Coronavirus Hysteria?

"As death projections continue to plummet"? Take a statistics course and learn the difference between death rate and doubling rate. (The percentage of deaths goes down as the number of tests go up.)
"New treatments seem to be effective"? Have you heard of hydrocloroquine? (Hint: It's not a fish tank cleaner.)
Where do you get your hallucinogens? Have you rum out of yours?

The only hysteria is among the dishonest, blind partisan right desperately trying to downplay the severity of the outbreak, fearful that Trump’s failure to address the crisis will cost Republicans the WH this November.

This thread is further proof of that.

“DETROIT (AP) — The coronavirus continued its unrelenting spread across the United States with fatalities doubling in two days and authorities saying Saturday that an infant who tested positive had died. It pummeled big cities like New York, Detroit, New Orleans and Chicago, and made its way, too, into rural America as hotspots erupted in small Midwestern towns and Rocky Mountain ski havens.

[…]

Worldwide infections surpassed the 660,000 mark with more than 30,000 deaths as new cases also stacked up quickly in Europe, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University. The U.S. leads the world in reported cases with more than 120,000. Confirmed deaths surpassed 2,000 on Saturday, twice the number just two days before, highlighting how quickly infections are escalating. Still, five countries have higher death tolls: Italy, Spain, China, Iran and France. Italy has more than 10,000 deaths, the most of any country.”

U.S. is now at approx. 1.7% death rate among identified cases. The rest of the world is about 5%. Italy counts all deaths as coronavirus so their stats are fucked in the first place, china is likely lying. Also, remember, the U.S. has tested far more. The spread is not 'unrelenting' it is centered in Sanctuary Cities like NY. Now, go spread misinformation elsewhere please. Better yet, go hide behind your mommie's apron.

The only hysteria is among the dishonest, blind partisan right desperately trying to downplay the severity of the outbreak, fearful that Trump’s failure to address the crisis will cost Republicans the WH this November.

This thread is further proof of that.

“DETROIT (AP) — The coronavirus continued its unrelenting spread across the United States with fatalities doubling in two days and authorities saying Saturday that an infant who tested positive had died. It pummeled big cities like New York, Detroit, New Orleans and Chicago, and made its way, too, into rural America as hotspots erupted in small Midwestern towns and Rocky Mountain ski havens.

[…]

Worldwide infections surpassed the 660,000 mark with more than 30,000 deaths as new cases also stacked up quickly in Europe, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University. The U.S. leads the world in reported cases with more than 120,000. Confirmed deaths surpassed 2,000 on Saturday, twice the number just two days before, highlighting how quickly infections are escalating. Still, five countries have higher death tolls: Italy, Spain, China, Iran and France. Italy has more than 10,000 deaths, the most of any country.”

U.S. is now at approx. 1.7% death rate among identified cases. The rest of the world is about 5%. Italy counts all deaths as coronavirus so their stats are fucked in the first place, china is likely lying. Also, remember, the U.S. has tested far more. The spread is not 'unrelenting' it is centered in Sanctuary Cities like NY. Now, go spread misinformation elsewhere please. Better yet, go hide behind your mommie's apron.

Cute fantasy. But let's do the actual numbers. See columns 4, 6 and 10, compare to "World" right at the top and explain to us how that's "winning".

Country,
Other
Total
Cases
New
Cases
Total
Deaths
New
Deaths
Total
Recovered
Active
Cases
Serious,
Critical
Tot Cases/
1M pop
Deaths/
1M pop
1st
case
World721,293+58,16633,944+3,083151,004536,34526,78992.54.4Jan 10
USA141,781+18,2032,471+2514,435134,8752,9704287Jan 20
Italy97,689+5,21710,779+75613,03073,8803,9061,616178Jan 29
China81,4393,30075,4482,691742572Jan 10
Spain80,110+6,8756,803+82114,70958,5984,1651,713146Jan 30
Germany62,095+4,400533+1009,21152,3511,9797416Jan 26
France40,174+2,5992,606+2927,20230,3664,63261540Jan 23
Iran38,309+2,9012,640+12312,39123,2783,20645631Feb 18
UK19,522+2,4331,228+20913518,15916328818Jan 30
Switzerland14,829+753300+361,59512,9343011,71335Feb 24
Netherlands10,866+1,104771+1322509,84597263445Feb 26
Belgium10,836+1,702431+781,3599,04686793537Feb 03
S. Korea9,583+105152+85,0334,398591873Jan 19
Turkey9,217+1,815131+231058,9815681092Mar 09
Austria8,788+51786+184798,2

Last edited:
Cute fantasy. But let's do the actual numbers. See columns 4, 6 and 10, compare to "World" right at the top and explain to us how that's "winning".

