COVID 19 - You may already have natural immunity

Yes, as a matter of fact, that you do not die from the common cold DOES mean you have immunity.
That is exactly what immunity means, that you have only a short term of discomfort.
Again, go back and read about how many American native and Polynesian tribes were nearly wiped out by the common cold, until they developed the same immunity we have.

All people, including the immune, get infected, and all will have some symptoms.
It is impossible to prevent infection entirely, and degree of symptoms varies.
The common cold is a deadly disease we do not die from because our immunity prevents it from killing us.
All you have to do is see what happens when you have no immunity, like the bubble boy.
Then a cold would be fatal.

You should really be looking this the other way around.
How could any virus no be fatal unless you have immunity?
All viruses get into human cells and reproduce, killing the human cell in the process.
Clearly that should always be fatal if the immune system is not well tuned.
It is just that we do not have to first catch a cold to become immune because we are born with the immunity in our DNA.
Sorry. Didn't sell me.

Oh I have, many times, and quoted/linked it many times.
People who think immunity mean you don't get infected, just do not know what it means.
So you believe that the definition of immunity is that you don't die.

Mine was a light case, and I am in really good shape for my age. My worst of it was sitting, shivering and coughing in ski in / ski out 10,000 feet up on Mount Crested Butte, CO too weak to put on skis. I got over it within a week after I got back to 230 ft elevation here in Jackson, TN, with nothing but some weakness for a while and an occasional cough that I still have. No biggy. We're planning another ski trip now. Thinking of driving, instead of flying. I started back to the gym night before last.
Can I ask you this.....how often have you had the flu bug in the last several years and how bad do you get the common cold? Basically how do you do with other viral infections.

Can I ask you this.....how often have you had the flu bug in the last several years and how bad do you get the common cold? Basically how do you do with other viral infections.
I have been taking the Flu Shot most of my adult life and haven't had flu in a long time. I get the occasional light cold, but nothing to write home about. I usually, kind of get a pass. I always thought it possibly related to all the shots I got in the military and staying active and in reasonably decent shape. That and the fact that I take care of myself, dressing to moderate my temperature in the cold months. A lot of people don't dress for the weather, thinking they won't be out long enough to matter, and they are tough, but it does matter.

So you believe that the definition of immunity is that you don't die.

Nothing to do with belief.
That simply is what "immunity" means in medicine.
That your immune system is versed at recognizing and attacking a pathogen.
But that still takes a few days and you are going to get sniffles or even a fever.
Those symptoms are not from the pathogen, but are part of the methods the immune system uses.
For example, a fever is used because it kills most viruses.
You immune system uses techniques, and they take time.
They are never instantaneous or without some discomfort.
Immunity is not magic and can't prevent an infection.

Nothing to do with belief.
That simply is what "immunity" means in medicine.
That your immune system is versed at recognizing and attacking a pathogen.
But that still takes a few days and you are going to get sniffles or even a fever.
Those symptoms are not from the pathogen, but are part of the methods the immune system uses.
For example, a fever is used because it kills most viruses.
You immune system uses techniques, and they take time.
They are never instantaneous or without some discomfort.
Immunity is not magic and can't prevent an infection.
Many times I've been around people with a cold or flu and i haven't caught it.
Neither have I felt "some discomfort".
If that's not immunity then what do you call it?

Many times I've been around people with a cold or flu and i haven't caught it.
Neither have I felt "some discomfort".
If that's not immunity then what do you call it?

The degree of immunity varies.
But you also could simply have been lucky.
Some people have such strong immunity that they are totally asymptomatic.
But then some other people who have been vaccinated and have immunity, have still been infected and died.
But technically they still had immunity even though it killed them.

Forum List

Back