Colorado Grand Jury Returns Indictments Against Cops & Medics In 2019 Death Of Elijah McClain

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA

"Two police officers, one former officer and two paramedics in Aurora, Colorado, will face charges in the death of Elijah McClain, a young Black man who was detained and placed in a chokehold in a confrontation with police in 2019. The indictment comes after an eight-month grand jury investigation convened by Colorado's top prosecutor. The officers named in the indictment are Nathan Woodyard and Randy Roedema and former officer Jason Rosenblatt. The paramedics are Jeremy Cooper and Peter Cichuniec; all charged with 32 counts including manslaughter. McClain's encounter with police in Aurora, a Denver suburb, began just after 10:30 p.m. on Aug. 24, 2019, after he bought iced tea from a corner store.

Three Aurora police officers responded to a report of a suspicious person wearing a mask and waving his arms. Bodycam video later released showed officers ordering McClain to stop. He responded that he was an introvert and to "please respect the boundaries that I am speaking." Aurora police said in a statement that he "resisted contact, a struggle ensued, and he was taken into custody." Authorities said officers applied a carotid control hold on McClain, Paramedics were called to the scene, and McClain was injected with ketamine to sedate him after police video showed him writhing on the ground saying, "I can't breathe, please," and vomiting. He apologized for vomiting. About seven minutes after he received the drug, McClain was found to have no pulse in the ambulance and went into cardiac arrest."

By all accounts, this was a pretty good guy...he may have been autistic which could explain his initial reaction....I mean, the guy even apologized for vomiting while they were choking him out and injecting him with ketamine...Now, I don't think these charges will stick once this goes to court...when officers say "he resisted arrest" or "he didn't comply with commands" or the ever popular "we feared for our safety" -- those are usually slam dunks for acquittals...especially from the "police can do no wrong" crowd -- unless of course, the guy was doing performative cosplay along with 1000's of others while storming the Capitol in hopes of overturning the election.

Whenever an individual "resists arrest," the encounter quickly becomes a more negative result for all concerned. I recall a video whereby a black pastor who complained that the police could handle situations by de-escalating the scenarios, accepted a police challenge to put himself in a scenario where he would be the arresting official and was given a blank firing gun in a holster. By the end of the scenario, the pastor had to admit that the only solution was risk being killed or for the person they must arrest, to NOT RESIST in the first place.
When someone is agitated and/or mentally-ill and not complying with police, the police can't just say...."oh well, I guess he/she doesn't want to come peacefully, so let's go grab a donut. The mentally unstable individuals are definitely a situation a cop has difficult with in that he/she is neither a psychiatrist nor a psychologist and can only rely on what training that is given. There is a complaint that "social-workers" should go out on such calls, again, they also are not psychiatrists or psychologists. They're SOCIAL WORKERS. Their training is primarily in assisting individuals or groups in achieving equitable access to social, economic and political resources.....not mental illness (only the mentally-ill persons living conditions). Sending a social worker out on such calls would be no better than sending out your average person-on-the-street to accompany the cops.
It can take three or four cops to hold down a struggling mentally-ill or high on drugs individual and whether you are compressing on the agitated person's chest or neck, breathing can become labored. Personally, if I were the cop, if I saw that the person wasn't going to cooperate, I would warn the person three times and if he/she didn't comply, I would just pull out the taser and hit him/her with some volts, not bothering with all that resistance nonsense.

