Copper’s Virus-Killing Powers Were Known Even to the Ancients

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
When researchers reported last month that the novel coronavirus causing the COVID-19 pandemic survives for days on glass and stainless steel but dies within hours after landing on copper, the only thing that surprised Bill Keevil was that the pathogen lasted so long on copper.

Keevil, a microbiology researcher at the University of Southampton (U.K.), has studied the antimicrobial effects of copper for more than two decades. He has watched in his laboratory as the simple metal slew one bad bug after another. He began with the bacteria that causes Legionnaire's Disease and then turned to drug-resistant killer infections like Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). He tested viruses that caused worldwide health scares such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and the Swine Flu (H1N1) pandemic of 2009. In each case, copper contact killed the pathogen within minutes. "It just blew it apart," he says.

In 2015, Keevil turned his attention to Coronavirus 229E, a relative of the COVID-19 virus that causes the common cold and pneumonia. Once again, copper zapped the virus within minutes while it remained infectious for five days on surfaces such as stainless steel or glass.

“One of the ironies is, people [install] stainless steel because it seems clean and in a way, it is,” he says, noting the material’s ubiquity in public places. “But then the argument is how often do you clean? We don’t clean often enough.” Copper, by contrast, disinfects merely by being there.

That's awesome.

Last edited:
Since the ancients ... had no idea that viruses existed (the very first virus being identified in 1982). I doubt if they knew the effects that heavy metals would have on them.

The article you're quoting deals with bacteria, as well as viruses.

Yea, and it's not just Covid 19, it kills MRSA within minutes, and immediately reduces the power of H1N1 until killing it entirely within 2-4 hours. In fact, all pathogens die on copper. The problem with copper is keeping it clean and looking nice, as well as its cost, but there are some hospitals which are using copper in place of stainless steel. All hospitals should look to copper in the future and seriously consider replacing stainless steel. I read a study that said staph infections (those picked up while a patient is in a hospital, and that occur while there) cost hospitals, on average, about $28,000.00 per patient, and with the reduced number of staph infections, replacing stainless steel with copper pays for itself in only one year.

Since the ancients ... had no idea that viruses existed (the very first virus being identified in 1982). I doubt if they knew the effects that heavy metals would have on them.

tssss.gif

The atom was described 5,000 years ago by the Vedic Hindus as the building block of the universe. The ancients may not have known of copper's effects (though they revered it for many mystical properties, some of them certainly understood that life existed on an infinite scale from the micro to the macro, with us somewhere in the middle.

it kills MRSA within minutes
The atom was described 5,000 years ago by the Vedic Hindus as the building block of the universe. The ancients may not have known of copper's effects (though they revered it for many mystical properties, some of them certainly understood that life existed on an infinite scale from the micro to the macro, with us somewhere in the middle.

Ancient people's made many philosophical speculations, some of which were analogous to the truth. This isn't scientific insight, they were accidentally similar speculations.

I've read that ancients used copper to hold liquid because some liquids tended to last longer in copper, but they would not have had the slightest clue as to why. Mostly they used soft metals like copper, tin, and brass because they are cheap, easy to fashion into vessels, and waterproof if properly brazed.

Ancient people's made many philosophical speculations, some of which were analogous to the truth. This isn't scientific insight, they were accidentally similar speculations.

I've read that ancients used copper to hold liquid because some liquids tended to last longer in copper, but they would not have had the slightest clue as to why. Mostly they used soft metals like copper, tin, and brass because they are cheap, easy to fashion into vessels, and waterproof if properly brazed.
All true except that the Vedic Sciences weren't speculation.

I'd really like to see the math and experiments that brought them to their conclusions.

I'd really like to see the math and experiments that brought them to their conclusions.
I'm obviously talking about something serious way over your head and now you need to try to cover for that with sarcasm and jokes, like 99% of your posts.

I'm obviously talking about something serious way over your head and now you need to try to cover for that with sarcasm and jokes, like 99% of your posts.

You can get angry and try to insult me. But, you still haven't explained the methodology behind Vedic science's discovery of The Atom.

Show me the work then decide if it's over my head.

Asking for source material is scientific. It's the basis of the scientific method.

Insults are tools of the unlearned, and the charlatan.

You can get angry and try to insult me. But, you still haven't explained the methodology behind Vedic science's discovery of The Atom.

Show me the work then decide if it's over my head.
Where is there anger? Where is there insults? It is a fact that 99% of your posts are nothing but smarmy humor, wise cracks and sarcasm. How dare you try to reduce something a mile over your head gleaned through direct experience put into words 5,000 years ago into conventional standards as if they used or had to use slide rules microscopes to know these things (or needed them)! If you want to understand something, you and westwall get off your lazy judgemental asses and study Vedic science the way I did. I'll even tell you where to start: Pick up a copy of the Srimad Bhagavatam Third Canto Part Two and go to the chapter on 'Calculation of Time From The Atom.' But then, you might want to start first by understanding how all this came about, was originally understood and converted to written language several thousand years ago. Do that, then you'll be qualified to discuss and judge the matter with a little authority.

Asking for source material is scientific. It's the basis of the scientific method.

Too bad for you West that you have the arrogance to think that EVERYTHING can be judged or understood by the scientific method.

How dare you try to reduce something a mile over your head gleaned through direct experience

Other than the trillions of imperceptible interactions I have with atoms on a daily basis ... how precisely did their interactions allow them to accurately predict the nature of the subatomic universe?

Did they have access to rudimentary laboratory equipment?

kathleen-macintyre-a1-linedrawing-kathleen.jpg

It's really hard to know if something is over my head when you won't actually say what that something is.

How dare you try to reduce something a mile over your head gleaned through direct experience

Other than the trillions of imperceptible interactions I have with atoms on a daily basis ... how precisely did their interactions allow them to accurately predict the nature of the subatomic universe?

Did they have access to rudimentary laboratory equipment?

It's really hard to know if something is over my head when you won't actually say what that something is.
And there you go, right back to your usual mode of bullshit sarcasm as a deflection/cover for your ignorance and disinterest in really sincerely learning anything truly new and unfamiliar. You have no rational explanation for how a text so old as to be originally transcribed in Sanskrit can talk about and describe the atom! Nor do you really care. I've told you what that something is and exactly where to find it. You're just too fucking lazy to bother learning it, instead you play around with your games like you really expect me to teach it to you like teaching calculus to a stone age man. Maybe USMB should open a new forum just on lessons on the Apauruṣeya Vedas and I should give up my day job just to relieve you of the burden of lifting a finger or move? The man leads the horse to the water. Up to you now whether to drink or not. Bye.

Too bad for you West that you have the arrogance to think that EVERYTHING can be judged or understood by the scientific method.

If it can't, it ain't scientific.

Forum List

Back