Copycat Recipes?

ChrisL

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2014
Wherever the wild things are!!
I have a great one for Rice-A-Roni.

1. Get some rice (any kind really - this is for 1-2 cups of rice - I eyeball everything usually) and some thin spaghetti or angel hair. Break up the pasta into small pieces (I like them about 1 cm or less). I put it in a large freezer bag and bang it with something. That works well.
2. Melt some butter or margarine in a saucepan and add rice and broken up pasta.
3. Mix well until rice and pasta coated with butter and let cook on low to medium heat until the rice and pasta start to brown.
4. Add about a tbsp of onion powder and about 2 tbsp of good quality chicken broth (homemade is best of course! :))
5. Mix that together well and then add water about 2 fingersbreadth above the level of the rice/pasta mixture.
6. Cover and cook until water is absorbed.
7. Serve and Eat!!! :)

I will add more recipes as I come across good ones. If you have any good ones, feel free to add them please! :)

1. Get some rice (any kind really - this is for 1-2 cups of rice - I eyeball everything usually) and some thin spaghetti or angel hair. Break up the pasta into small pieces (I like them about 1 cm or less). I put it in a large freezer bag and bang it with something. That works well.
2. Melt some butter or margarine in a saucepan and add rice and broken up pasta.
3. Mix well until rice and pasta coated with butter and let cook on low to medium heat until the rice and pasta start to brown.
4. Add about a tbsp of onion powder and about 2 tbsp of good quality chicken broth (homemade is best of course! :))
5. Mix that together well and then add water about 2 fingersbreadth above the level of the rice/pasta mixture.

I will add more recipes as I come across good ones. If you have any good ones, feel free to add them please! :)

Yo, sounds good, but no patients here, I like it quick! Try "Pasta Roni" Olive Oil & Italian Herb, or Garlic & Olive Oil, it comes in a box, just add water and boil, very good!

"GTP"
download (4).jpg

Yo, sounds good, but no patients here, I like it quick! Try "Pasta Roni" Olive Oil & Italian Herb, or Garlic & Olive Oil, it comes in a box, just add water and boil, very good!

"GTP"
View attachment 48942

Yuck

Here's a copycat recipe for Panera Bread's Baked Potato Soup

Ingredients

• 4 cups low sodium chicken stock
  • 2 teaspoons chicken soup base
  • 4 large potatoes scrubbed, peeled, diced
  • 1/2 white onion chopped
  • 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 4 ounces cream cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons chives
  • 2 tablespoons of real bacon bits
Directions

In a medium sized pot add cubed potatoes, chicken stock, and soup base. Cook potatoes in stock over medium heat for about 12 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. In a large pot heat butter over medium heat until it melts, add onions and saute until the onions are translucent. Sprinkle flour over the butter, and cook for a minute or two. The butter and flour mixture should become fragrant. Add potato and chicken stock by 1 cup increments and stir until soup mixture is well blended. Continue until the all of the potatoes and stock are added.

Add the cream cheese, and stir until it has melted. Add salt, black pepper, chives, and bacon bits. If desired garnish soup with shredded cheese, bacon bits, and sour cream.

"GTP"
View attachment 48942

Well thanks, but that's not a "copy cat" recipe. :D The reason why I like to do copy cat recipes is because you get to control the amount of fat and sodium going into your food. Home cooking is always more healthy.

Oh, I just realized I made an error. If you are using a dry chicken broth (powdered), then you will use 2 tbsp thereabouts. If you are using a LIQUID chicken broth, just cook the rice mixture in that and leave out the water. :)

I'm telling you, you have to try this recipe. It is delicious!

Cheesecake Factory Shrimp Scampi

Ingredients

For the shrimp

Directions

1. Pour enough olive oil in a large sauce pan to cover the bottom, turn to medium high heat. This is the only pot you'll need for the sauce so it should be big. Soak the shrimp in milk and combine the dry ingredients (flour, 2T cheese, salt, pepper). Coat the shrimp with the dry ingredients and let them fry in the olive oil, About 2 minutes per side until golden brown. The Flour that falls off the shrimp will add great flavor and consistency to the sauce. Add more oil as necessary, between batches of shrimp. Dab the shrimp with a paper towel, cover and set aside on range top to keep warm.
  2. Add the garlic to the oil, stir for a few minutes, then turn the heat to medium low. Now add the wine and bring it to a boil. Then turn the heat to low and cover, let the wine reduce, about 10-15 minutes.
  3. In a separate pot, bring water to simmer. (for pasta later).
  4. Add the cream, and bring it back to a boil, turn heat to low and simmer for 10 more minutes. While it is simmering dice your shallot and tomato, and chiffonade your basil. Now add the Basil, diced tomato, and remaining 2T Parmesan cheese. Stir for a moment then add the fried shrimp, and remove the pan from heat. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
  5. Bring pasta pot to a boil and add angel hair and cook.
  6. To plate, pour some sauce on a dish and arrange the shrimp around the bottom (10 or so), then take a ball of the pasta and plate that above the shrimp. garnish with a little parsley.
Delicious.