Whenever an individual "resists arrest," the encounter quickly becomes a more negative result for all concerned. I recall a video whereby a black pastor who complained that the police could handle situations by de-escalating the scenarios, accepted a police challenge to put himself in a scenario where he would be the arresting official and was given a blank firing gun in a holster. By the end of the scenario, the pastor had to admit that the only solution was risk being killed or for the person they must arrest, to NOT RESIST in the first place.
When someone is agitated and/or mentally-ill and not complying with police, the police can't just say...."oh well, I guess he/she doesn't want to come peacefully, so let's go grab a donut. The mentally unstable individuals are definitely a situation a cop has difficult with in that he/she is neither a psychiatrist nor a psychologist and can only rely on what training that is given. There is a complaint that "social-workers" should go out on such calls, again, they also are not psychiatrists or psychologists. They're SOCIAL WORKERS. Their training is primarily in assisting individuals or groups in achieving equitable access to social, economic and political resources.....not mental illness (only the mentally-ill persons living conditions). Sending a social worker out on such calls would be no better than sending out your average person-on-the-street to accompany the cops.
It can take three or four cops to hold down a struggling mentally-ill or high on drugs individual and whether you are compressing on the agitated person's chest or neck, breathing can become labored. Personally, if I were the cop, if I saw that the person wasn't going to cooperate, I would warn the person three times and if he/she didn't comply, I would just pull out the taser and hit him/her with some volts, not bothering with all that resistance nonsense.
I have detained and controlled many people over thirty years of security detail at businesses and I never once killed nor did I ever wear a firearm or weapon of any kind.

This is great. I'm not sure about the charges for the EMT's yet but sometimes you have to send a strong message to get the word through to some people.

They murdered him. We will let the courts figure it out.

I have detained and controlled many people over thirty years of security detail at businesses and I never once killed nor did I ever wear a firearm or weapon of any kind.
Did they call you Deputy Fife? You were in security for 30 yrs when you have more THC in your blood than red blood cells?

No wonder you weren't allowed a weapon

Yea they have been murdering black folks since Slave Patrols, why stop now.
How many black males have been shot and killed in a typical year by the police. Then how many were lunging forward with a weapon. I know. But I'll wait for you.....Hint: Count your fingers and maybe your big toe and that will be it

Somebody who went out to buy iced tea is dead after being treated violently and then injected with a drug overdose. Of course there should be a trial.

So now medical malpractice is criminal?

If someone would administer heroin to someone and they died, there would be charges. We are now criminally charging people who simply sell it to someone that dies now.

They shot him up with an OD.

Most cops don't either Moon..............but one day you may be put in that situation. Hope that you are black so you don't get accused of racism no matter how flimsy and stupid that the claim is. And besides aren't you older than dirt-----------times have changed----new generation is far more belligerent.

"Two police officers, one former officer and two paramedics in Aurora, Colorado, will face charges in the death of Elijah McClain, a young Black man who was detained and placed in a chokehold in a confrontation with police in 2019. The indictment comes after an eight-month grand jury investigation convened by Colorado's top prosecutor. The officers named in the indictment are Nathan Woodyard and Randy Roedema and former officer Jason Rosenblatt. The paramedics are Jeremy Cooper and Peter Cichuniec; all charged with 32 counts including manslaughter. McClain's encounter with police in Aurora, a Denver suburb, began just after 10:30 p.m. on Aug. 24, 2019, after he bought iced tea from a corner store.

Three Aurora police officers responded to a report of a suspicious person wearing a mask and waving his arms. Bodycam video later released showed officers ordering McClain to stop. He responded that he was an introvert and to "please respect the boundaries that I am speaking." Aurora police said in a statement that he "resisted contact, a struggle ensued, and he was taken into custody." Authorities said officers applied a carotid control hold on McClain, Paramedics were called to the scene, and McClain was injected with ketamine to sedate him after police video showed him writhing on the ground saying, "I can't breathe, please," and vomiting. He apologized for vomiting. About seven minutes after he received the drug, McClain was found to have no pulse in the ambulance and went into cardiac arrest."

By all accounts, this was a pretty good guy...he may have been autistic which could explain his initial reaction....I mean, the guy even apologized for vomiting while they were choking him out and injecting him with ketamine...Now, I don't think these charges will stick once this goes to court...when officers say "he resisted arrest" or "he didn't comply with commands" or the ever popular "we feared for our safety" -- those are usually slam dunks for acquittals...especially from the "police can do no wrong" crowd -- unless of course, the guy was doing performative cosplay along with 1000's of others while storming the Capitol in hopes of overturning the election.
By all accounts he was a “good guy”.....other than the video showing him ignoring cops commands and resisting arrest. Not to mention apparently going for one of their guns.

Little negroid thought he could do whatever he wanted. He fucked around and found out.

Forum List

Back