Country Music

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
p-1-pbs-stream-watch-ken-burns-country-music-documentary-online.jpg

I’ve watched the first two 2 hour segments on PBS and will declare them to be the most riveting, informative, and enjoyable documentaries I’ve ever seen on that channel.

And without any pleas for pledges.

The first 2 episodes are available online and I’m sure the others will follow.

I’ve got to make some comments on what I’ve seen so far.

Those people in the late 20s and 30s in rural America were tough. You see how and where they lived and I know, without a doubt, I could not have survived it. And the women were heroically amazing.

One tends to hear the music and not really pay attention to the words.

The hills were alive with wildflowers
And I was as wild, even wilder than they
For at least I could run, they just died in the sun
And I refused to just wither in place

The artsy types can carry on all they want about classic poets but one has but to listen to some of the lyrics created by those so-called uneducated peasants to find true beauty.

The towns and cities were segregated. But rural Americans, whites and the descendants of slaves, lived side-by-side and their children played and worked together. They shared their customs and blacks had a big impact on country music – just as had all the other immigrant groups who came to that land.

Although I was born in 1929 and my father was deeply into jazz, big band, swing, and classical, I got my taste of country listening to the Grand Ole Opry on the radio. I also worked my butt off on my paper route so I could make it to the big movie theater on Saturday mornings to watch the guys in white hats go after the evil doers in black ones. Orvon Grover Autry, Leonard Slye, And, of course, Flash Gordon fighting to save earth from Ming the Merciless.

Oh yeah, we had ads.

Buster Brown with his good dog Tyge.

Maybe Thom Mcan shoes.

The local malt shop.

I’ve got the 3rd on DVR and will get the remaining as they show.

I highly recommend them to you. It makes no difference whether or not you like the music, the story is riveting. An America every young person needs to see.

I’ve watched the first two 2 hour segments on PBS and will declare them to be the most riveting, informative, and enjoyable documentaries I’ve ever seen on that channel.

Those people in the late 20s and 30s in rural America were tough. You see how and where they lived and I know, without a doubt, I could not have survived it. And the women were heroically amazing.

The artsy types can carry on all they want about classic poets but one has but to listen to some of the lyrics created by those so-called uneducated peasants to find true beauty.

The towns and cities were segregated. But rural Americans, whites and the descendants of slaves, lived side-by-side and their children played and worked together. They shared their customs and blacks had a big impact on country music – just as had all the other immigrant groups who came to that land.

Although I was born in 1929 and my father was deeply into jazz, big band, swing, and classical, I got my taste of country listening to the Grand Ole Opry on the radio. I also worked my butt off on my paper route so I could make it to the big movie theater on Saturday mornings to watch the guys in white hats go after the evil doers in black ones. Orvon Grover Autry, Leonard Slye, And, of course, Flash Gordon fighting to save earth from Ming the Merciless.

Oh yeah, we had ads.

Maybe Thom Mcan shoes.

The local malt shop.

I highly recommend them to you. It makes no difference whether or not you like the music, the story is riveting. An America every young person needs to see.
I agree. Ken Burns is great but my favorite was his Civil war documentary. My friend told me his Vietnam doc. was also great.

Oh yeah, we had ads.

Maybe Thom Mcan shoes.

The local malt shop.

Lined up on the DVR, thx.
Watched the Ken Burns thing at the Ryman, it was good too.

It is indeed a good popular history of the country music genre, and by extension the beginnings of rock n roll. Chuck Berry stole a lot from Bob Wills, and also Bill Haley ripped off Hank William's Move It On Over, the latter I learned on the last episode, from Hank Williams Jr. discussing his Dad. The stories on the Maddox family were enlightening as well; a lot of future stars copied their stuff, and I also liked the stories about Gene Autry, a personal favorite of mine when I was a kid.

Oh yeah, we had ads.

Maybe Thom Mcan shoes.

The local malt shop.

I agree. Ken Burns is great but my favorite was his Civil war documentary. My friend told me his Vietnam doc. was also great.
He also did a seven-part series on WWII called "The War".

Any documentary by Ken Burns is usually first rate.

I've spent the last couple of evenings watching his series on the roots of Country/Hillbilly music and have been fascinated by the people and the music of that era. .... :cool:

I've spent the last couple of evenings watching his series on the roots of Country/Hillbilly music and have been fascinated by the people and the music of that era. .... :cool:
Except the baseball one. Baseball is my game and really looked forward to it. My God, he destroyed it. Every 10 minutes I’m hearing about blacks being oppressed.

Baseball did more to breakdown racial barriers than any other institution.

I thought the Ken Burn's series on the Vietnam War and the political situation of that era was dealt with fairly even handedly, and is my favorite after his enthralling series on the Civil War. ... :cool:

This is the only Burns film I like so far. He isn't going to bite the hand that feeds him, the PBS mafia, in any obvious way. I can picture him sweating bullets as he had to chose between reporting all the facts and having to please the PC left wing versions of 'History', and deciding to just ignore many of the facts, which he did in both his Viet Nam and Civil War series, opting for some lite version of dissembling about ' both sides having flaws n stuff' but focusing of course on the ones that appealed to the left wing fantasies the most.

Last edited:

Except the baseball one. Baseball is my game and really looked forward to it. My God, he destroyed it. Every 10 minutes I’m hearing about blacks being oppressed.

Baseball did more to breakdown racial barriers than any other institution.

I didn't last 5 minutes trying to watch that one.

Oh yeah, we had ads.

Maybe Thom Mcan shoes.

The local malt shop.

You were born in 1929!? Holy fuckin shit!

I agree, I watched two hours of it last night. Burns did a fantastic job. It's not just songs about momma, trains and gettin drunk, it's a rich heritage of colorful characters who pretty much defined American culture in the early 20th century.

When I grew up most of the parents listen to Country and Western music.

But all of us kids listen to Rock n Roll, and wouldn't be caught dead listening to Country music.

As I've gotten older, I now realize how much great old style C&W I missed out hearing back in my youth. ... :cool:

Oh yeah, we had ads.

Maybe Thom Mcan shoes.

The local malt shop.

You were born in 1929!? Holy fuckin shit!

Oops! Typo. 1939.

The 3rd installment about Hank Williams was really interesting.
So much fame destroyed by moral and mental weakness.

Oh yeah, we had ads.

Maybe Thom Mcan shoes.

The local malt shop.

IM shocked

something I actually wanna watch on TV
Lemme guess Ken burns The jazz doc was pretty good

Out of curiosity, I compared the lyrics of some modern C&W tunes to the older ones.

No comparison whatsoever!

The old ones hit you in the guy and get right down to where you live.

"(Last Night) I Heard You Crying In Your Sleep"

I know you tried your best to love me
You smiled when your heart told you to weep
You tried to pretend that you were happy
But last night I heard you crying in your sleep
You gave the best years of your life dear
And each precious vow you tried to keep
I love you so much I want you happy
Your heart is yearning for an old love
It hurts me to know you are unhappy