Common Core... let the blame begin!

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
A friend of mine (liberal) posted this on her facebook. It is an article in the Washington Post about Common Core. Here's the link for those who feel the need to read the endless article itself: The coming Common Core meltdown

I couldn't make it to the end, my eyes began bleeding after the first 17 paragraphs. It just drones on and on with liberal blame and excuses for why this latest grand idea is a complete disaster and failure. No surprise, it's us mean old conservative Bush lovers who are mostly to blame!

What caught my attention came in the following statement:

...standards don’t deliver themselves. They require well-prepared and supported professional staff, improved instructional resources, safe and well-equipped facilities, reasonable class sizes, and—especially if they are supposed to help schools compensate for the inequality that exists all around them—a host of supplemental services like high quality preschools, expanded summer and after-school programs, health and social services, and more.

It would have been nice to have known this and had a discussion about it BEFORE spending billions of dollars and being lectured by the liberals on how this was The End-All-Be-All Answer to our education problems. But no, when conservatives wanted to have that debate, they were hooted down and told they'd lost the election and tough titty, go suck an egg! We're doing things OBAMA's way now, so sit down and shut the f*ck up.

Now that they are discovering how badly this thing is going to fail, they are attempting to cover their asses, and of course, it's all George W. Bush's fault. That terrible train wreck known as No Child Left Behind... that's why this Common Core idea can't work. Even as they admit the basic fundamental infrastructure to enable Common Core to work is just not there, they find a way to blame this on the Bush Administration policies. Apparently, Bush somehow got rid of professional staff, got rid of their support and preparation, did away with their resources, diminished their safety and equipment, ballooned their class sizes and ended preschool, summer and after-school programs across America. I guess all of this must have been hidden somewhere in NCLB and none of us were aware of it. That evil man!

So now, we are left with this great and wonderful idea of Common Core, but it won't work because Bush messed up the education system so badly that we need to spend untold trillions to completely rebuild the system.... then Common Core will be GREAT!

Now I have to say, the intentions of Common Core are admirable. We should all support some goal or standard for our children to meet in education. I was kind of under the impression we already had that, but it's not a bad idea. The main problem I have with Common Core, and I am no expert, but it was not designed and planned by educators. Wouldn't it have been a much better idea to have actual K-12 teachers involved in the plan? As opposed to companies who provide testing and government bureaucrats? Even most of the academic standards were set by liberal college professors. What do they know about third-graders?

This is another prime example of why government is not the most effective administrators when it comes to the educational needs of American children. The whole entire system is full of political crap heaped upon layers of even more political crap. Every 4-8 years, another layer of political crap is added in hopes of improving things. But we can't even agree on what should be "core curriculum" anymore. America is so polarized between the left and right, it just turns into a complete mess. To top it off, because the government runs things, there is no competitive element. Teachers gain tenure whether they are good or bad, we spend more and more money hiring big-wig administrators and government-paid officials to "help" the situation, and it just continues to get worse.

We are currently spending more per student for education than any time in our history, yet liberals will swear up and down that education funding has been drastically cut. Now, I don't understand how this is mathematically possible unless we have drastically fewer students than ever before, but that's what the liberals claim. In any event, it seems clearer to me everyday, the best alternative is to do away with the Department of Education and allow the states and communities across America to handle their own educational needs. Forget about implementing these bureaucratic ideas from upon high, developed by politicos and corporations with vested interests, and simplify the process of education.

Common Core! The new way to do multiplication:

lattice_multiplication.png

God help the chilluns

Forum List

Back