Cute statistics. How do YOU explain the HUGE death rate in Italy and Spain compared with other countries? And don't you think the U.S. death rate will come down once we have tested more than .005 of the population?

Cute statistics. How do YOU explain the HUGE death rate in Italy and Spain compared with other countries? And don't you think the U.S. death rate will come down once we have tested more than .005 of the population?

Second part first, death rate has nothing to do with testing. Testing identifies where the virus is, not "who's dead". The death rate comes down when sufficient TIME goes by to allow more recoveries. Only a few days ago did we cross the threshold where we have more recoveries than deaths -- like even Italy and Spain have, because they've been dealing with it longer.

I'm not as familiar with Spain but Italy left itself vulnerable by not taking it seriously (in terms of isolation) at the beginning, and that allowed the virus to spread wildly, whether it dragged its victims down sooner, or later. What it needs to do is literally test everybody so that carriers can be isolated, as this town did, but that's probably practically impossible at this point. This is why the experts keep saying "testing, testing, testing". Until you do that, you have silent carriers, walking around with no symptoms, passing the virus on.

The more isolation is NOT practiced, the more it's going to spread, because symptoms need not be present at all to identify who's carrying. And that's why testing only those with symptoms, as I believe Italy is still doing (as are we), is woefully inadequate.

This thread is probably a good place for the following story:

>> With the coronavirus quickly spreading in Washington state in early March, leaders of the Skagit Valley Chorale debated whether to go ahead with weekly rehearsal. The virus was already killing people in the Seattle area, about an hour's drive to the south.​
But Skagit County hadn't reported any cases, schools and businesses remained open, and prohibitions on large gatherings had yet to be announced.​
On March 6, Adam Burdick, the choir's conductor, informed the 121 members in an email that amid the "stress and strain of concerns about the virus," practice would proceed as scheduled at Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church. "I'm planning on being there this Tuesday March 10, and hoping many of you will be, too," he wrote.​
Sixty singers showed up. A greeter offered hand sanitizer at the door, and members refrained from the usual hugs and handshakes. "It seemed like a normal rehearsal, except that choirs are huggy places," Burdick recalled. "We were making music and trying to keep a certain distance between each other."​
After 2½ hours, the singers parted ways at 9 p.m.​
Nearly three weeks later, 45 have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or ill with the symptoms, at least three have been hospitalized, and two are dead. The outbreak has stunned county health officials, who have concluded that the virus was almost certainly transmitted through the air from one or more people without symptoms. << -- A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead

This is the lesson of silent carriers that we keep seeing over and over and over.

Those who believe it's a hoax or that everyone should go back to work are either trolling or live in a fantasy land. Regardless, it's going to be 31 more days of isolation guidelines. That must drive you nuts. Imagine people staying home because of a nasty contagious virus. What are they thinking?

As death projections continue to plummet, the current hysteria over the Coronavirus may be peaking. New treatments seem to be effective, and quarantining the entire population is now justified on the basis of smoothing the curve of people needing hospital care rather than as a legitimate protective therapy.

Quarantining particularly susceptible people is obviously warranted, but isolating the general population only postpones their eventual immunity while destroying our economy. Who wants to do that?

Comparing or arguing over death rates isn't the issue.
91-DIVOC : Flip the script on COVID-19

91-DIVOC : Flip the script on COVID-19
An interactive visualization of the exponential spread of COVID-19
91-divoc.com
If conservatives and liberals agree to focus on 15% hospitalization rates
for CASES (not death rates) , we can agree to focus on creating jobs
in safe work sites, separating high risk / quarantine areas from
low risk / immune areas. So nobody panics about either the
medical shortages and supplies, or the economy shutting down.

And this from the archives of "just say anything"
The only hysteria is among the dishonest, blind partisan right desperately trying to downplay the severity of the outbreak
So the hysteria is caused by those downplaying it :abgg2q.jpg: ...do you understand how contradictory that is? your rush to get to the "bash trump" portion of your post is what causes these type of screaming blunders.

So the hysteria is caused by those downplaying it :abgg2q.jpg: ...do you understand how contradictory that is? your rush to get to the "bash trump" portion of your post is what causes these type of screaming blunders.

LIbErals are masters of the art of Orwellian Doublethink. It's become so deeply ingrained in them, that they don't even know they're doing it; they are incapable of seeing the contradictions that they embrace.
VERY true, Bob, VERY true. This thread certainly proves that.

LIbErals are masters of the art of Orwellian Doublethink. It's become so deeply ingrained in them, that they don't even know they're doing it; they are incapable of seeing the contradictions that they embrace.
VERY true, Bob, VERY true. This thread certainly proves that.

You just put "dislikes" on two posts that were plainly and neutrally informational and educational, and then a "love" on the one above that foams at the mouth with sweeping generalization fallacy about a philosophical term the poster obviously doesn't even comprehend. Your opinion is pretty much worthless. Face it --- you're a partisan hack.

