Could One use weed as an emergency pain killer is some out of hospital surgery?

Dayton3

Gold Member
May 3, 2009
I had a thread I think on this forum about what surgical procedures could be conducted by a non surgeon in a non medical setting. I couldn't find that thread but I wanted to ask this:

Could a surgical procedure be performed in such a setting and use weed as a pain killer?

I dunno, but it sounds like a terrible idea.

I had a thread I think on this forum about what surgical procedures could be conducted by a non surgeon in a non medical setting. I couldn't find that thread but I wanted to ask this:

Could a surgical procedure be performed in such a setting and use weed as a pain killer?
120 proof whiskey and biting a bullet would probably work better.

120 proof whiskey and biting a bullet would probably work better.

And you could use the whiskey for sterilization(knife and wound site).

I remember a surgeon who was treating a woman who had been in a car accident on the way to the airport in Hong Kong and had a collapsed lung while aboard the 747.

The surgeon made the cut in her lower chest, and pushed through a wire hangar to get the chest cavity open and release the air accumulating there. He sterilized the hanger with whiskey and when he was finished drank the rest in a massive toast.

She recovered just fine.

Not on me. I want intravenous hardcore drugs, by people that are supposed to know how to dispense them, if somebody has to cut on me. I can get high some other time.

Not on me. I want intravenous hardcore drugs, by people that are supposed to know how to dispense them, if somebody has to cut on me. I can get high some other time.
I was thinking of an emergency situation. Could weed take at least some of the most intense pain off?

Maybe some good Afghan hash.

I was thinking of an emergency situation. Could weed take at least some of the most intense pain off?
Certainly would not be first choice. When I go to the back country, I take some Hydros with me, cause you really never know. Doctors pass them out like peanuts. I have never finished a script, even after serious surgery followed by months of serious physical therapy, but I never throw pain meds away. I could seriously screw up and real pain killers might come handy. Pot? Not so much.

Certainly would not be first choice. When I go to the back country, I take some Hydros with me, cause you really never know. Doctors pass them out like peanuts. I have never finished a script, even after serious surgery followed by months of serious physical therapy, but I never throw pain meds away. I could seriously screw up and real pain killers might come handy. Pot? Not so much.

I have serious autoimmune issues at times, so I know these things--because our medical establishment is a mess, we swing in terrible extremes. So many many years ago you could barely get pain meds; then they did pass them out like candy because the idea was treat pain aggressively; then too many people were hooked on the pills so now they have pulled way, way back again.

It's a hot mess. I have about zero trust left in any of it, which is another story.

As to the OP: I was shocked that a woman got on an airplane after a car accident at first....but I guess you would if you thought you were ok. You wouldn't want to miss your flight. But man. A collapsed lung on a flight! ugh

I have serious autoimmune issues at times, so I know these things--because our medical establishment is a mess, we swing in terrible extremes. So many many years ago you could barely get pain meds; then they did pass them out like candy because the idea was treat pain aggressively; then too many people were hooked on the pills so now they have pulled way, way back again.

It's a hot mess. I have about zero trust left in any of it, which is another story.

As to the OP: I was shocked that a woman got on an airplane after a car accident at first....but I guess you would if you thought you were ok. You wouldn't want to miss your flight. But man. A collapsed lung on a flight! ugh
She was riding on the back of her boyfriends motorcycle in Hong Kong when someone opened a car door in their path and she was thrown off.

The only obvious injury was to her arm and she asked a stewardess for some help for it. The two doctors (the ones who later operated on her), examined her and decided that even if her arm was broken she should be able to contain with the flight.

Short of just superficial stitches, no. For any real kind of surgery to any significant degree, you'd need opium or morphine, though there have been a few interesting successes tried using acupuncture.

She was riding on the back of her boyfriends motorcycle in Hong Kong when someone opened a car door in their path and she was thrown off.

The only obvious injury was to her arm and she asked a stewardess for some help for it. The two doctors (the ones who later operated on her), examined her and decided that even if her arm was broken she should be able to contain with the flight.

What in the world. Just when you think you've heard it all.

I would think for that situation, copious amounts of locally applied toothache medicine would be about the only thing other than proper drugs that might work some since most of the pain receptors are closer to the surface of your body.

Of course it wouldn't be a "first choice". Conducting surgery in primitive conditions wouldn't be a "first choice" either.
No, but a situation, say a collapse lung can be dealt with, like battlefield techniques less painful and immediately dangerous than the collapse lung itself and the effects the collapse would cause on the body itself. Not pretty and not for the squeamish, but doable.

Forum List

Back