Coca-Cola CEO says China friendlier to Business than US

Years ago warnings came across about coca-cola but no one else seemed to hear them. One of the most territorial addictions we have in America is toward our soda pops. This is not something that hasn't been foreseeable, it is instead something that has been ignored. America's key with China is not to become antagonistic or continue in denial but rather to build our country up in the areas that would help us to become a better competitor, a better partner.

yes china is exploytation ready.

If they love china they can move there for all I care.

then we can charge tarriffs for their nasty assed product and sales of other drinks will soar in the US.

This is a perfect example of how the corps see the US.

merely a place to sell product and they will bail on us for an extra dime.

We should return the sentiment

You see, TM. That is the problem.
I agree....Coke wants to move to China, stop buying Coke. Problem is, most people wont stop buying coke. With operating costs, coke will be able to keep their prices low and Americans will continue buying it.

I have said all along that it is the American People that have created the problems we have. The American People, in general, do what they want, not what they say. They will complain about Wal-Mart but shop there anyway for the lower prices. They will compalin about the credit card interest rates, but use them anyway. They will complain about Nike and child labor overseas, but buy their athletic shoes anyway. They will complain about Wall Street, yet invest their money anyway hoping their money will make money for them. (They can easily invest in Muni's and get a lower, yet more safe a return).

Now, on ther flip side....exactly what is wrong with a corporation trying to make more money? If it has no adverse affect on sales, wouldnt it be foolish to NOT try to save money?

SO you see, it is up to the American People to give Coke a reason to regret their decision to produce in China, (if they opt to). You (maybe) and many like you want the product and want the government to do something about it.....I say let us, as Americans, control the decisions Coke makes. Buy Pepsi for example.

But sadly, we are a nation of NIMBY.....we speak the words, but act otherwise.

Exactly why a completely free market doesn't work. Because you're right. Walmart could be hiring slave laborers who rape women on their lunch breaks, and the free market here in USA would still buy their stuff if it's cheaper. That's not something wrong with the American people, either. It's looking out for their own family over the poor kids and womens' families by keeping their financial house in order. A totally free market totally free of regulation does *not* work to eliminate slave/unsafe labor practices simply because human nature does not allow it to do so.

If my family is broke and my baby is starving, I'm going to buy her 3 bottles of "slave labor" milk if the same money can only afford "clean labor" milk. Necessity.

Society is fucked. Success is now measured by how well you make money, not by how good of a person you are anymore. Greed rules the day.

[
But corporations are in the business of business. If you are going to put snail darters and spotted owls ahead of jobs, then don't be surprised when you lose jobs and are stuck eating the spotted owls.

do you understand what happens when you distroy certain species in an ecosystem?

Birds eat bugs and owls eat rodents.

Are you catching on yet?

A snail darter is a fish, not a bird. I could go into whole paragraphs of why the Endangered Species Act not only is bad for business, but doesn't really help animals all that much.

The thing is, if the spotted owl can't adapt, screw it. There are plenty of other owls that have learned to live along side humans, such as the barred owl.

The "endangered" species are usually the ones that were on the fast track to extinction before we came along.

This is true...thus why they are endangered.
We are actually having an effect on the ecosystem...but not necessarily a positive affect. We very well may be saving a species that was destined to die off...at the expense of other species that have adapted.

We are actually controlling the "survival of the fittest" theory......as we are protecting the less fit.

Nope.

Its up to coke to do whatever they want.

Its up to Americans to stop treating these businesses like they OWN US!

Fuck coke.

lets put great big tarrifs on their gut desolving products for moving to china.

Then Pepsi can have the first place shot at the market.

Shasta can make their special blend that tastes like coke and expand like crazy in the US while coke sits on the self because it costs too much.

You seem to think that ONLY the big brands can produce jobs WHY????

No doubt that as China becomes a more free country to do business, we become a less free country to do business. Not only confiscatory taxation, and overregulation. Companies can be crippled by special interest demands, subject to specious lawsuits. There are many reasons why the US is becoming a totalitarian country. Someone check with Boeing as to whether that company finds the US a place to do business.

People talk about China as a communist country, as if we aren't the same, or in some cases even WORSE. There is less and less difference between this country and communist China all the time. Except that China is shaking off totalitarianism and we are putting it on.

do you understand what happens when you distroy certain species in an ecosystem?

Birds eat bugs and owls eat rodents.

Are you catching on yet?

A snail darter is a fish, not a bird. I could go into whole paragraphs of why the Endangered Species Act not only is bad for business, but doesn't really help animals all that much.

The thing is, if the spotted owl can't adapt, screw it. There are plenty of other owls that have learned to live along side humans, such as the barred owl.

The "endangered" species are usually the ones that were on the fast track to extinction before we came along.

We are actually having an effect on the ecosystem...but not necessarily a positive affect. We very well may be saving a species that was destined to die off...at the expense of other species that have adapted.

