Conan O'Brien retires...at 58

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
my absolute favorite growing up...never missed an episode...he's too young to retire!

I retired at 58 but if I had been doing something I loved, I might not have. I imagine this is more of an ending of the show as opposed to actually being retired.

my absolute favorite growing up...never missed an episode...he's too young to retire!

I think most comedians don't feel free to be comedians in this hyper PC culture

I would retire as well.

It simply is not worth it. Say one wrong thing and you and your family are targeted by the Left till they die.

Don't know of very many comedians in Nazi Germany either.

• Banned
i'm amazed Conan didn't cry on his final night

it's like holding a fart in!

• Banned
Coco with Slipknot!

E4wRAfgWQAEwWT5

• Banned
the guy literally cannot behave in serious settings...just like me!

He didn't retire, he ended his TBS show. He's going to HBO Max to do a new show...

retired from late night...where he has been for 30 years...his HBO show is basically a podcast masquerading as a show

the opposite of Trump: Bob Hope didn't like being thought of as the richest man in Hollywood, which he was!

Very few people in his circumstances actually retire. They do other stuff that they find interesting or lucrative.

It doesn't take a huge percentage of the overall viewing audience to support a lucrative side gig.

He is so darn funny!

His speech at the Washington Correspondents' Dinner was hilarious.

from the media:

Conan O’Brien ending his 28-year run on late-night television has led to misconceptions about his current employment status.⁠⁠
⁠⁠
“Everywhere I go, people say, ‘Congratulations on your retirement!’ ” he said. “ ‘There goes Conan, riding a donkey off over the hill into the mist.’ ”⁠⁠
⁠⁠
In reality, he’s as busy as he was on the air.⁠ His media company, Team Coco, has 10 podcasts in production, including a new one breaking down every episode of “Parks and Recreation,” hosted by actor Rob Lowe and writer Alan Yang. There’s also a Q&A show hosted by O’Brien’s former sidekick, Andy Richter, and podcasts from comedians J.B. Smoove, Nicole Byer and Laci Mosley.⁠⁠
⁠⁠
@teamcoco plans to launch up to six more podcasts in the next eight months, including a scripted sketch comedy show created by “Saturday Night Live” hall of famer Dana Carvey.⁠⁠
⁠⁠
The heart of the activity is a podcast O’Brien has hosted for three years, “Conan O’Brien Needs a Friend,” where he interviews comedians and other famous people, from Bob Newhart to Barack Obama, at length. It’s liberating after decades of talk-show banter in short bursts. “It’s giving me a connection that I wasn’t getting before,” he said.⁠⁠
⁠⁠
The podcast has offered O’Brien a new comedic gear, deepened his relationship with fans, and helped Team Coco fund more podcasts and sign talent. ⁠⁠
⁠⁠
“It’s really nice that I’m back in a fort made of pillows, screwing around,” he said. “Yet we live in this time where me with two microphones in a pillow fort is legitimate. It’s a business, and it’s a good business, but at this stage of my career, at this stage of my life, it’s also a crazy gift.”⁠⁠

Forum List

Back