Cocktails

Blues Man

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2016
What's your favorite cocktail?

I'm usually a bourbon on the rocks guy but for the past 6 months or so I have been experimenting with different classic cocktail recipes.

I have to say that I'm liking the Old Fashioned lately

Last edited:
Dom Benedictine. Technically not a cocktail, but might as well be one.

Black Russian. No matter how many you have, it's hard not to mix it properly. :auiqs.jpg:

Seven & Seven.

I'm usually a bourbon on the rocks guy but for the past 6 months or so I have been experimenting with different classic cocktail recipes.

Not to be technical, but I don't consider anything on "the rocks" or even "with water/club" to be a true cocktail.

I think they either need more than 2 ingredients, or 2 ingredients with one being more complicated.

So I would say captain morgan and club is just a drink, but captain morgan and ginger is a cocktail.

That being said, I love nothing better than a good Old Fashioned or a good Manhattan.

Not to be technical, but I don't consider anything on "the rocks" or even "with water/club" to be a true cocktail.

I think they either need more than 2 ingredients, or 2 ingredients with one being more complicated.

So I would say captain morgan and club is just a drink, but captain morgan and ginger is a cocktail.

That being said, I love nothing better than a good Old Fashioned or a good Manhattan.

I should have been a little more specific

I am using the first published definition of the word

The first published definition of the Cocktail appeared in an editorial response in The Balance and Columbian Repository of 1806. This read: "Cocktail is a stimulating liquor, composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water, and bitters."

The first published definition of the Cocktail appeared in an editorial response in The Balance and Columbian Repository of 1806. This read: "Cocktail is a stimulating liquor, composed of spirits of any kind, sugar, water, and bitters."

Interesting. Now my question is it sugar or water or bitters vs. sugar and water and bitters.

Sorry when you combine my mild OCD with my Engineering background with a love of alcohol you get annoying questions like this.

Interesting. Now my question is it sugar or water or bitters vs. sugar and water and bitters.

Sorry when you combine my mild OCD with my Engineering background with a love of alcohol you get annoying questions like this.

Actually as I understand it, ice cubes can be considered water.

The classic old fashioned is usually prepared with 1 cube of sugar, 2 dashes of bitters, 2 oz of spirits served over a large piece of ice and garnished with an orange twist

The classic old fashioned is usually prepared with 1 cube of sugar, 2 dashes of bitters, 2 oz of spirits served over a large piece of ice and garnished with an orange twist

Yep, and when done right it is magnificent. When done not right it can be a disaster.

It's one of those drinks that relies entirely on the bartender. I've had two at the same bar/restaurant from different bartenders and one was superb and the other was not so much.

Yep, and when done right it is magnificent. When done not right it can be a disaster.

It's one of those drinks that relies entirely on the bartender. I've had two at the same bar/restaurant from different bartenders and one was superb and the other was not so much.

I am hooked on bourbon old fashions

I like a Manhattan but it is definitely my second choice

Forum List

Back