He just said "A lot of people are dying and it is a very unpleasant thing to go through."
I think he may be starting to understand.
well, you're wrong.
I really need to control my ebullient optimism for his administration, at least until we can vote him the hell out.
Zat all you got out of an 1.5 hour press conference? Are you drinking?
Over all actually a good briefing. Better tone and better knowledge of the score. It actually did sound like he gets it now. Him sounding like he gets it now may not be much to some, but I have mediocre expectations of him due to past performance. So, it was something to me. He didn't say anybody would have to be appreciative, for him to do is job. He only took time to get petulant with a couple of the reporters. he backed off talk of opening by easter and filling the church pews. Somebody got to him, or maybe the story of his friend falling into coma is true and that got to him. I don't know. Any way you slice it or no matter his real motivations, he sounded more like a president, a troubled president, (as well he should be) when possibly coming to grips with the situation the country is facing, not just his presidency, the economy and his re-election, but the situation and lives of the people of this country. The quote was from then end and it was a little rambling, but OK, I would have probably been rambling by that time also.

He just said "A lot of people are dying and it is a very unpleasant thing to go through."
well, you're wrong.
I really need to control my ebullient optimism for his administration, at least until we can vote him the hell out.
Over all actually a good briefing. Better tone and better knowledge of the score. It actually did sound like he gets it now. Him sounding like he gets it now may not be much to some, but I have mediocre expectations of him due to past performance. So, it was something to me. He didn't say anybody would have to be appreciative, for him to do is job. He only took time to get petulant with a couple of the reporters. he backed off talk of opening by easter and filling the church pews. Somebody got to him, or maybe the story of his friend falling into coma is true and that got to him. I don't know. Any way you slice it or no matter his real motivations, he sounded more like a president, a troubled president, (as well he should be) when possibly coming to grips with the situation the country is facing, not just his presidency, the economy and his re-election, but the situation and lives of the people of this country. The quote was from then end and it was a little rambling, but OK, I would have probably been rambling by that time also.
If you ask me, the reporters were petulant with Trump. Different POV and one which is shared by 60% of the U.S. Population. Trump gives us information about the virus every day and what they are doing, what is recommended, he is surrounded by professional medical experts which he defers to. His optimistic view is ATTACKED by stupid, fucking leftist reporters of which there are (I have noticed) fewer and fewer.

well, you're wrong.
If you ask me, the reporters were petulant with Trump. Different POV and one which is shared by 60% of the U.S. Population. Trump gives us information about the virus every day and what they are doing, what is recommended, he is surrounded by professional medical experts which he defers to. His optimistic view is ATTACKED by stupid, fucking leftist reporters of which there are (I have noticed) fewer and fewer.
They were not being petulant, just doing their job. Hard questions answered get deeper into the thinking. His job is to answer hard questions. This ain't high school. He has always been thin skinned, but I did make the point that he only did it twice. Sometimes it becomes the sum total of the content of he briefings, especially when speaking off the cuff. He is not very good off the cuff. In the beginning of this mess, it was BS, lies, blowing smoke and sunshine up the butt. Then he wen for Open up by Easter/fill the church pews. I also made the point that his change in tone overall was more appropriate to his office. For him, that's a lot. I'm an Independent. When he sucks, as is often the case, I say so. If I approve I say so and try to point out what he is did or is doing better. I thought I was pretty even handed and optimistic in my evaluation and comments. I will never be a fan, because character counts and he has proven, he lacks it, but I give him his due, when it is due, as I did in my post.

well, you're wrong.
They were not being petulant, just doing their job. Hard questions answered get deeper into the thinking. His job is to answer hard questions. This ain't high school. He has always been thin skinned, but I did make the point that he only did it twice. Sometimes it becomes the sum total of the content of he briefings, especially when speaking off the cuff. He is not very good off the cuff. In the beginning of this mess, it was BS, lies, blowing smoke and sunshine up the butt. Then he wen for Open up by Easter/fill the church pews. I also made the point that his change in tone overall was more appropriate to his office. For him, that's a lot. I'm an Independent. When he sucks, as is often the case, I say so. If I approve I say so and try to point out what he is did or is doing better. I thought I was pretty even handed and optimistic in my evaluation and comments. I will never be a fan, because character counts and he has proven, he lacks it, but I give him his due, when it is due, as I did in my post.
Thier "job' is not somehow divining what the President thinks or what the American people think. They are not reporting they are trying to sway public opinion. Thank God Trump can identify these vermin and out them for thier, pro-illegal alien, anti-American sentiment. No one cares what YOU think is 'appropriate'....... just how intolerant and arrogant can you be anyway? You have already proven you wouldn't know character if it smacked you in your ugly mug.

Forum List

Back