cop acquitted of lying on arrest report about a black man

I wasn't speaking to the incident. I was challenging your assertion that you are entitled to hit a police officer if they put hands on you. You are not.

You most certainly are legally protected in protecting yourself.

You can be charged with resisting arrest even if other charges are eventually dropped.

It used to be that way. Not so much any longer.

All charges were dropped.

Video shows Minneapolis officer's forceful arrest of Black man, 64

You most certainly are legally protected in protecting yourself.

It used to be that way. Not so much any longer.

All charges were dropped.

Video shows Minneapolis officer's forceful arrest of Black man, 64

When a police officer identifies himself as a police officer and tells you you're under arrest. You have no legal right to not comply with that arrest. In fact, you will be charged with resisting arrest if you don't comply. You will be charged with assault if you strike, spit on, or otherwise assault the officers.

SWAT arrests, on the other hand, are frequently fusterclucks and I can't speak to what might have happened at your example to say why he wasn't convicted of shooting at police.

To be fair, charges are very often dropped by prosecutors when prosecution might not be practical or might jeopardize future investigations. Dropping of charges doesn't mean a person is innocent. It means that, in the opinion of the prosecutors, sufficient evidence doesn't exist to ensure a guilty verdict. The charges often will be dropped so that police will be allowed time to gather more evidence.

When a police officer identifies himself as a police officer and tells you you're under arrest. You have no legal right to not comply with that arrest. In fact, you will be charged with resisting arrest if you don't comply. You will be charged with assault if you strike, spit on, or otherwise assault the officers.

Read the second link. That's exactly what happened. All charges were dropped. What do you want to bet that the guy gets a large settlement also?

SWAT arrests, on the other hand, are frequently fusterclucks and I can't speak to what might have happened at your example to say why he wasn't convicted of shooting at police.

To be fair, charges are very often dropped by prosecutors when prosecution might not be practical or might jeopardize future investigations. Dropping of charges doesn't mean a person is innocent. It means that, in the opinion of the prosecutors, sufficient evidence doesn't exist to ensure a guilty verdict. The charges often will be dropped so that police will be allowed time to gather more evidence.

We have Constitutional Rights. The police can NOT just come up and arrest you.

5-6 cops because he supposedly was outside smoking a cigarette? A charge not even enforced by the video and one it seems the police could not verify even happened.

He is lucky they didn't kill him over it like they did Eric Garner. Again, this is all over someone supposedly smoking outside.

People condemn things like mask requirements saying the government simply wants to control people but then will defend 5-6 cops showing up and arresting someone for supposedly smoking outside.
I certainly don't...From what I saw of the video, his treatment was unwarranted....

We have Constitutional Rights. The police can NOT just come up and arrest you.

Absolutely. And, if you feel your rights have been violated in the arrest, you can charge the officers involved in a civil court.

But, if you assault a police officer attempting to arrest you, you can be charged with assault and resisting arrest.

Absolutely. And, if you feel your rights have been violated in the arrest, you can charge the officers involved in a civil court.

But, if you assault a police officer attempting to arrest you, you can be charged with assault and resisting arrest.

Charges were dropped.

Charges were dropped.

Again, I can't speak to an individual case where I'm not privy to all the facts. No newspaper account of any case has ever presented all the facts, so I can't comment.

However, if you don't believe me that you can be charged for assaulting police, I suggest that the next time you are wrongfully arrested, you refuse to comply and, for good measure, hit the cop square in the face as hard as you can.

Then, report back to me and let me know how that went.

Again, I can't speak to an individual case where I'm not privy to all the facts. No newspaper account of any case has ever presented all the facts, so I can't comment.

However, if you don't believe me that you can be charged for assaulting police, I suggest that the next time you are wrongfully arrested, you refuse to comply and, for good measure, hit the cop square in the face as hard as you can.

Then, report back to me and let me know how that went.

All charges were dropped. Cops can charge you but that's why we have so many pay outs for police misconduct.

.From what I saw of the video

That's kind of my point. The public at large never get to see all the video or anything about the events leading up to that video.

We will only see that which appeals to our emotions.

That's kind of my point. The public at large never get to see all the video or anything about the events leading up to that video.

No smokes or anything of the sort was found on him.

The cop lied to find some reason to harass him.

Well, California, smoking in public, need I say more?

Forum List

Back