Cooks who wear rings

Maybe it's just me,but I refuse to eat any meal made by anyone that refuses to take their rings off. If my sister in law is preparing dinner, I always check her hands. Sometimes she has 4 rings on each hand...sometimes just her wedding ring. Problem is...have you ever taken your rings off to have them cleaned and saw all that gunk underneath? Now imagine dipping your hands, and those gunky rings, smearing around in a raw meatloaf, then her washing her hands afterwards, then preparing a salad. That gunk now has more company to harden and collect under the stones and in the stone clasps, etc. Washing hands is not going to remove it. It takes steam, an old toothbrush, etc to get that crap loose and all the germs and bacteria with it.

Tonight, I am watching Chopped. This woman has this multi cluster diamond ring on, sticking her hands in everything. She is glad I am not a judge because I would refuse to just taste it knowing that ring got dipped in raw food, then prepared, then spread on my plate with that ring on her hand.

Am I crazy? Persnickety? Or correct in thinking it's icky to cook with rings on?

No that makes perfect sense. I agree with you.

damn....i cook...i wear two rings...all the time.....there is no gunk under my rings....i wash my hands often..shower etc...

forgive me sy...but when one has 10 cats....one is not a fucking clean freak....oday!

you should see my house.... yep, clean freak. :eusa_angel:

I would think you'd almost have to be, since you are in the food industry.

oh you would be amazed at some of the people in the food industry...... they are freaking disgusting.

Not in my sight though.....

Maybe it's just me,but I refuse to eat any meal made by anyone that refuses to take their rings off. If my sister in law is preparing dinner, I always check her hands. Sometimes she has 4 rings on each hand...sometimes just her wedding ring. Problem is...have you ever taken your rings off to have them cleaned and saw all that gunk underneath? Now imagine dipping your hands, and those gunky rings, smearing around in a raw meatloaf, then her washing her hands afterwards, then preparing a salad. That gunk now has more company to harden and collect under the stones and in the stone clasps, etc. Washing hands is not going to remove it. It takes steam, an old toothbrush, etc to get that crap loose and all the germs and bacteria with it.

Tonight, I am watching Chopped. This woman has this multi cluster diamond ring on, sticking her hands in everything. She is glad I am not a judge because I would refuse to just taste it knowing that ring got dipped in raw food, then prepared, then spread on my plate with that ring on her hand.

Am I crazy? Persnickety? Or correct in thinking it's icky to cook with rings on?

I took a food protection class some time ago and I think you are right on the money! I am very careful regarding cleanliness, food prep etc.

that is simple food contamination....cross contamination....when cooking one must wash ones hands constantly

I always wash my hands before, in between and after cooking.

seems like you touch, wash, touch, wash.....at least that is what i do...i am amazed my hands arent pruney all the time

i know.... it hard on the hands when you do it right.

this is where gloves come in handy..... touch, change gloves...touch change gloves.

I never considered it before, but after reading this...ewww!!!

Last edited:
and just saying.... at a quick glance... the title looks like

cocks who wear rings

I only wear my wedding band when I cook, and I know there's nothing under there. I wash my hands 100 times while I'm cooking, because every time I touch the food, i have to wash them before I touch a different thing. If I taste the food, I wash the spoon before I dip it into the food again.

I don't like to eat at fast food restaurants because most of the workers are teens, and I know how nasty some teens can be.....they don't always wash their hands even when they go to the bathroom. They don't mind drinking out of the same bottle as someone else, and I've seen many young girls walk right out of the bathroom after they come out of the stall and go straight out without washing their hands....ewwwwww.

Forum List

Back