Cruz defends role in electoral vote objections: Had ‘nothing to do’ with Capitol riots

For all those who might disagree with Cruz, there is no politician in North America, save for probably Cruz; who I would feel unable to at least keep par with in a debate. I don't even agree with his politics, though he's come around more in my eyes as a Constitutionalist than a far-right conservative. If there is any distinction there.

I also think he pissed off many in government with his push for two term limits in the Senate.

Sen. Ted Cruz on Thursday defended his decision to challenge the Electoral College certification process, pushing back against some of his colleagues who have accused him of inciting Wednesday's deadly riots at the U.S. Capitol by casting doubt on the 2020 election.

"What I was doing is debating on the floor of the Senate election integrity," Cruz said during an interview with KXAS-TV, an NBC affiliate in Fort Worth, Texas. "That has nothing to do with this criminal terrorist assault, which was wrong and needs to be prosecuted. It's exactly the opposite. What I was doing is how you're supposed to resolve issues in this country."

Cruz's comments came one day after a rally intended to support President Trump descended into a mob that stormed the Capitol during the certification of the Electoral College vote, forcing lawmakers, staff and reporters to shelter in place in both the House and Senate. One woman was shot and later died, and three other individuals died from "medical emergencies."

A Capitol Police officer also died Thursday night after sustaining injuries during the riots
I think Cruz believed he would be able to get nominated in 2024 by appealing to Trump supporters. However, after Trump's attempt at insurrection, that support may not exist in 2024. As events turned out, Cruz and the rest of the republicans who attempted to hijack the election made a big mistake but changing horses in the middle of the stream would have probably been worse.

Forum List

Back