gonna be able to: neither party controls the White House, House and Senate, that's as good as it gets for me.

Just seems to me these are three questions the GOP needs to ask itself going forward. If you want to avoid honest introspection, that's your call.

Can't rep him anymore... Someone please do so... Multiple times.

Ah.... But did he win because he was so good, or because Willard was shittier?

My vote was Willard was shittier.

At his core, he is a complete pussy and a hypocrite.

Obama didn't win...we as Americans have lost. A sad and dangerous day indeed.

what? then why is he still in the white house. Stop saying stupid shit.
I don't think that was stupid... I actually agree with him. Of course this is also true if Willard would have won:

Willard didn't win...we as Americans have lost. A sad and dangerous day indeed.

From the responses I've seen since Wednesday, looks like the answers to these questions for most of the GOP are "no", "no" and "no".

Okay, double down, good luck with that.

From 2012:

That from 2012...great insight really.

Yeah... I fucked that up that last post too...

Should have read:

I don't think that was stupid... I actually agree with him. Of course this is also true if Willard would have won:

Willard won...we as Americans have lost. A sad and dangerous day indeed.

I HATE that man.

Forum List

Back