dead at 88, 1st elected in 1973(Nixon years), Alaska GOP Rep Don Young was longest serving member of Congress ever,once held knife to Boehner's throat

he was corrupt, that's certain!

FOMOeWvVIAATko6

In the 90's, Don Young brought a bill to the floor of the House for the self determination of Puerto Rico, offering all three options of remaining a commonwealth, becoming a state, or becoming independent.

he loved Puerto Rico because he loved Alaska

After living in Alaska from 1959, Don Young ironically died in the state in which he grew up- California.

Don Young entered the House the same year Biden first entered the Senate.

Pelosi on the death of Alaska Rep. Don Young, Dean of the House: “When he became Dean of the House…Don said: ‘I love this body. I believe in this body. My heart is in the House.’…his reverence and devotion to the House shone through in everything that he did.”

FONhVaHWUAMVNj8

FONhVaRXMAAZiiP

Undefeatable politicians like Don Young are fascinating. Young represented Alaska through 77% of its history; his newest primary opponent was the grandson of the man he originally unseated in 1973.

Last edited:
He famously wielded the pubic bone of a walrus on the House floor during debate once...trying to find a pic of it

FOLhJXyXEAUCKj0

Quite the statement from DCCC Chair Sean Patrick Maloney on Don Young...also one of the strongest House progressives, Raul Grijalva, is paying his respects

“Yes, there were many things wrong with Don, but you just couldn’t help but like him anyway.”

FON7mwMXsAQno2E

Don Young voted for Biden’s Infrastructure Bill. I’m sure Trump will make a spiteful press release about this while expressing his “condolences.” I’m calling it!!

Don Young was a fighter. I disagree with just about everything he ever did or said but he was a fierce lion for his beliefs and for his state. We should all hope to be as dogged and principled as he was.

Forum List

Back