Communist California to require Solar Panels on all new homes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not being a smart ass here, just very curious: what did you pay for your system and how much was your electric bill prior to the panels?

I have two systems, but just to break down the bigger one for 1st floor:

System size 8.83kW - $28200,Tax incentives - $22,000
Year 1 production estimate 10,625 kWh, which is 102% of my electricity use for prior year.

Maybe I'm not following you correctly here, but are you saying that your main system actually only cost you $6,200?

Yes.

Okay, wel then it gets back down to how much other taxpayers are paying for your system. Taxpayers are paying three and a half times more for your electrical system than you are, so you are saving the money and the rest of us are paying for your savings.

I just don't care for that.

Ahh so now it's YOU paying for my tax-cuts. What a novel idea. ;)

Sure it is. Where do you think the government gets the money to pay for the rest of your system? It's not really a tax cut, it's more of a subsidy.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is great you are willing to be somewhat energy neutral and environmentally friendly. It just crosses lines when you mandate others to do the same, particularly when the economics are so bad.

Exactly. This mandate ups the cost of a home. That means if you wanted to build a 300K home, you can now only build a 275K home with solar panels.

Keep in mind, the subject state is California, it is impossible to build a new home for half a million dollars much less $300,000.
This home in sunnyvale recently sold for $2 million

sjm-l-sunnyvale-0301-1.jpg

Lol. Without knowing what's inside and just judging by the outside, you can buy a house like that here for about 150K.

I have been a Realtor in North Florida for over 40 years.

Several years back I listed and sold a home with about 2,700 sq.ft. of heated and cooled area. He had installed a 25kwh solar panel system at the cost of roughly $70,000. This was confirmed from his records and by two local property appraisers. The panels covered half the roof of the main single story house as well as a large lanai between the house and pool.

The house and land sold for less than the house would have sold for had it NOT had solar panels. The house is in the country on a nice piece of acreage. I'm sure the new owner was thrilled to not have a utility bill and not have to pay for the system as well. He and his wife had eleven kids, like stair steps up to the age of about 17 and one newborn.

I have two systems, but just to break down the bigger one for 1st floor:

System size 8.83kW - $28200,Tax incentives - $22,000
Year 1 production estimate 10,625 kWh, which is 102% of my electricity use for prior year.

Maybe I'm not following you correctly here, but are you saying that your main system actually only cost you $6,200?

Yes.

Okay, wel then it gets back down to how much other taxpayers are paying for your system. Taxpayers are paying three and a half times more for your electrical system than you are, so you are saving the money and the rest of us are paying for your savings.

Sure it is. Where do you think the government gets the money to pay for the rest of your system? It's not really a tax cut, it's more of a subsidy.

No sir, it's a tax cut - straight up deductions from my tax liabilities.

I'm just keeping more of my money in my pocket, so I could spend it into economy, right?

Cali has an energy problem . Also has a lot of sunlight ! Seems like a smart idea .

Really? California has an energy problem? They have 1 coal fired power plant, a nuclear power plant, 37 gas fired power plants, 44 hydro-electric power plants, 4 pump storage power plants, 8 wind power plants, 15 solar power plants, 11 thermal and geothermal power plants, and 28 biomass power plants, and you think California has an energy problem?

List of power stations in California - Wikipedia

Maybe better stated to say that California has an excessive people and consumption problem.

I have been a Realtor in North Florida for over 40 years.

Several years back I listed and sold a home with about 2,700 sq.ft. of heated and cooled area. He had installed a 25kwh solar panel system at the cost of roughly $70,000. This was confirmed from his records and by two local property appraisers. The panels covered half the roof of the main single story house as well as a large lanai between the house and pool.

The house and land sold for less than the house would have sold for had it NOT had solar panels. The house is in the country on a nice piece of acreage. I'm sure the new owner was thrilled to not have a utility bill and not have to pay for the system as well. He and his wife had eleven kids, like stair steps up to the age of about 17 and one newborn.
That's interesting but why would the solar panels hurt the resale value of the home? I'm missing something.

Same slippery slope when they required cars to have seat belts.
And sewage connections in new houses...
again you're comparing sewage to solar.
jesus you guys dont have a clue
I'm comparing a city's requirements for new buildings to be constructed to a standard that considers the common good.

Yes.

No sir, it's a tax cut - straight up deductions from my tax liability.

I'm just keeping more of my money in my pocket, so I could spend it into economy, right?

So solar panel company A gets 28K for instilling your system. You pay $6,200 of that cost. How does Solar panel company A get the rest of that money from your deductions?

It just doesn't make sense. A tax cut means you pay less in taxes. It does not mean that you pay less for something and government pays it for you.

I'm comparing a city's requirements for new buildings to be constructed to a standard that considers the common good.

and the common good of solar panels?

No sir, it's a tax cut - straight up deductions from my tax liability.

So solar panel company A gets 28K for instilling your system. You pay $6,200 of that cost. How does Solar panel company A get the rest of that money from your deductions?

It just doesn't make sense. A tax cut means you pay less in taxes. It does not mean that you pay less for something and government pays it for you.

Pretty simple - Company gets money from me, I pay less to governmet in taxes (get a tax-cut).

It's exactly how righties describe it - "more of my money in my pocket to spend into economy"..only even better since I do in fact spend 100% of it into economy before even getting the tax-cut.

Economic stimulus multipliers off the charts :biggrin:

Last edited:

and the common good of solar panels?
Less harmful emissions and waste from power stations.

The free market is the best provider of the public good.

Public goods like roads? Justice system? Police? Millitary? ...Really?

Public goods like roads? Justice system? Police? Millitary? ...Really?

Yes, all of those.

Great idea - I could charge people to dump their shit onto my 1/8 acre property in the middle of town.
I love the free market!

Great idea - I could charge people to dump their shit onto my 1/8 acre property in the middle of town.
I love the free market!
As long as your neighbors didn't have to smell it and it stayed on your property. If wind blew it onto someone else's property, you would be sued. Of course, you know that's not possible.

I love the free market!
As long as your neighbors didn't have to smell it and it stayed on your property. If wind blew it onto someone else's property, you would be sued. Of course, you know that's not possible.
Hmmm...ya got me there!
I wonder how we could prevent noxious emissions and waste from the likes of power plants as well?
If only there was some way of reducing the need for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back