Corporal punishment in schools should be abolished

I hear there is research that says corporal punishment lowers the IQ of children. Well the red states do want their kids to be dull followers. I am happy to live in a state that outlaw this barbarism.

I "hear" there is research that says T-Rexs were capable of playing the guitar.

People aren't saying that kids should be punched in the face for not doing their homework, or even returning to the kind of comparatively barbaric corporal punishment you were likely to encounter when I was at school. But pain is an awfully effective means of capturing someone's attention, and it leaves a lasting reminder. Furthermore, the way the 'injuries' students had sustained were presented (as if they'd been taken by a coronor) was overly sensationalised (and most likely doctored) to make people relate to the abuses Abu Ghraib prison became notorious for when they saw the physical consequences of corporal punishment.

I hear there is research that says corporal punishment lowers the IQ of children. Well the red states do want their kids to be dull followers. I am happy to live in a state that outlaw this barbarism.

Please link to this research so we can all laugh at you..

Hey, that's as effective a communication method as inflicting pain. Brilliant.

Many high school dropout were undisciplined never spanked that research doesn't seem to fit reality.
Do you think gang members have a hi IQ?

Strictly as empirical observation I'd guess that gangers, at least those who voluntarily went that way (as distinguished from those whose culture gives them no other avenue) were probably beaten and otherwise abused BIG time.

Children Who Are Spanked Have Lower IQs New Research Finds

LOL

First of all "the study" only used 1500 kids. Hardly a represntative group.

Second of all, there was a 5 point difference in one group and a 2.5 point difference in another group.

Thirdly, the study didn't even TRY to control other factors so that spanking was likely the only difference in their upbringing. They simply tested 1500 kids then tested them again later.

what a bogus "study"

Children Who Are Spanked Have Lower IQs New Research Finds
What we don't get from this study,(it's a 5 year study) is a list of how many of those children, came from 1 parent homes, how many suffered the loss of a family member, how many relocated, how many parents lost their job, and a number of other reasons why someone's IQ could be affected.

That is a major problem with studies, they ask one specific question, or a good study(if you can call it that) asks maybe 3 questions. To have so much book learnin, some of these professors, have no common sense.

Many high school dropout were undisciplined never spanked that research doesn't seem to fit reality.
Do you think gang members have a hi IQ?

Strictly as empirical observation I'd guess that gangers, at least those who voluntarily went that way (as distinguished from those whose culture gives them no other avenue) were probably beaten and otherwise abused BIG time.
Maybe by fellow gang members but not at home.

states.png

states-8th-grade.png

Does using violence make better students? I would prefer that this barbaric practice be done away with. Maybe a compromise would give parents a choice on what punishments the school would administer.

I agree...they should try education instead.

A teacher tried it on me ONCE. That was all it took. Yeah, I got expelled for awhile but she never tried it again when I returned.

When my kid was in school, I told them if they touched my kid, I would be touching them and they wouldn't like it.

Teachers have no right to physically punish a child. Children go to school to learn. They don't need some schmuck taking the role of parent. That is the parents job. Period. No exceptions.

The following happened at my school when I was a lad.

Every morning we had to eat what was then called an "empire breakfast". It was a vile concoction of porridge and gruel that members of our armed forces ate across what remained of the Empire. It was seen as a gesture of solidarity that school children shared in what the men defending what we benefitted from ate around the world. One morning a boy in my form refused to eat it. The schoolmaster attending the lunch hall that morning ordered him to eat it. The boy refused. The housemaster emptied his pipe into the boy's bowl and forced his face into it, making him eat it. I can't remember anyone refusing to eat it after that.

The housemaster should have been locked up forever...actually, no, he should have simply been killed. Horribly.

PS. I was first thrashed by my housemaster when I was seven. Thrashed so hard I had purple welts on my backside for the following week. When I got older they used to chalk the cane so that well-aimed strikes would land on freshly-bruised flesh marked by the chalk dust left by the first stroke. It used to sound like someone was firing a small-bore pistol at the ceiling. You bit your lip over it, though.

The appropriate punishment for him would be torturing him to death over a period of a year. At a minimum, flay him to death...50,000 strokes with a barbed-wire scourge soaked in brine.

Just because it is legal in those states does not mean it is practiced at all. None of the public schools here use it. When I was a kid, the nuns would smack knuckles with a ruler. That was 35 years ago. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen it done. There was a rumor that one girl got a spanking at the office from Sister Bonaventure, but was never confirmed.

A nun did that once to my wife...she still has the scar. Her "ruler" was a broken-off piece of a metal draftman's square, that she sharpened to a razor edge with a whetstone. The second time she tried it, my wife shattered the bitch's jaw and knocked out eight of her teeth.

Her father found out about the ruler and blew his top like Vesuvius. When the principal literally hid in his office, her father actually PUT HIS FIST THROUGH THE DOOR. Had he beaten the paramedics to Sister Psycho, he WOULD have killed her!

Just because it is legal in those states does not mean it is practiced at all. None of the public schools here use it. When I was a kid, the nuns would smack knuckles with a ruler. That was 35 years ago. I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen it done. There was a rumor that one girl got a spanking at the office from Sister Bonaventure, but was never confirmed.

A nun did that once to my wife...she still has the scar. Her "ruler" was a broken-off piece of a metal draftman's square, that she sharpened to a razor edge with a whetstone. The second time she tried it, my wife shattered the bitch's jaw and knocked out eight of her teeth.

Damn, you marry Sasquatch brah?

I kid, I kid.

I kid, I kid.

No, I married someone who the nun did not realize could be as mean as she was...but ten thousand times more vicious. A roll of dimes clenched tightly in the fist makes a credible substitute for a set of knucks.

I kid, I kid.

No, I married someone who the nun did not realize could be as mean as she was...but ten thousand times more vicious. A roll of dimes clenched tightly in the fist makes a credible substitute for a set of knucks.

I prefer a tube sock full of bars of soap myself. Doesn't leave marks.

Forum List

Back