Darkness

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Depictions of darkness and evil in art, comic books, literature, music, and movies signify a social evaluation of anti-social behaviors, hysteria, anarchy, mischief, and enigma.

We think of darkness in terms of what we can see and understand (and predict) and the shadow world of what we can not see or predict. Darkness is a 'face' of the reality of asburdism and the unnatural existence of chaotic beings and ideas (such as the Jabberwocky).

We should not tempt fate regarding danger and the idea of 'experimenting' with courage, so darkness is usually described as something that should be avoided, if not completely ignored.

There seems to be (IMO) to sides to darkness --- malice and mischief.

Malice describes the breach in trust between people, while mischief signifies a turbulence in the analysis of social norm reliability. Murderers exhibit malice, while thieves may exhibit mischief, even though they both sin and are therefore 'playing' with darkness...

I'm interested in coordinating popular art with ideas in religious texts (mostly the Christian Bible) regarding the 'appearance' of darkness rather than the pure presence of darkness (since appearance is more 'tangible' when darkness is simply too enigmatic to evaluate the quality of its presence).

Maybe the best way to evaluate darkness is through the lens of personal experience and self-reflection, which is why the Book of Job is so helpful and why I like making 'sculptured Mad Libs' using Job-esque mock-dialogues about 'paranoia Golems.'

What do you think is Job's final analysis of darkness?

====

JOB: Satan frustrated me when he suggested that human beings are hypnotized by 'dolls.'
GOD: Dolls are figurines used to praise the symmetry and charm of the human body, so why are you worried?
JOB: Am I too 'child-like' in my 'idealistic' fascination with inanimate objects which resemble/praise life?
GOD: There's nothing wrong with praising life...
JOB: Why not obsess over a fancy house or dress? Why a doll?
GOD: A doll can be a totem of comfort or a temptation for vanity --- pure and simple.
JOB: I must want to hold a 'Golem' of life in my hands (literally).
GOD: That's why we have the Christian crucifix...
JOB: What's the difference then between a doll and a water-gun from Toys 'R Us?
GOD: A doll resembles a full person, while a toy-gun represents one 'face' of human activity.
JOB: Why do some dollmakers make figurines of strange-looking humans?
GOD: People are curious about the 'appearance' of ugliness.
JOB: Is humanity seeking to be optimistic about the 'presence' of chaos?
GOD: Yes, and it's why we celebrate films such as Godzilla and Robots.
JOB: I must want to 'wrestle' with darkness.
GOD: You're curious about your own strength and potential but careless about your limits...
JOB: I'm somewhat vain about freedom and education.
GOD: Negotiating freedom and education is the true challenge of prudent and beneficial governance.

====

hq.png

even in bright light, darkness is not being able to see what you should, or what is obvious

closing your eyes to what is right in front of your nose

Law

Seeing is certainly believing, and when our expectations are violated, we feel a need to rationalize danger. Why does Hollywood glamorize/romanticize bank robbery (e.g., Bonnie and Clyde, Bloody Mama, etc.)? Social dissatisfaction with politics, culture, federalism (etc.) in times of anxiety or in times of profiteerism (e.g., Gold Rush, Great Depression, etc.) makes piracy and theft almost 'enticing.'

We should think about the 'presence' of darkness then in terms of the conceptualization of law (and civics in general!).

For example, what if reoriented the God-Job dialogue to talk about what Job thinks about temptation (rather than frustration or retaliation)?

====

JOB: Sometimes the law seems very tedious...
GOD: The law is meant to make you feel safe about social expectations.
JOB: Maybe the law is simply a 'medical crutch' to 'anaesthetize' my urge to rebel...
GOD: If everyone indulged in their urge to rebel, then no one would be safe from selfishness.
JOB: Oh, so you'd have a species of anarchists.
GOD: Exactly!
JOB: Why is bank robbery (theft) sometimes considered 'romantic'?
GOD: Federalism/banking requires diligence and labor, and that can cause fatigue and even induce boredom.
JOB: Are you saying crime is sometimes 'exciting' and therefore an 'escape' from boredom?
GOD: Escapism is always temporary and does not deal with the long-term problem of angst.
JOB: Is 'angst' an unavoidable feeling?
GOD: Angst is simply evidence that human beings are sensitive to the world around them...
JOB: Hollywood makes many films about glorified American bank robbers.
GOD: People need to feel like their weariness with civics maintenance is respected (in public forums).
JOB: Oh, sort of like comedians?
GOD: Exactly!
JOB: I see, so rebelliousness can be a sign of immature rage/wrath, but the desire to do mischief requires compassion?
GOD: Yes, every human being feels the 'temptation' to do mischief, so legal systems need to be compassionate and parental.
JOB: Maybe there is a real 'demon' of civics labor then...
GOD: Why else would Hollywood make films such as Shortcut to Happiness and Monster-In-Law?

====

bmp.jpg

The Dark Grapes

====

GOD: Adam and Eve are too curious about the flesh...
SATAN: They're simply 'playful.'
GOD: Look, playfulness/enthusiasm is fine, but speculation about temptation is complex.
SATAN: Eve likes to dance in the rain!
GOD: There's nothing wrong with euphoria or revelling in nature, but what about humility?
SATAN: Don't you see that Adam likes the intrigue of metaphysics exploration?
GOD: Well, such curiosity might lead humanity towards filth and fury.
SATAN: Do you oppose the construction of nature-cherishing treehouses?
GOD: Hey, if you want to live high up in a tree, go ahead, but mind your fear of loitering.
SATAN: Maybe Adam wants to see if Eve will follow him to hell...
GOD: Maybe Eve wants to see if Adam will stop her!
SATAN: While that's plausible, men are not always willing to 'entertain' the female heart.
GOD: I think Eve should knit Adam a sweater!
SATAN: If darkness can be avoided with simple gestures/gifts, then praise Starbucks...
GOD: A 'cholesterol culture' (i.e., Burger King) shadows sensitivity to homeostasis.
SATAN: In that case, vitality-themed art can cure 'bored housewives.'

====

shulk.jpg

Sloth

Here's a dialogue between Darth Vader (the complex empire-hero from the Star Wars space-opera) and Karna (the tragic anti-hero from the Indian epic Mahabharata) about the basic nature of mental activity as it relates to war of course.

====

VADER: Creativity is a blessing but people never regard fear or pain with prayers.
KARNA: Creativity is happiness and people never welcome fear or pain because it leads to sadness.
VADER: Prayers are not only for happiness; they can also be for concentration...
KARNA: There's nothing wrong with 'abstract meditation,' but humility leads us to seek simple happiness.
VADER: It's not that easy to remain humble; vanity is everywhere.
KARNA: Vanity is a hurdle, but happiness comes from finding simple truths!
VADER: There are very few simple truths; life is complicated by death.
KARNA: Death and dying are part of the process of the universe, but we should seek joy.
VADER: Joy is subjective and considered a fortune...
KARNA: There's nothing wrong with qualifying fortune as a state of triumph.
VADER: Yes, but sometimes 'victory' comes only through hardship or even war.
KARNA: Darkness is the neglect of comforts.
VADER: The basic opportunity to 'neglect' comfort implies bestowed wealth.
KARNA: Original sin may come from a natural pool of instinctual laziness.

====

duet2.jpg

Forum List

Back