Copy machine security

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
I just saw a segment on the news.

Used Copiers. Which are bing sold to other countries around the world contain thousands of documents in them. They have a hard drive whexch stores thousands of images in them.
No one currently erases them.
The news crew bought 4 used ones.
Found one from a police sex crimes unit with thousands of documents on investigations, etc.
One was from a health care company with thousands of pages of personal health care records.
Employee lists with addresses and SS numbers, etc were found in them, etc.
One was from an artichetural company in NYC and had detailed building plans and such in it.
And the news crew just picked those at random and had no way of knowing where they came from.

On the day the news crew bought thier 4 machines 4 shipping containers full of used copiers were bing shipped to Singapore.

The software to dump the hard drives is available for free on the net.

We are sooooo stupid.
How did Homeland security miss this one?
I feel so safe and a gun will not help a bit on this.

Perhaps the copiers from finiancial institutions, Roves office, the RNC, etc can be of use?

I will bet there is a mad scramble right now to get incriminating evidence erased off of copiers :D

Used Copiers. Which are bing sold to other countries around the world contain thousands of documents in them. They have a hard drive whexch stores thousands of images in them.
Found one from a police sex crimes unit with thousands of documents on investigations, etc.
One was from a health care company with thousands of pages of personal health care records.
One was from an artichetural company in NYC and had detailed building plans and such in it.
And the news crew just picked those at random and had no way of knowing where they came from.

On the day the news crew bought thier 4 machines 4 shipping containers full of used copiers were bing shipped to Singapore.

We are sooooo stupid.

Homeland security is a myth---security itself is a myth.
Paying someone to provide you with security is just stupid.

We are sooooo stupid.

Yep and on copiers only one or two out there even offer an optional feature (costs more) to erase the hard drive images. there is no way for a user to do it.

Ohh and I forgot they are also used to send Fax's and retain copies of sent and rcvd fax's.

Last edited:

We are sooooo stupid.

In an old job I managed the entire US fleet of copiers for a forensic accounting firm (ie, they would audit medicaid/medicare record to find overpayments, underpayments, duplicate payments, etc). They also audited the records of most of the Fortune 50, 100 and 500 firms.

Whenever I retired machines, I had the hard drives removed and shipped to our IT department for wiping because:

1. This was a requirement of the US government contracts we had in place in order to audit medicaid/medicare records. The area the accountants used was a "clean room", which meant nothing went in except records and staff and nothing came out except staff. Lockers were provided outside the "clean room" for staff to store their stuff. They weren't even allowed to have personal effects on their desk. No pictures. No personal coffee mugs. Nothing but the records being audited, company provided office supplies, their phone, their computer and a adding machine/calculator.

2. It just made good business sense.

I wonder why so many firms don't do this? I left that job 5 years ago.....and copiers have gotten significantly more sophisticated in that time.

Wow. :eek:

We are sooooo stupid.

Yep and on copiers only one or two out there even offer an optional feature (costs more) to erase the hard drive images. there is no way for a user to do it.

Ohh and I forgot they are also used to send Fax's and retain copies of sent and rcvd fax's.

And...many copiers also scan documents to .pdf and e-mail, surf the internet, print web pages and a whole shmeeel of other things.

That's why the hard drive really really needs to be wiped before leaving a company's fleet.

Dayam. I didn't realize how many firms weren't doing this. :eek:

Last edited:
Since when copiers have hard drives? I have never heard of that before.

Me either. But they have so many functions compared to when I was using one regularly, it wouldn't surprise me if you could actually "drive" one away, if need be.

Forum List

Back