We are actually controlling the "survival of the fittest" theory......as we are protecting the less fit.

So you suggest we let them die and eat the bugs and rats our selves?

No doubt that as China becomes a more free country to do business, we become a less free country to do business. Not only confiscatory taxation, and overregulation. Companies can be crippled by special interest demands, subject to specious lawsuits. There are many reasons why the US is becoming a totalitarian country. Someone check with Boeing as to whether that company finds the US a place to do business.

People talk about China as a communist country, as if we aren't the same, or in some cases even WORSE. There is less and less difference between this country and communist China all the time. Except that China is shaking off totalitarianism and we are putting it on.

you are insane

It's not a matter of control, it's a matter of being business friendly.

if I want to set up a factory in China, the government will bend over backwards to help me.

If I want to set up a factory in the US, they are making sure that I won't be stepping on any snail darters...

In other words, a Communist Government is not bad for business..............sure you're conservative?

The Chinese stopped being "Communist" a very long time ago. Please don't be dishonest.

Personally, I'm not thrilled with China's growth, but we have to look at what they are doing right.

They are not treating business as the "enemy".

Really? I guess I missed all those free elections... :lol: :lol: :lol:

yes china is exploytation ready.

If they love china they can move there for all I care.

then we can charge tarriffs for their nasty assed product and sales of other drinks will soar in the US.

This is a perfect example of how the corps see the US.

merely a place to sell product and they will bail on us for an extra dime.

We should return the sentiment

I agree....Coke wants to move to China, stop buying Coke. Problem is, most people wont stop buying coke. With operating costs, coke will be able to keep their prices low and Americans will continue buying it.

I have said all along that it is the American People that have created the problems we have. The American People, in general, do what they want, not what they say. They will complain about Wal-Mart but shop there anyway for the lower prices. They will compalin about the credit card interest rates, but use them anyway. They will complain about Nike and child labor overseas, but buy their athletic shoes anyway. They will complain about Wall Street, yet invest their money anyway hoping their money will make money for them. (They can easily invest in Muni's and get a lower, yet more safe a return).

Now, on ther flip side....exactly what is wrong with a corporation trying to make more money? If it has no adverse affect on sales, wouldnt it be foolish to NOT try to save money?

SO you see, it is up to the American People to give Coke a reason to regret their decision to produce in China, (if they opt to). You (maybe) and many like you want the product and want the government to do something about it.....I say let us, as Americans, control the decisions Coke makes. Buy Pepsi for example.

Exactly why a completely free market doesn't work. Because you're right. Walmart could be hiring slave laborers who rape women on their lunch breaks, and the free market here in USA would still buy their stuff if it's cheaper. That's not something wrong with the American people, either. It's looking out for their own family over the poor kids and womens' families by keeping their financial house in order. A totally free market totally free of regulation does *not* work to eliminate slave/unsafe labor practices simply because human nature does not allow it to do so.

If my family is broke and my baby is starving, I'm going to buy her 3 bottles of "slave labor" milk if the same money can only afford "clean labor" milk. Necessity.

Society is fucked. Success is now measured by how well you make money, not by how good of a person you are anymore. Greed rules the day.

You cite an example that is to the extreme...and yes, true...but only one small factor.
Many buy cheaper not out of necessity, but for reasons of greed. They want to be able to buy more with their money.

Walmart does not just sell milk and baby formula. It seels everything from Candy to X-Box. From jewelry to TV's.

You want to blame the CEO's that employ hundreds, if not thousands, while making money.

I blame the desire of Americans to have as much "stuff" as they can get.

The free market does work and would work like a charm if Americans stopped trying to keep up with the Jonses.

If you want a world were the CEOs are kings why dont you and bripat get together and start your lists of who you will euthenize first?

I'm a realist. We already live in that world.

(where CEO's are more influential than politicians... the euthanizing things is just your paranoia going for a stroll.)

What my company's CEO decides has far more influence on my life than even anything Obama does.

Taxation in the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Types of taxes