Cheesecake Factory Shrimp Scampi

Ingredients

For the shrimp

Directions

1. Pour enough olive oil in a large sauce pan to cover the bottom, turn to medium high heat. This is the only pot you'll need for the sauce so it should be big. Soak the shrimp in milk and combine the dry ingredients (flour, 2T cheese, salt, pepper). Coat the shrimp with the dry ingredients and let them fry in the olive oil, About 2 minutes per side until golden brown. The Flour that falls off the shrimp will add great flavor and consistency to the sauce. Add more oil as necessary, between batches of shrimp. Dab the shrimp with a paper towel, cover and set aside on range top to keep warm.
  2. Add the garlic to the oil, stir for a few minutes, then turn the heat to medium low. Now add the wine and bring it to a boil. Then turn the heat to low and cover, let the wine reduce, about 10-15 minutes.
  3. In a separate pot, bring water to simmer. (for pasta later).
  4. Add the cream, and bring it back to a boil, turn heat to low and simmer for 10 more minutes. While it is simmering dice your shallot and tomato, and chiffonade your basil. Now add the Basil, diced tomato, and remaining 2T Parmesan cheese. Stir for a moment then add the fried shrimp, and remove the pan from heat. The sauce will thicken as it cools.
  5. Bring pasta pot to a boil and add angel hair and cook.
  6. To plate, pour some sauce on a dish and arrange the shrimp around the bottom (10 or so), then take a ball of the pasta and plate that above the shrimp. garnish with a little parsley.
Delicious.

I'm going to try this. I've made my own version of chicken scampi before but never shrimp.

This one sounds like a lot of work, but I'm going to try it maybe this weekend. Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake! :p

INGREDIENTS
  • 1⁄4 cup finely chopped almonds
  • 3⁄4 cup finely chopped vanilla wafer

• Filling

DIRECTIONS
  1. Crust: Mix all nuts and vanilla wafer crumbs with melted butter and press into a 9 inch buttered springform pan, trying to line the sides as much as possible about 1 1/2" up the sides of the pan, set aside.
  2. Cheesecake: All above ingredients should be at room temperature before your begin.
  3. Start by beating the cream cheese until light and fluffy.
  4. Keep the mixer on a low setting throughout the beating and mixing process.
  5. Add the sugar a little at a time and continue beating until creamy.
  6. Add one egg at a time and beat after each egg.
  7. When eggs have been mixed into the cream cheese add flour, vanilla and lemon juice, mix well.
  8. Add the sour cream last and beat well.
  9. Pour cream cheese into the spring pan.
  10. Place on the top rack in the middle of a 325 degrees preheated oven for one hour and 15 minutes.
  11. When time is up, turn oven off, prop open oven door and leave in oven for one hour.
  12. After one hour, remove from oven.
  13. Let cool enough before the cheesecake is put into the refrigerator for 24 hours.
  14. A cheesecake should season.
  15. The wait is worth it.
  16. The flavor ripens and becomes enriched.

This one sounds like a lot of work, but I'm going to try it maybe this weekend. Cheesecake Factory Cheesecake! :p

You only need half that sugar and the vanilla extract is a waste in something as rich as cheesecake. These recipes are out there for free because they know people will buy some almonds, walnuts, and vanilla. A little lemon or lime zest adds more to the flavor than vanilla extract. I could go on a rant about all the cooking shows and online recipes if you want.

You only need half that sugar and the vanilla extract is a waste in something as rich as cheesecake. These recipes are out there for free because they know people will buy some almonds, walnuts, and vanilla. A little lemon or lime zest adds more to the flavor than vanilla extract. I could go on a rant about all the cooking shows and online recipes if you want.

Well thanks, but some of these recipes are really quite good and taste just like the real thing! Of course, if it was too sweet or something, I can adjust for that, but I will probably stick to the recipe the first time. :)

Well thanks, but some of these recipes are really quite good and taste just like the real thing! Of course, if it was too sweet or something, I can adjust for that, but I will probably stick to the recipe the first time. :)

Of course you should do whatever you want. I bake a lot so I use vanilla bean paste because it has the little seeds in it like a vanilla pod. Any high quality supermarket will carry it. The extracts are a waste of money, especially in something as strong as cheesecake. Americans do love their sugar even though it is killing us.

Of course you should do whatever you want. I bake a lot so I use vanilla bean paste because it has the little seeds in it like a vanilla pod. Any high quality supermarket will carry it. The extracts are a waste of money, especially in something as strong as cheesecake. Americans do love their sugar even though it is killing us.

It's okay to indulge sometimes. As long as you don't eat cheesecake every day! :D

That vanilla paste sounds very good though. I don't know if I've ever seen it before, but I've never looked for it either.

Lol. I shop at Market Basket. :lol: Don't know how "high quality" that would be, but it's not like Whole Foods Market, I know that much.

Forum List

Back