Dallas: Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress & a Bell P-63 Kingcobra collided & crashed with each other. It's unclear how many people were on board both planes

Negative.....At least not passenger flights.

I disagree. I have time flying one and they are not a problem. The Collings Foundation had been warned about their poor maintenance on their B-17 but they ignored us. And sadly people died as a result, but the overwhelming majority of vintage aircraft crashes are pilot error.

It is not even close.

I disagree. I have time flying one and they are not a problem. The Collings Foundation had been warned about their poor maintenance on their B-17 but they ignored us. And sadly people died as a result, but the overwhelming majority of vintage aircraft crashes are pilot error.

It is not even close.
It does not matter who's fault it is, there is only a certain number left.

Last edited:
Dammit! Not a lot of those old birds in flying condition anymore, and there they go wrecking them. Hope the pilots were okay, but damn.
It looks like both of them crashed and burned. If the B-17 was full, there could be 20+ fatalities :(

I once rode in a B-17 at the EAA Airventure in Osh Kosh, WI. There were about a dozen paying riders plus a crew of two.

I was told by a pilot many years ago that these WWII bombers ran on leaded fuel and it was increasingly hard to find. I've always wondered if they converted the fuel systems on these aircraft or not. That's a damn shame, but the air cobra clearly did not see the B-17 flying until it was too late. This was the result of pilot error, not an aircraft falling apart mid flight. No reason to ground these aircraft. It's a shame to lose the aircraft, but greater loss is the people who fly and work on them. RIP.

There are over 40 flying in the USA today, another ten or so worldwide. The population of them is fine. Almost all of the historic ones are well preserved.

Wrong.. There are only 40 left in the world, with only 8 being airworthy.

Wrong.. There are only 40 left in the world, with only 8 being airworthy.

Actually, we are both wrong. There are 45 airframes that are complete, worldwide, depending on the year between 7 and 9 are airworthy.

Forum List

Back