Under the current tax system in China, there are 26 types of taxes, which, according to their nature and function, can be divided into the following 8 categories:
Turnover taxes. This includes three kinds of taxes, namely, Value-Added Tax, Consumption Tax and Business Tax. The levy of these taxes are normally based on the volume of turnover or sales of the taxpayers in the manufacturing, circulation or service sectors.
Income taxes. This includes Enterprise Income Tax (effective prior to 2008, applicable to such domestic enterprises as state-owned enterprises, collectively owned enterprises, private enterprises, joint operation enterprises and joint equity enterprises), Foreign Investment Enterprise and Foreign Enterprise Income Tax ("FEIT"), and Individual Income Tax. These taxes are levied on the basis of the profits gained by producers or dealers, or the income earned by individuals. Please note that the new Enterprise Income Tax Law of the People's Republic of China has replaced the aboves two enterprises taxes as from 1 January 2008.
Resource taxes. This consists of Resource Tax and Urban and Township Land Use Tax. These taxes are applicable to the exploiters engaged in natural resource exploitation or to the users of urban and township land. These taxes reflect the chargeable use of state-owned natural resources, and aim to adjust the different profits derived by taxpayers who have access to different availability of natural resources.
Taxes for special purposes. These taxes are City Maintenance and Construction Tax, Farmland Occupation Tax, Fixed Asset Investment Orientation Regulation Tax, Land Appreciation Tax, and Vehicle Acquisition Tax. These taxes are levied on specific items for special regulative purposes.
Property taxes. This encompasses House Property Tax, Urban Real Estate Tax, and Inheritance Tax (not yet levied).
Behavioural taxes. This includes Vehicle and Vessel Usage Tax, Vehicle and Vessel Usage License Plate Tax, Stamp Tax, Deed Tax, Securities Exchange Tax (not yet levied), Slaughter Tax and Banquet Tax. These taxes are levied on specified behaviour.
Agricultural taxes. Taxes belonging to this category are Agriculture Tax (including Agricultural Specialty Tax) and Animal Husbandry Tax which are levied on the enterprises, units and/or individuals receiving income from agriculture and animal husbandry activities.
Customs duties. Customs duties are imposed on the goods and articles imported into and exported out of the territory of the People's Republic of China, including Excise Tax.

So you suggest we let them die and eat the bugs and rats our selves?

I take it you have never really understood the theroy of survival of the fittest.

The reason those animals are endanagered is becuase they were uanble to adapt and their "competition" for food is beating them out as THEY were able to adapt.

I can not speak for you....but I do not eat the bugs and rodents...I am not competition for the endangered species....so it seems there is another species that is beating them out.

Read up on survival of the fittest. If you do, you wont say something as naive as you did (above).

If you want a world were the CEOs are kings why dont you and bripat get together and start your lists of who you will euthenize first?

I'm a realist. We already live in that world.

(where CEO's are more influential than politicians... the euthanizing things is just your paranoia going for a stroll.)

What my company's CEO decides has far more influence on my life than even anything Obama does.

What do you think of executing CEOs for producing toxic products?

do you think the coke CEO likes that part of the deal?

The flip side is quite clever. As China bleeds off our industries, it doesn't merely sit there getting rich. Our property values decline. Our economy is collapsing. There is a fire sale of investment. China comes back and buys up the United States not only at bargain basement prices, but with extra incentives thrown in. I watched it happen in California, then came to Nevada where the gratitude to China is even MORE pronounced. China isn't merely buying up US acreage, it is buying up the loyalty of Americans. Those that stay here that is. China and Chinese companies have been hiring off the best and brightest of unemployed Americans for many years.

China is only doing what we did to become a great country.

Nope.

Fuck coke.

Shasta can make their special blend that tastes like coke and expand like crazy in the US while coke sits on the self because it costs too much.

Well, first and foremost, most of the Coke sold here is going to be made here (or in Canada or Mexico). It doesn't have a long enough shelf life to justify moving it by boat. Any Coke made in China is goign to be sold in China or other Asian countries.

Secondly, the big brands are big for a reason- they are good at what they do. I mean, yeah, I guess you can go out and buy RC Cola... I wouldn't.

(For the record, Mountain Dew is my poison of choice.)

Finally, when a CEO says that he can do business easier in a "communist" country than our supposedly free market, that should make us all pause.

You cite an example that is to the extreme...and yes, true...but only one small factor.
Many buy cheaper not out of necessity, but for reasons of greed. They want to be able to buy more with their money.

Walmart does not just sell milk and baby formula. It seels everything from Candy to X-Box. From jewelry to TV's.

You want to blame the CEO's that employ hundreds, if not thousands, while making money.

The free market does work and would work like a charm if Americans stopped trying to keep up with the Jonses.

This is like saying "the free market would work if the free market would work."

This is like saying "the free market would work if the free market would work."

It is?

I see it as saying the free market would work if Americans did what they say and not just say and do otherwise.

lol a major Corporation is finding a government that is aspiring to be THE global economic superpower and doesn't give a fuck about human rights or the environment friendlier to business than us?

I am shocked, SHOCKED to hear this.

Nope.

Fuck coke.

Well, first and foremost, most of the Coke sold here is going to be made here (or in Canada or Mexico). It doesn't have a long enough shelf life to justify moving it by boat. Any Coke made in China is goign to be sold in China or other Asian countries.

Secondly, the big brands are big for a reason- they are good at what they do. I mean, yeah, I guess you can go out and buy RC Cola... I wouldn't.

(For the record, Mountain Dew is my poison of choice.)

Finally, when a CEO says that he can do business easier in a "communist" country than our supposedly free market, that should make us all pause.

Very...VERY..wise words.

Forum List

Back