Conservatives forget history in discrediting Trump protesters

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
The political memory sure seems to be suffering from Alzheimers...

Trump refers to them as "professional protesters" - which simultaneously discredits them (with no evidence) and fans the flames. A typical tactic to delegitimize their concerns which are just as valid as the concerns that moved people to vote for trump.

Conservatives forget history in discrediting Trump protesters:

Trump’s supporters also perceive these protests as “unfair” because they claim there were no riots following Obama’s election.

According to conservatives on social media, “Republicans have jobs and responsibilities” and therefore couldn’t engage in civil disobedience to voice their discontent with the 2008 and 2012 elections. With this perception of the Obama elections and subsequent claims of “ Republican acceptance,” Trump supporters are now demanding the same “fairness” for Donald J. Trump’s presidency, “We sat through do nothing politics for 8 years, the least they can do is go shut up and sit in the corner for 8 themselves,” on Trump supporter explained.

However, these perceptions do not reflect what actually followed the election of our country’s first black president, much less the difference between why people are protesting Donald J. Trump’s presidency as compared to Barack Obama’s presidency.

Obama’s election in 2008 was preceded and followed by violent attacks and property destruction targeted against minorities.​

Now, this blog is in it's own way as decidely biased as the pro-Trumpers view, but it does point out some conveniently forgotten truths of a previous election win. There were protests. And violence. And some pretty bad behavior.

Trump refers to them as "professional protesters" - which simultaneously discredits them (with no evidence) and fans the flames. A typical tactic to delegitimize their concerns which are just as valid as the concerns that moved people to vote for trump.

Trump’s supporters also perceive these protests as “unfair” because they claim there were no riots following Obama’s election.

According to conservatives on social media, “Republicans have jobs and responsibilities” and therefore couldn’t engage in civil disobedience to voice their discontent with the 2008 and 2012 elections. With this perception of the Obama elections and subsequent claims of “ Republican acceptance,” Trump supporters are now demanding the same “fairness” for Donald J. Trump’s presidency, “We sat through do nothing politics for 8 years, the least they can do is go shut up and sit in the corner for 8 themselves,” on Trump supporter explained.

However, these perceptions do not reflect what actually followed the election of our country’s first black president, much less the difference between why people are protesting Donald J. Trump’s presidency as compared to Barack Obama’s presidency.

Obama’s election in 2008 was preceded and followed by violent attacks and property destruction targeted against minorities.​

Now, this blog is in it's own way as decidely biased as the pro-Trumpers view, but it does point out some conveniently forgotten truths of a previous election win. There were protests. And violence. And some pretty bad behavior.

Nothing comparable to the current nonsense.

Bullshit there were no protests and the violence wasn't close to what it is now.
I mean Surely you have news accounts of those protests then.

Maybe my memory is hazy and I don't recall rioting when President Obama was elected but maybe someone can refresh my pot filled head...

As for protesting, well of course they protested his election and hell some on here still believe he was born on Uranus and illegally came here from Pluto, but again can someone help me with the rioting part!?!

Like with President Obama I will give Trump the same length of rope to hang his political career with ( not a threat for those that have nothing better to do than to be complete idiots ) and I believe the fringes on both sides need to smoke a little herb and get laid so they can relax a little...

Obama’s election in 2008 was preceded and followed by violent attacks and property destruction targeted against minorities.
On what planet?

This election cycle's protests might be bigger (but then, so was the divisive and inflammatory rhetoric and animosity of the entire election compared to previous campaigns) - but none of that changes the fact that there were significant Anti-Obama protests compared to previous elections. There's a trend here of increased division leading to violence that you conveniently want to ignore.

Maybe my memory is hazy and I don't recall rioting when President Obama was elected but maybe someone can refresh my pot filled head...

As for protesting, well of course they protested his election and hell some on here still believe he was born on Uranus and illegally came here from Pluto, but again can someone help me with the rioting part!?!

Like with President Obama I will give Trump the same length of rope to hang his political career with ( not a threat for those that have nothing better to do than to be complete idiots ) and I believe the fringes on both sides need to smoke a little herb and get laid so they can relax a little...

I see no reason to condemn protests - they're an expression of a right. That right stops short of violence and destruction though.

Nothing comparable to the current nonsense.

I do not remember in my little life-time ---SO HYSTERICAL a response to the election results as we are experiencing now----------fret not ~~~~~~THIS, TOO, SHALL PASS

I see no reason to condemn protests - they're an expression of a right. That right stops short of violence and destruction though.

I didn't write anything about you not having the right to protest and by all means, but I still am asking the question when did the amount of rioting happen when President Obama was elected!?!

There is a big difference between rioting and protesting in a peaceful manner, and before one of you write I believe protesting is rioting, well try again... :)

I condemn rioting no matter which side does it because it is destruction of property and acts of violence that is not needed...

Let'em protest, it's their right to do so but it ends with blocking highways, destroying property and attacking people. It then becomes criminal

This election cycle's protests might be bigger (but then, so was the divisive and inflammatory rhetoric and animosity of the entire election compared to previous campaigns) - but none of that changes the fact that there were significant Anti-Obama protests compared to previous elections. There's a trend here of increased division leading to violence that you conveniently want to ignore.

It's all OK and will soon be dealt with. Attorney General Jeff Sessions will put a stop to the rioting.

I love how he says “We sat through do nothing politics for 8 years" as if they were quiet and complacent the whole time, no tea party rallies, no birther conspiracy, no burning down black churches, no death threats against senators or the president, no shootings at synagogues or mosques, no taking over a wildlife refuge, no threatening to kill hillary clinton if she gets elected, no shutting down the federal government based on hysteria.....they just "sat through" it lol

It's all OK and will soon be dealt with. Attorney General Jeff Sessions will put a stop to the rioting.

I overslept------what is the dirt on Jeff Sessions?

Let'em protest, it's their right to do so but it ends with blocking highways, destroying property and attacking people. It then becomes criminal

it seems to have become criminal several times already
And they've been arrested. And the riots seem to be over. So lets quit griping about old news that's been dealt with.
you have to realize by now that these people really dont give a shit about damaged property or blocked freeways.

it seems to have become criminal several times already
And they've been arrested. And the riots seem to be over. So lets quit griping about old news that's been dealt with.

yes----for the good of society ----I DO HOPE that serious rioters serve time

Forum List

Back