Clarence Thomas Signals Willingness to Overturn Obergefell v. Hodges

I can't imagine it being overturned.

With abortion, the argument from the right is that abortion is the taking of a life. Obviously, no such argument can be made regarding gay marriage. I also think far more people are against abortion than gay marriage.

The GOP needs to be careful...

Commentary:
Thomas and Alito are out of control! Unlike abortion which has always been a highly emotional issue, the issue of same sex marriage has largely been forgotten. Gay folks are getting married and most people do not even notice. They are productive and responsible members of the community. They maintain homes and are parents to children. They have jobs and pay taxes. The reality of same sex marriage harms no one.

One the brighter side, Thomas has a problem. Who is going to bring a case to SCOTUS who has standing before the court-that is, someone who can legitimately claim that they were personally harmed by same sex marriage?

Sure, you have those bakers, photographers, and wedding planners who have been sued for refusing services to gay couples. However, they were harmed by the fact that there are laws against discrimination and denial of access to public accommodations. In addition, these same people would undoubtedly refused services and accommodations to same sex couples who wanted to celebrate a civil union, or just their commitment to each other. So the issue is not marriage itself.
Sure can tell it's an election year, and that one party is caught with their knickers down.
They don't have a policy to run on, and they've fucked up the first two years bigly. :eusa_whistle:

Wow, leftists still deny they are grooming are grade school children. We need to get our morals back, we need to overturn Obergefell and Griswald.

What will happen is Red States will pass laws making Marriage between a man and a woman

Gays will sue based on Oberfell and the court will reverse itself
Now I have forgotten the previous cases, but I believe the Faith and Credit clause means a gay or interracial marriage created in a pro state still has to be protected in a con state, yes?

Now I have forgotten the previous cases, but I believe the Faith and Credit clause means a gay or interracial marriage created in a pro state still has to be protected in a con state, yes?

To me, that is obvious
States have to honor contracts written in other states and marriage is a contract

You can’t have some states allow it and others not recognize gay marriages from other states

Commentary:
Thomas and Alito are out of control! Unlike abortion which has always been a highly emotional issue, the issue of same sex marriage has largely been forgotten. Gay folks are getting married and most people do not even notice. They are productive and responsible members of the community. They maintain homes and are parents to children. They have jobs and pay taxes. The reality of same sex marriage harms no one.

One the brighter side, Thomas has a problem. Who is going to bring a case to SCOTUS who has standing before the court-that is, someone who can legitimately claim that they were personally harmed by same sex marriage?

Sure, you have those bakers, photographers, and wedding planners who have been sued for refusing services to gay couples. However, they were harmed by the fact that there are laws against discrimination and denial of access to public accommodations. In addition, these same people would undoubtedly refused services and accommodations to same sex couples who wanted to celebrate a civil union, or just their commitment to each other. So the issue is not marriage itself.
How does he feel about overturning Loving v Virginia?

Given todays TRUMP Court, I think Same Sex Marriage would be overturned if it came to a vote

Justice Roberts, Thomas and Alito wrote scathing opposition to Obergefell. I don’t think they have changed their minds

Meaning they only need two of the three Trump judges to overturn. Given their voting record, I think all three would overturn

Given todays TRUMP Court, I think Same Sex Marriage would be overturned if it came to a vote

Justice Roberts, Thomas and Alito wrote scathing opposition to Obergefell. I don’t think they have changed their minds

Meaning they only need two of the three Trump judges to overturn. Given their voting record, I think all three would overturn
Same sex marriage was overwhelmingly rejected by voters in California. It took one GAY activist judge on his last day before retirement to throw out that vote. Don't expect sympathy if Obergefell is overturned.

Forum List

Back