Converting my DVDs to Digital

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
First tried three rippers on Windows 10, WinX DVD Ripper wanted me to buy their software to rip anything more than five minutes of video.......... Movavi just wouldn't work and they also wanted me to buy their software to make it work. Handbrake wouldn't let me because my (personally owned) DVDs were protected even after I added libdvdcss-2 to it.
Decided to do a new install on my Kubuntu desktop which I had messed up a little playing around in Konsole, replaced it with Ubuntu 19.04, that played havoc with some of my systems so went to Ubuntu 18.04, did that yesterday. A couple of hours ago I installed Handbrake on Ubuntu and it just worked. Now I can convert all my DVDs to MP4 and get rid of all that bulk.
Also converting all my paperwork, paid bills, documentation, etc to digital format, that will get rid of the yuge file cabinet and make more room for more stuff......... :thup:

First tried three rippers on Windows 10, WinX DVD Ripper wanted me to buy their software to rip anything more than five minutes of video.......... Movavi just wouldn't work and they also wanted me to buy their software to make it work. Handbrake wouldn't let me because my (personally owned) DVDs were protected even after I added libdvdcss-2 to it.
Decided to do a new install on my Kubuntu desktop which I had messed up a little playing around in Konsole, replaced it with Ubuntu 19.04, that played havoc with some of my systems so went to Ubuntu 18.04, did that yesterday. A couple of hours ago I installed Handbrake on Ubuntu and it just worked. Now I can convert all my DVDs to MP4 and get rid of all that bulk.
Also converting all my paperwork, paid bills, documentation, etc to digital format, that will get rid of the yuge file cabinet and make more room for more stuff......... :thup:

I was about to say, Handbrake is the way to go. If only it could be done with VHS. :abgg2q.jpg:

I was about to say, Handbrake is the way to go. If only it could be done with VHS. :abgg2q.jpg:
Yup, all the reviews said Handbrake is the best. I assume since it wouldn't work on Win 10 is because of Microsuck's built in anti-pirating...... even though the DVDs were all legally purchased by me........
Now, do I store on the cloud or buy an extra HDD for video storage?

Last edited:

LOL I assume you're aware that DVD stands for Digital Video Disc.

LOL I assume you're aware that DVD stands for Digital Video Disc.
No shit dude...... Of course you're the second pedant in the thread....... I guess I should have said "converted to MPV" instead to silence the purists...... :rolleyes:

watch the dvd on vlc video player and record it as you watch.
That would take shitloads of time I don't have besides I'm almost finished converting over 100 DVDs to MPV, about 4-5 DVDs a day.
This way I can now unload almost all my DVDs because I don't have room for them.

I've been thinking about doing that too. It just seems like an awful lot of monotonous office work, so it's hard to get motivated.

I've been thinking about doing that too. It just seems like an awful lot of monotonous office work, so it's hard to get motivated.
The document scanning is tedious especially if you have a boat load of documents you need to catch up on but if you're just doing the every day, other day scanning then it's not so bad.

The document scanning is tedious especially if you have a boat load of documents you need to catch up on but if you're just doing the every day, other day scanning then it's not so bad.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V9LQH0/?tag=ff0d01-20

We've got a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500. Scans both sides on one pass, silent, and fast.

Makes document conversion from paper to PDF very easy. Right now I'm working on boxes and boxes of stuff that has built up over the years. Of course you can run the scan through OCR to make documents searchable.
.>>>>

Six done yesterday.......... A hundred more to go.........

You know one time I spent an hour or so coping and pasting books of the bible on my phone, then learned it only takes a few seconds to download it for free...

Forum List

Back